Speeding in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lone Rider, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get an idea of how serious speeding is in the different Canadian Provinces. Is there a certain kph over the limit where they want to haul you off, deportation, castration, etc?
  2. ezrider

ezrider wannabe cafe-racer

Oddometer:
    i can only speak for ontario. on the 400 series highways, 130 kmph seems to be the threshold of sanity (only a seriously anal cop would give a ticket at that speed). 140 kmph is generally do-able but its anyone's guess what the cop might do. anything over 140 is asking for trouble. all this assuming u're driving/riding sensibly and not weaving and cutting off others.

on regional highways, 20 over is safe, more than 30 over is pushing it.

within towns, follow the speed limit/pace.

be specially careful when entering a town area, slow down to town limits before passing the speed limit sign.

if you want to be super conservative, driving 15 over or less will never get you a ticket...altho u'll be getting passed left, right and center. 15 over means $50 and no points, its usually what a speeding offence gets reduced to if u're lucky.
  3. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of y'all. What I want to know is what the threshold is for hauling me away. I know it is probably subjective. I'm just a dumb American riding in beautiful Canada, etc.
  4. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Except for school zones, 15 over is safe. After that, it varies by ossifer.

School zones, be 5 under. If they catch you, serious coin in fines.
  5. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    If I'm doing 160kph in a 100kph zone will they open fire?
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    160+ is, depending on where, instant suspension, towed away, major fines, court time. Other places, just a $750 fine.

Your call. Due to lack of traffic out in the hinterlands you can always maintain 115-120, so you can cover distance well, but when you get into the East then you have more traffic, but you also have rabbits. :D Always kind of someone else to find the radar for you. In Ontario now, the cops use their equipment setup on the left shoulder of the freeway, so watch for that. If it's a shape on the left, it's radar/laser.
  7. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Drif.
  8. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    They're this serious....

[​IMG]

:lol3
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Marine grade plywood?
  10. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Of course, no expense spared

this one was the real deal though :D

[​IMG]
  11. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up mate, I got nicked for 165k in a 100, anything 50 over means a trip to see the judge, he reduced it to 35k over to save me the trip, ended up being $219 Canadian.

I begged and pleaded with him to make me come back, I even got down on my knees...guess I wasn't his type :lol3
  12. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    That's the kinda info I'm looking for.
    How bad can you be before they get 'really' pissed. 'See the judge'...does that mean they stop your trip...gotta go see him right then?
    I can live with the toll charges..just don't want to interrupt the trip. Thanks.

Edit: What kinda cop coverage did you see in the different Provinces?
  13. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    Be careful in Ontario. We crawl with cops. The Team Cranium tour to Spokane and Ouray saw more police in Ontario that the rest of the trip combined.

BC is cool in the rural areas, and they tend to be greater in numnbers near towns. Same with Alberta.

Why not just slow down and enjoy it? (says the guy who led the Cranium crew across South Dakota at 100 mph) :lol3
  14. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Brad.
    Yeah, it's hard to do...as we all know.
  15. AntWare

Oddometer:
    It works pretty much the same as the US, plead no contest and pay the fine or appear in court on the date on the ticket, no stopping your trip.

He was nice enough to drop it down into the fine zone, obviously, going back for a court hearing was pretty much out.

I usually see more cops just getting out of Texas than on the rest of the whole trip combined. Didn't see a whole lot in Canada.

I saw road signs at the border crossings telling you to disable radar detectors, I'm assuming they're illegal, maybe someone can confirm that though.

Which areas are you looking at mate?
  16. tango

tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    in Alberta radar detectors are permitted.Policing is not excessive.greater than 160 kph (100mph) will get you an immediate tow away and court appearance with the wrong cop but far more likely with a sportbike or a bad attitude.Mostly they will knock your ticket down 15-20 kph.At 200kph no doubt about it your gone.They are generally pretty decent if your not doing something which has led other drivers to phone in a complaint or get caught stunting.Urban areas are less forgiving but the same applies.In the fall migrating animals are extremely hazardous and can appear even in populated areas.If your going somewhere specific in the west let me know and maybe I can be a little more locale specific.
  17. Dawntreader

Dawntreader Tim Horton's or bust

Oddometer:
    Coppers are pretty easy going out here in Alberta, 15 over on the hiways is norm. Watch for photo radar in Edmonton. If you're cutting through a military base stick to the speed limit, I know a guy got pulled over and ticketed for doing 41 in a 40 by a meathead(military police wear red berets) with nothing but time to kill. I also know a guy who got nailed doing 300km/h on the Trans Canada around Moose jaw, lost his bike his lisences and fined 3000$ Stick to the speed limit at night especially in Algonquin Park(those aren't overpasses they're large moose)
  18. Hippiessuck

Hippiessuck Banned

Oddometer:
    Don't fuck with the mounties...
    no matter how fast you are...
    they'll catch you
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
  19. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Do they have those plywood cars all over the place? I rode through Haines Junction, Yukon about a month ago, and saw my first one ever.
  20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    If you get pulled over, take your helmet off. It sounds like common sense but I see alot of riders that don't.