Speedo and ABS not working

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Jaimoto, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    R/R stands for Regulator / Rectifier
    It "seems" mine managed to damage the ABS sensor, burned a few bulbs and made my HID act funny. May not be you case.

Are you sure your first sensor cable was damaged? since you replaced it and didn't work I would look at ABS button as next suspect, signal goes like this: wheel -> sensor -> button -> speedo
  2. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  3. maxtotow

maxtotow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i had opened a new thread about this on my 2012 990. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972930&highlight=speedo
    and now it looks like it has stopped completely and the turn bike off and back on method does not work and I never checked the lights operation before today. When it quit this time the only thing working was the neutral light, tach and clock. everything else was as above in the quote.
    So, which faulty relay should I be looking for if my symptoms are as in the quote above?
  4. maxtotow

maxtotow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    as i noted in another thread about a dead battery. after pulling and resetting some fuses all is working as normal again. question is, for how long?
  5. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I know I am digging this up from the grave but it was also true for me. I replaced the rear sub frame and the abs connector got loose. After about 20 miles on the first drive I got the abs light and then the speedo quit. It was only the main connector on the abs under the seat.
  6. mrrgoncalves

mrrgoncalves Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi lads, here we are in 2019 and still have new problems related with abs and speedo.

FYI my 07 990adv turn off the speedo to 0 and turn on the abs light after turn the handlebar to the right.

Yes...just after turn the handlebar to the right. Before that everything runs normally, then turn off the bike and start again and it's ok until a new right turn.

Just wonder what wire should be damaged...but after eye checked close the lights and start lock and nothing different

Do you heard something like this before?
  7. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speed 0 and ABS light means front ABS sensor stops working when you turn the handlebar.
    Follow the wireing and check for damages or misplaced connector.
    Damage may be under the insulation and impossible to see.
  8. SuperLynx

SuperLynx n00b

Oddometer:
    Good day to all. Newbie here.
    Old thread I know but with a spin.!
    Hopefully some genius can give me a answer/solution.
    I have a 2007/08 990 Adv (ABS), 46000km/27800mi on the clock, South African edition so I assume the same as in the EU.
    My speedo started acting up recently.
    I am the third owner of this bike so don’t know what stuff and repair has been done to it since, though it has been serviced at a stealer of some sort.
    Issue: While driving, the speedo would go to zero at random times and in hot conditions.
    Bike: All is stock on the bike except for Leo Vince pipes. MAPS are standard, no side stand relocation, no ECU mods,etc.....
    Effect: I would drive along at what ever speed and in what ever condition. Speedo will go zero and stay at zero. As soon as I pull the clutch lever, at whatever speed or gear, the speedo will come back on until the clutch is let back out. What makes this more interesting is the fact that when I apply load to the electrical system, ie the rear brake or indicators, the speedo reacts to this. With the indicators/flickers on, the speedo shows and don't show accordingly. Same applies to the rear brake, when the speedo goes zero and I apply the rear brake, the speedo comes back and reads normal.
    I have buzzed out all known wiring paths, I have looked at all known wiring issues that is well documented on this forum. None prevails!!!!!!!
    What remains a mystery and very curious is the fact that the clutch action is a constant. As the speedo goes zero and the clutch is pulled, the speedo reading comes back.
    Your wisdom is appreciated!
  9. SuperLynx

SuperLynx n00b

Oddometer:
    I must also add that I have disconnected the clutch lever switch from the clutch lever and it did not make a change! With the switch out, I was able to press it manually when the speedo goes zero and it did not make a change. With the switch removed, and taped to the handle bar, there was no change! It seems as of the action of pulling the clutch lever in and out will activate or de-activate the speedo, which leaves me baffled!!!!! Are there any mechanical to electrical connection between the speedo and clutch system?????
  10. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a ground issue.
    There's a ground connection in the snorkel area, a bounch of brown wires with a ring terminal connected to the frame.
    I'd start there.
  11. SuperLynx

SuperLynx n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Salzig. I'll have a look at it again.
    When this issue first appeared I disassembled the head unit/light/speedo and had the tanks off. The ground connection in the snorkel area I did check, but not the individual brown/earth wires. I have a looming water pump overhaul waiting, so will probably tackle this issue then.
    On a side note, I saw yesterday when this gremlin stuck its head out again, that the action of pulling in the clutch only works when the engine idles; in other words, with the speedo reading zero, the clutch is pulled and the reading comes back. O the other hand, when at speed and pulling in the clutch, but keeping the revs up around 3000 - 4000 rpm for instance, causes the speedo to go back to zero. I am assuming that the increase in vibration levels with the engine NOT at idle, may cause the potential weak wiring connection to act up.