Speedo and ABS not working

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Jaimoto, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    Bike is a 07, and the problem started a couple of months ago; during a few seconds the speedo showed zero and the ABS light came up and stayed on, then everything went back to normal.

Now the problem is permanent. Speedo reads 0 and the ABS button shows a constant light (no flashes but a steady light) and ABS won't work.
    My mechanic, who's a 990 owner too, checked fuses/cables and everything looks fine. Then he tried installing his 990R speedo sensor on mine but my clock still showed 0 km/h so he ruled out a sensor problem (I'm not sure if a speedo sensor from a R model should work on a bike with ABS)
    He thinks I may have a problem with my clock but I believe it's a sensor or button failure since ABS won't work. Sadly, I think the only way to find out what's going on is replacing parts, I read about some ABS button failures (driving in the rain and water gets into the button, not my case) but I wonder if anyone had similar problems.
    Thanks.
  2. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    ABS was also affected. The speedo was working only seconds after turning off and restarting the engine. I did this on a trip. I was also getting a hissing sound from the ABS area. Things deteriorated rapidly. My battery got flat, and my R/R cooked my ABS and CDI. Never understood if the battery was the reason or the R/R.
    Cheers.
  3. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    ABS light steady on means ABS in recovery mode due to malfunctioning of front or rear sensor.
    Sensors from S or R models won't work as they are designed to read the rotor bolts and not the ABS ring.
    IMHO you have a faulty front sensor.
    You could try the rear sensor on the front: ABS will still not work but the speedo will.
  4. Motrix

Motrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I think I have figured out what that second wire was for, the one also zip tied to the front left brake line could be the temperature sensor. Anyone can confirm this? It seems the tip was broken off but looking at the microfiche it looks like this could be it.

About the speedo wire, hopefully today I will remount tires and everything and try again and hope...otherwise I will have to do my trip without the speedo/odometer. I have a tom tom which will also provides speed and odometer.

I went to my local ktm dealer and they are closing for the first part of august, so even if I ordered the speedo wire (always if this is the problem) I would not have it in time for this weekend. Plus they were not real helpful, just telling me to bring the bike in...

If it is the CDI...do I risk the problem getting more serious and being stranded in the middle of nowhere?

Thanks guys!
  5. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    About the CDI, I strongly recommend you avoid doing what I did. Turning on and off the motor often in order to get speed reading. I don't think there is any other danger.
    The speedo whire in the 950 and 990R models comes straight from the sensor from the wheel. On the 990A the sensor goes to the CDI and out comes the cables connecting to the tripometer. The tripometer is the same on 950A and early 990. The only difference is the sensor on 950 takes the signal from the bolts while on the 990 from the ABS disc.
    Cheers.
  6. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    Thanks! didn't know about the recovery mode.
    I'll try the rear sensor on the front and will report back.
  7. oriol2

oriol2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I just had the same issue two days ago. In my case I've been working on my 990 06 during 3 weeks in order to fix few things. For that reason I moved the ABS stuf to reach the line exhaust.

When I finished the 990's surgery I found out that the speedo and ABS weren't working at all. The speedo showed 0km/h and the ABS light was always turned on.

I checked the sensor, It seemed to be ok.

I checked the wiring to the speedo, It seemed to be fine also.

Then (even I couldn't understand what has to do the ABS with the speedo..?¿?) I checked the ABS unit under the seat. And here I found the gap: the main connector was a little bit loose (just a little!) and it was really difficult to see it at first sight. I just plug it again and voilà! Speedo and ABS came to me again!

Hope it can be useful 4 u.
  8. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    Thanks Oriol.
    After reading Salzig post I bought a front ABS sensor since what he said made a lot of sense to me: couldn't be the speedo since ABS wasn't working, and Speedometer and ABS are not related. Could be the ABS button but since it stayed on I thought it should be working.

