Speedpro Cobra exhaust - loudest exhaust?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Bumbobee, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Bumbobee

Bumbobee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I came across this exhaust company from Germany and it looks like they have amazing stuff. Seems to be the loudest exhaust I have come across for the 1200 GS. Was wondering if anyone here is running the slip on or slip on + full system? I'm trying to find videos of it to hear the sound but the best I found is a R1200R bike with it and it sounds wicked.

Check it out

https://www.cobraexhaust.de/SPEEDPR...al-ECE-BMW-R-1200-GS-LC-Adventure-Rallye-2017

Anyone know of any other exhausts that are loud for the 1200GS? My Akropovic slip on sounds ok but it isn't really loud at all.
  2. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Just take the silencer off...
    Bumbobee likes this.
  3. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't like your neighbors?
    CaliDefector likes this.
  4. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Are you kidding me? I love my neighbors, even the ones that dislike the fact that I'm Canadian and support Trump haha
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Boxer engine doesn't have glorious sound on its own to make me want to amplify it and make it louder - ymmv... Akrapovic, Remus etc may not even have the noise as a design parameter they're trying to accomplish either! Noise levels aren't particularly higher with either slip-on vs stock but rather the sound changed the tone to be deeper or so I thought of my full Ti Akrapovic system I used to have...:deal

If you want just noise, have you tried to run w/o slip-on ie. with maybe turn-down end off of the header? You could get one out of Canadian Tire to try and report - it'll be louder for sure but you may not enjoy it... :D
  6. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't that screw up the tuning and engine? Does the 1200 has sensors to auto adjust to running just header?
  7. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't what screw up engine - not quite following? Not having a slip-on? If yes, then got nuthin' to do w that - remove the slip-on and run without it if you feel like (but it may be a bit too noisy)...

Yes, both R1200 and R1250 LC do have (or does has :D) sensors to adjust - sensors are on the headers OE or aftermarket...

:thumb
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're supposed to be riding a Harley with straight pipes. Those loud pipes just make the bike sound like it's passing gas.
    CaliDefector and lewisjr1 like this.
  9. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loud pipes save lives!

Or maybe they just compensate for riders with inadequate skills?

Have you ever been stuck riding behind some drone with straight pipes? It's painful.
  10. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Question: Anyone runs loud-er and wicked-er exhaust on R1200GS?
    Answer: Get a Harley w straight pipes so you can save lives and annoy those riding behind you!

Close thread... :lol3
  11. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take the baffle out of your current exhaust can that should be louder.

As others have said just pull the exhaust can if you want loud. Or you can disable the flap and then you will hear the motor without the DB reducing flap. It does not make back pressure or affect torque in any way. It is there to pass noise compliance and that is it.

All I know is my Akra headers and Remus 8 can is just right for me.

Do you really want to be a Harley in BMW clothing?
  12. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    scottdc and CaliDefector like this.
  13. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    "Do you really want to be a Harley in BMW clothing?"

Lol dude, my first bike was a 2009 Night Rod Special so I'm a BMW rider with Harley clothing and even have a Harley frame bag on my 1200GS :p
  14. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Do you have any kind of tuning for running headers and remus pipe?
  15. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I run a PC V with Auto Tune and POD 300 to view the information on while running.
  16. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Wow your bike must run nice. I had a thundermax auto tuner on my vrod and it worked great. Do you feel some more power and better responsiveness? Have any videos or sound clips of your bike?
  17. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does run nice but the cost is I use more fuel. I only get 40-44 MPG depending on how I am running. Well if I am in a 55mph zone I can get 46 or a bit better.

There is no free lunch as we all know. Since this last 1500 mile trip I need to check the logs and see what was going on over that 1500 miles. I may be able to lean some more areas out and do a bit better on the fuel. I am still a bit fat in the cruise range and will work on that. I did notice at 75 mph that my TPS and AFR were higher then I realized at 14.2 so I need to lean the AFR up into the 23% range of throttle postilion.

I am not looking for power I am looking to fuel the bike to what I consider proper AFR. They are lean from the factory in the lower TPS and RPM ranges. The RT showed that plainly on the dyno.

I have no sound clips as I am not really into that stuff. To me the bike sounds nice but is not really loud. It is basically as loud as when the exhaust valve opens the entire way. It is just that loud at start up since with headers the flap is gone. It is a bit louder then stock but really not so much.

That is why I asked about loud and Harley? The Akra or the Remus has a very nice sound to my ears. Take out the baffles and it sounds like crap to me. I am past wanting to turn gas into noise, but I do enjoy a nice sounding exhaust.
  18. Dukegr

Dukegr n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone has any experience with the Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde exhaust systems.
    Apparently they can run from ultra silent to super loud on the fly and they are Bmw GS specific build.
    Has anyone ever tried those??
  19. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Someone on a facebook group recommended that particular exhaust saying it is the loudest. The price tag is extremely high though and I can't figure out if that is for a full system or just the slip on? All those systems have a switch where you can make it sound like stock and then open it up full.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Canada doesn't have noise restrictions on vehicles?

As mentioned, a loud boxer sounds like shit. The opposed twins do not sound at all good with loud pipes.
    double_entendre and CaliDefector like this.