Speeding in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lone Rider, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    On a long sweeper in Alberta I was nailed for 155kph. He was behind a truck coming the other way and never saw him until we passed.

He wrote it for a little less (150??) so he wouldn't have to haul me off.

Something like $345CN.

Saw only one Mountie in BC and not a one in Yukon.
    5000-5200 rpm was the normal mode when getting from point to point.
  2. R-1150-RS

R-1150-RS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you've been pushing your luck if you've been riding the 400 series haighways at those speeds.

120 is a more realistic threashold, and only if the cop isn't in the mood to issue a citation.

In a recent ticket I had an unmarked patrol car (O.P.P.) follow me for 10 km at the limit, then ding me for speeding when I accelerated to pass slower traffic. Negotiated a reduced charge and fine with the prosecuter, but was tempted to take it to trial. The prosecuter was a 'take it or leave it' kind of guy so I didn't think a trial would go my way and took the deal.

Two weeks earlier I had been stopped doing 67 in a 50 km/h zone. The cop was talkative and saw my business card and we talked shop for some time.

Even though this was my second ticket in about 15 years, I wasn't prepared to give my insurance co. an excuse to ream me. (Daughter and wife each had an accident in one year, after 20 years with co, with no claims.) In court the officer mentioned to the prosecuter that he had no evidence for my case and it was dismissed. Afterwards I approached the officer and he thanked me for the advice I had given him and said 'that's what helped him loose the evidence'.

It takes all kinds!!

Gary
    :) :)
  3. RedRyder

RedRyder Jose Adventurista

Oddometer:

I think this may be the same car :D just outside of Haines Junction. :1drink

[​IMG]
  4. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I think mine was a little north of there mate. I was on my way from Dawson City to Watson Lake and left Hwy 2 for Hwy 4 at Carmacks.
  5. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone gets a ticket in BC, let me know... :evil
  6. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    30kph over the posted speed limit is considered excessive speeding. If pull over and be polite they just give you a $175 fine. Excessive jumps to $250+ kms over etc.

Here is the catch, you don't need to pay right away or even possibly at all if you are a tourist. You need to check with your home state to see if they have reciprocating laws regarding traffic fines. Keep in mind if you have an outstanding fine the next time they catch you, your vehicle gets impounded I believe.

The crappy thing for BCers is that we also get insurance points for traffic violations that we have to pay annually; $50 per point only if you get 4 or more by your birthday... it's kinda stupid since we get to pay twice for breaking the law.
    If you stay at 30kph over the posted you should do fine.
  7. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    The amount the police tolerate over the speed limit really varies a lot over Canada. a 10kph over is perfectly fine on public highways through pretty much all of Canada. In the Toronto-Montreal corridor (especially near Montreal) 20-30kph over is the norm. But in western ontario (I'm thinking over lake superior) you don't want to go any more than 10kph over -- I've been stopped there twice for doing over 150kph in a 90kph zone, they were nice enough to drop my recorded speed down to 139kph. In Alberta you can get away with pretty high speeds on the major roads, typically I ride around 130kph -- policing is largely restricted to the Edmonton-Calgary route, and is especially bad on weekends.