So I installed the new front sensor today, speedo is working again and the ABS light doesn't stay on anymore. Everything looks fine, didn't test the ABS in the underground parking but I'm pretty sure it's OK.
  9. oriol2

oriol2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great!

Ride on :)
  10. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speedometer and ABS are connected.
    The instrument is the same as a lot of other KTM models and it's designed to read a signal that is 6 pulses per wheel revolution.
    ABS unit converts the signal from the front ring and sensor (that is "many" pulses per revolution) and sends it to the speedometer.
    This is true only for old style instruments.
  11. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    Sorry, when I said that Spedo and ABS were not related I was referrring at the most likely failure on my ABS system not to the fact that the speedo was showing zero speed: my mechanic blamed the speedo but I couldn't see how the speedo was the cause for the ABS brakes not working.
    By the way, thanks for your advice.
  12. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok!
    I tend to dress professor's clothes sometimes :D.
  13. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    The problem is back.

Speedo and ABS worked fine the last two days with the new sensor, today the speedo was showing zero and ABS light stayed on for a few seconds, then went back to normal. That happened a few times.

BTW, I received a PM from an inmate wondering if my lights were working OK. They don't, but I didn't mention it since -again- I see no relationship between Speedo, ABS and lights. He said he had the same problems and turned out to be a faulty relay, he was loosing speedo, ABS, tail lights/indicators and horn.
    Now i realized that everytime my speedo showed zero and ABS light turned on, I lost my low lights for a few seconds (HIDs) and I even burned the high ligths bulb (halogen) twice in the past...

I'm the most ignorant person on earth when it comes to electrics but still doesn't make any sense to me. Do I need a mechanic or a priest...?
  14. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    It could be the main power relay, located down on the right side, behind the bash plate.
  15. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Make sure they are not too close to each other. My ballast interfered with my CDI to the point the motor turned off instanlty.
    Cheers.
  16. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you continue to have problems, particularly worrying if Claudio is not able to solve it.

I keep telling you to junk the ABS anyway :evil, maybe this is the god's way of telling you the same?
  17. Sacal

Sacal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had this issue when I put my bike in storage for the summer (yes I said summer! :huh left it in Romania while I went back to sort some things in England) Finally picked up the bike and started to check all connectors and the sensors. As Oriol2 said above, I checked the main connector on the ABS unit and it looked ok but moved a little, then I saw there is a locking lever on that connector that had come loose. Pushed the lever all the way down and locked the connector in place....ABS was working again. The lever is a little hard to see if you don't know its there, hope it helps someone in future.
  18. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I have a 2007 ktm 990 and I took the EFI out and put carbs. When I removed the stock wire harness I lost ABS so I wanted it back with my carb conversion.

My Speedo and ABS did not work so I read the wire diagram and found that the abs wire under the seat next to the ABS box has to have power or ABS and speedo will not work.

I added power to that wire and it worked. Its next to the blue wire in the white clip.
  19. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    Oh, I should have posted the end of the story.

My mechanic checked every relay he found, fuses,...at some point after taking a look at wiring diagram I though it could be the R/R; bike runs fine, then the Speedo dies and I lose my low beam HID lights. Or, if high beam is on (halogen), when speedo dies it burns the bulb.

He took some readings and found the R/R was working fine, after working five or six times on mi bike he gave up and didn't want to charge me. Very nice guy.
    I left the bike at the KTM dealer and they wanted to check relay, fuses ... but I mentioned "what about the R/R", more readings, working fine, etc...

At that point I was a bit scared. No ODO is not a big deal but I remembered this post about the R/R cooking the ABS and CDI so I ordered the dealer to install a new R/R: problem solved :thumb

20. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is R/R ???
    I hate abbreviations. You only know,....when you know.

My ABS failed first, my front sensor cable (990 ADV standard) was damaged by brush or something.
    Replaced it, but no fixee. ABS light remains on.

about six months later, my speedo fails, just riding on a paved section, it stops working.
    I'll check the connector under the seat.......