Speed triple!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Backmarker, Nov 9, 2009.

1. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My 2007 S3. Had her for 3 years. I put more miles on in those 3 years than ever. The Speed 3 made me ride her constantly. I was drawn to her. My other bikes and 3 cars were barely ever used. God damn, I loved that bike...:cry
  2. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

Fucking hell!!!!!:huh:eek1:huh:nod:raabia:super:brow:knary:eek2:eek2:yikes:2cry

That is one of the sexiest S3's I have ever seen. Can't put a finger on exactly what it is, but it's perfect!!:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1
  3. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had both the 955 and the 1050? If so, would you mind comparing the character of the motors? I have heard some say that they enjoyed the 955 more.:ear
  4. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to thespeedtriple.com. Several there have had both. I think most would recommend the 1050. You may get flamed a bit, we can be shits. Everything you need will be answered though.
  5. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ive never ridden a 955 but I cant possibly imagine that the 955 would be more fun than the 1050....

:lol3
  6. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I've ridden both, and the 1050 seems a bit more refined, with a bit more power. I'm still loving my '01 though! :deal

[​IMG]
  7. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    This is story that I saved from a 2001 article from the now defunct site Thundertoys.com. I had a roulette green 2000 S3 at the time, and this sums up how I felt about the bike back then. I have a 2013 S3 SE now.. it's a helluva bike. The story below could apply to it just as well.

Enjoy ...

At the recent Park City Motorcycle Week, Triumph, along with Ducati, BMW and Buell had their factory trailers with all their demo bikes present for public evaluation. It was my good fortune that I was able to take a couple of these machines into the mountains surrounding the Park City Ski Resort. Following all the test rides on the various marques, the one that is permanently etched in my memory is the ride on the Triumph Speed Triple - a true hooligan bike. Though I have never been a fan of the dual headlamp front end styling of the Speed Triple, the rest of the bike has nice, clean, unencumbered lines with the frame clearly visible. I miss the little fairing the 1999 model used to clean up the area in front of the gauges and dash. All in all though, the bike offers a very nice blend of metal, rubber and fiberglass to make it an attractive 432 lb. package.

Now, lets move on to the important stuff - performance. Or, in this case, PERFORMANCE!!! Never in my thirty-plus years in motorsports have I experienced the sort of acceleration provided by the Speed Triple on that nice sunny September morning in Park City. (For further clarification, one needs to know that I've competed in race cars ranging from dragsters to Indy Cars, a great number of motorcycles and everything in between). After making the turn from State Road 224 onto the Winter Sports Park Road, and rolling at about 10 mph, I gave the Triple full throttle. What happened next I'm not really sure other than I flashed back to an episode of Star Trek where the Enterprise reached warp speed and the stars go from little dots to white streaks. I actually got dizzy and backed off the throttle. As I looked back toward the intersection, I was astonished at the amount of distance I had covered in just about two seconds. I began to wonder if it had scared me, but realized that I had been severely enlightened. A new experience, a new rush, and a new love affair. The rest of the Triple's performance was equally enjoyable. At about 125 mph on S.R. 224 I was still in fifth gear and not yet at red line. The bike seemed so stable and solid that I felt as though I could take my hands off the grips and it would continue going exactly in the direction it was pointed. No, I didn't do it. The suspension was a bit on the stiff side, but just right for a quick run on the road course where the HMRA ran the vintage street races later that day. The Triple was easy to set up for a turn with a great deal of late braking available. The raw power to the rear wheel coming from the 108 bhp, 955 cc triple, helps the bike accelerated briskly out of the turns. As I experienced on the race course as well as on the winding road that leads to the Winter Sports Park, the Triple is very manageable and a lot of fun to on both the tight turns, sweepers and straights.

Prior to leaving the Triumph compound I had been advised by Triumph's Manager of Consumer Events, Myrrh Davis that the front brakes on the Speed Triple were "a beautiful thing". How right she was about those two 320 mm disks and the 4 piston calipers.. As an unexpected Stop sign popped out from behind recent brush growth I quickly remembered her words as I began to get a death grip on the brake lever. After riding a Harley most the summer I've become conditioned to applying a hard squeeze to bring my ride to a stop. The Triple required nothing more than a very light squeeze to bring me from approximately 50 mph to a complete stop. On the other end, the rear brake really isn't much to write about. It's actually a bit on the weak side. But, with the front brakes being what they are, the rear is adequate.

