SpeedWeek 2021 Mon.8/03-Fri.12/03 Lake Gairdner

Discussion in 'Australia' started by GodSilla, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    @TinyLambert WOW glad we are not in the same class anymore.

A 500cc V8 at what 12000 rpm?
    Richarde1605 and TinyLambert like this.
  2. TinyLambert

TinyLambert Tiny

Oddometer:
    The power should start to drop off after 16,000 :photog just before anything that's not bolted on well enough
    BergDonk, brstar, numbat and 3 others like this.
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to hear and see that run Tiny. That's a great build you are attempting.
    TinyLambert and Boxa like this.
  4. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    My wife - herself a former bike racer - listened to about five minutes of his ego-tripping and just said "I don't need this crap" and walked out; several people followed her. I hung around in the hope that he would get onto the real purpose of a Competitors briefing. I was disappointed. In hindsight, I should have walked out too.
    As to "trusting him with our lives" - err, no. That's down to the RFS and the medics who will have established protocols & procedures among themselves.
  5. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    Someone has to make the calls. As i said i trust him to make the right ones.
    Precis likes this.
  6. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    Well it is good to hear you and your wife will be stepping up next year to volunteer to run this section for the club from now on, I know they will all greatly appreciate your combined superior experience. It is so obviously seriously needed. Well done, we will happily renew some much needed sponsorship now we are assured of the increase in professionalism.
  7. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm, well now then!
    My diary says I should be at Mandurah WA on or about 22nd March. So being halfway there 10 days beforehand is probably too good of a coincidence to pass up.
    I can feel a plan developing here.:wings:happay

Cheers
    Brian
  8. Precis

Oddometer:
    PMed.
  9. TenereMark

TenereMark Where are we????????

Oddometer:
    Depending whether or not I decide to go to Wyong in February, we might turn up there as well.
    GodSilla and Boxa like this.
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    If you can fit it in, do it while it is still possible.

There is a mining outfit who keep popping up with ideas to mine the salt lake. Money talks, never forget that, so be concerned and do it while you can.

Sweet build.
    IMG_4673.JPG
    Fun-loving Lunatic.
    IMG_3532.JPG
    Richarde1605, Precis and TinyLambert like this.
  11. TenereMark

TenereMark Where are we????????

Oddometer:
    Every year when I come over(February), timing has not been right to drop in on the way back. So if the disease is still prominent, the lake will be as far as I go. Even been in P.A on the Saturday before when the cars are going out.
    GodSilla likes this.
  12. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    That mining mob were there last year, drilling lots of test holes in the salt, something about the TOs wanting it to happen, so you're right.. do it while you can.
    GodSilla likes this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    This one is for all the folks who ride "big 'uns", 1250's and 1290's and the like.

So you think you ride a big one? :imaposer

P3090035.JPG
    mrsdnf, Precis, Boxa and 1 other person like this.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :eek2

someone actually rides... that? :loco
    GodSilla likes this.
  15. TinyLambert

TinyLambert Tiny

Oddometer:
    Lol,, I was asked to design the front end, & accepted the task, I was also offered a ride, but declined that offer, although it handled very well, it topped out at 150 mph, actually, it was faster without the blower & zoomies (the wing was just a talking point & was never going to be on while ridden)
    Being a member of the Silverton dry lakes racing team is where my salt addiction started,,,
  16. MonoMark

MonoMark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few of us are coming up from the Tasmanian Adventure Riders group, six at this stage. Plan to stay for 4 days. Looking forward to seeing some weird and wonderful machinery and their creators. Coming from Tassie the heat will be the thing to be careful about.
  17. Precis

Oddometer:
    And salt-blindness; it's like snow blindness, but with added salt...
    GodSilla and Richarde1605 like this.
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Water, lots of it too, not beer or soft drinks. Just keep putting it into you. Checking the colour of your urine is good, and noticing if you aren't pissing much too, meaning you need more water. I rotate 3 drink bottles, one current, one chilled down and the last current one getting chilled in the esky. Bring as much as you can carry basically, unless you are happy to buy it at shop prices. I take heaps in my ute eh.

One Sunday at the racers camp I was the hottest I've ever been in my life, and after 15 beers and 5 litres of water I simply stopped counting early afternoon, and I didn't piss all day either. Thermometers were bursting. It can get stonkingly hot, but usually hovers around 40 and bounces up to 45 when the 20 minute heatwaves come in the afternoon. Out on the salt it is noticeably cooler, despite the glare. The heat is reflected off the surface, to the point in 45 degree heat you can lie on it and it is cool-ish. Walk off the salt onto the iron-rich rocky landscape and it is like stepping into an oven, you can feel yourself baking. :knary

Long sleeves, broad brimmed hat, and really good sunscreen. Burning the back of your hands is a novelty, as in under the end of your nose. All the places you don't normally burn cop it from underneath with the reflection. Polarised sunnies are the schiz too, to defeat the reflected light everywhere. Binoculars if you have room, it's a big course that runs over the horizon. There's heaps of good info here: https://www.dlra.org.au/spectators.htm
    and make sure to read about the requirements for registration this year, with Covid and all, it will save LOTS of time if you pre-register.

LG2010 460.jpg
    MonoMark and Richarde1605 like this.
  19. gavineakins

gavineakins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got the face mask requirements sorted out.

Cheers - Gavin
    GodSilla and Richarde1605 like this.
  20. MonoMark

MonoMark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers, thanks for the tips. Yeah, I had found that link you posted and going through it. Thinking of getting waterproof liners for my Andy Strapz bags for when the ice guy comes around. Yep, I'll strap on as much water as I can and just buy the rest there.