The conclusion after riding all those bikes I during the Park City Motorcycle Week is that I now need to add a Triumph to my garage. The Speed Triple would be the perfect bike for blasting around town and up and down our local canyons. With the performance and weight of Triumph's Sprint ST being virtually the same as the Triple, and with a fairing and optional bags, I think the Sprint ST may be the bike for me. I don't know where to put her yet, but I'm sure I can find a spot. In closing, just let me say that the one thing you need to do, as soon as you finish this article is go to your nearest Triumph dealer and take a ride on that bad boy, hooligan bike they've called the Speed Triple.
  8. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    When I had my 07, I was there a fair amount. Never seen such a surly forum before. Attitude over there matches the character of the bike I suppose. :D
  9. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    The story I heard was the regulars there got kicked out of TriumphRAT for being "that way" and created their own forums to be as surly as they cared to be.:lol3

I visit there once in a while. Mainly I prefer TriumphRAT, going back to when I had my Sprint ST.
  10. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am no longer allowed to post on triumph rat...
  11. dasrider

dasrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definately an interesting crowd at thespeedtriple.com, you do typically have to weed through 2-3 pages of adolescent bickering before getting to any substantial information if you're looking for something specifically. That said, there are some very smart fellows over there. Trat is a little better in finding the technical stuff you need, but it's way over moderated.

At any rate, the 1050 mill on my '05 is easily the best part of the bike. It doesn't blow my socks off like my R1 did, but it does deliver a nice low to mid-range punch. I'd rate the seat of the pants power close to the overall effect of an RC51. How and where they deliver that power is very different though. The S3 pulls hard from as low as 2000 RPM with stock gearing - unheard of on a vtwin! I'd say the 1050 is about the ideal street motor with enough power to move quickly without downshifting.

Speaking of shifting, the transmission is okay at best as I have been spoiled by the RC for sure.

The stock brakes on my S3 were garbage with a ridiculously long travel in the lever. Apparently this was an issue with early 1050's that Triumph sold a fix-it package for. I fixed it by completely replacing it with donor '04 R1 parts. Much better! Suspension is pretty decent and fully adjustable.

The bike has a nice raspy note with my Leo Vince slipons, but doesn't quite have the aural presence and satisifaction of an RC51 with Satos. Ridden at sane speeds the S3 sounds a lot like an I4 bike, but on the gas I swear I can almost make out a Porsche flat-6.

Anyway, sorry about the long-winded post, just reflecting on my 1 year of ownership. The Speed Triple is a bucket-list bike and I'm glad I own one. However, there are still plenty of other bikes I need to get some seat time on so I imagine this S3 won't be in my garage a whole lot longer...
  12. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    bobw likes this.
  13. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I see that the Daytona has been dropped for 2018. It isn't on the '18 website.
  14. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike you mean...right? ;-)
  15. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Notwithstanding the flipping goofiest launch event ever, the latest Speed Triple looks excellent. I've owned a Super Duke and S1000R and certainly those are more impressive on paper. And I have ridden the 2017 Tuono Factory which is sublime beyond belief from a motorcycle excellence stand-point. But the spirit and soul of the 1050 Triple just does it for me. I owned a 2011 S3 and rode the wheels off of it. And I now own a 2017R model. I would love to have back lit switch gear and cruise control but not sure that would warrant me dumping my 2017 for a massive financial deficit. I heard the notion of retro-fit of the 2017's but don't see Triumph making that an easy update.

Buy high, sell low, make it up in volume!!!!
    bobw, roma258 and MeinMotorrad like this.
  16. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to see a truly crappy presentation then have a look for the KTM launch of the 790 Duke.

Interesting that you rate the Speedy over the SD1290. I've been trying to figure out what street bike to get to last for the next 5+ years use. The SD is high on the list as is the Street Triple. I'd seen a couple of vids where people were favouring the Speed over the new 765RS which has thrown a spanner in my works.
  17. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    People usually prefer the Street because it "feels" lighter. They've taken mass out of the reciprocating bits, the engine revs higher, quicker, and it has lighter wheels and shorter final drive. This new one will be much less sedate than the old 1050. I would go with the Speed. No replacement for displacement.

Bonus points for IMU traction control and abs. Probably a first for the supernaked class.
    bobw and MeinMotorrad like this.
  18. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The S1000R has had a similar arangement, the Monster 1200Ss have had it for a couple years, the 2017 Super Duke R already has it.

I could see the Ohlins shod Speed Triple RS being a competitor for the SD-R, which has at best an adequate suspension....otherwise I gave it a meh. If they the selling point that they had to keep banging on was sound? There isn't that much of an improvement over the last ones.

P.S. I was one of those that liked the Daytona spec 955 over the 1050....I never got along with the 1050 for whatever reason.
  19. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    Would love to see the improved 1050 in a revamped Sprint ST/GT... though likelihood is not high.

After the S3R, I'm done with nakeds. Just prefer a fully faired sport touring package for road riding.
    curtis6870 likes this.
  20. bingbong

bingbong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apologies for this but I have astrange request.... I’m currently re registering my 2016 speed triple in portugal. The authorities want a picture of the reference number for the standard mirror. I didn’t have standard mirrors on when taking it for inspection and have had to refit standard mirrors. The strange bit is that I’m away for a few months and can’t get a picture, if it’s possible for someone to post a picture up that shows the mirror reference number (without too much background, unless you have a white bike like mine!) I’d be very grateful. I’m not 100% sure there is a reference number either....
    thanks chaps
    :thumb