Spending winter in Socal? around Perris Raceway?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MidasTouch, Aug 25, 2020.

1. MidasTouch

MidasTouch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So im planning on spending Nov 1st - Feb 1st in cali for the first time to motocross 3-5days a week. Ill also be trying to do some road cycling and mtb in the off days. If it works out great id probably spend an additional 3months until spring time before coming back to PA.

Just made an account on Air BNB and holy crap its expensive. Was hoping to get a small house in the Perris Ca area as that seems central to 5/6 good mx tracks within 1.5hr drive.
    no plans on street motorcycle or adv riding at this point, its all going to be mx track/mtb trails and hopefully some dunes big air type stuff.

Dont work and not looking for a job but if something came up in the exotic car world id probably stay out there for a few years until im ready to retire overseas.

im 30 and single.

I was thinking ive got a couple choices to make with hugely varying pros/cons...

1:
    buy a sprinter/truck and drive out there and rent a house for 4-5k all in as my home base. Id put on literally 7-10k miles of local travel to the tracks and trails. so mpg and ease of parking/trailer pulling is essential. I could go with a really nice $25k diesel cayenne/ml350/etc but then id have to pull a small enclosed trailer everyday and deal with parking it etc but then id be able to leave my shit packed up in it helping prevent theft and some other things vs a 15k mx bike or $$$ bicycles in the bed of a truck if I wanted to go elsewhere after the track event.

2:
    buy a large 30+ft toy hauler gooseneck for around 30k and a truck to match.
    live in a trailer park for approx half the cost of the house rental and basically be stuck in a trailer park which is not really my cup of tea, no offense to those who it is, im just an extremely private person.
    The pros of this would be I can leave my east coast home with everything 100% stocked and perfectly setup, be free to stop and ride in alamaba, tx, az, and spend time back and forth from north cali to Socal and stay longer and bounce around. Id then have the truck to load everyday to go riding and exploring but couldn't leave stuff in the truck after for fear of stolen bikes gear etc. plus doing the huge travel miles its going to suck on gas 15mpg or so.

3:
    go small.
    buy a diesel Passat/jetta/GTI and get a bicycle rack and a little hitch to pull a small enclosed bike trailer out. can bounce around but still have to use a house as my base so not as free as the rv scenario as I cant load all the shit into it easily.

3:
    Try and get hooked up with an aspiring racer and split costs on a house, travel fuel to tracks etc.

4:
    ???????????????

Currently have no truck/suv that can make the journey
    no trailer/rv
    1 main race bike
    1 practice/enduro/play bike
    1 mtb
    1 road bike

as far as vehicles go im a supercar guy and dont do any miles at my PA or FL home so I dont own anything besides a beater truck to go to local tracks with here. If I buy a rv/dedicated two truck ill sell them come spring time. buy an suv id probably sell it come spring time as well. id be ok loosing 5k between them on resell as I have the time to get a good deal before November. if I go small w a car and itty bitty trailer id likely keep them as it would be only 20grand combined. id pay someone to drive it back to the east coat and id fly.

thoughts?
    advice?
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perris is a MAJOR crime infested POS town and is just about as bad of a "Tweekerville" as Hemet. Live in a Trailer Park in Riverside County? Fuck that.
    Migolito and SenorCollin like this.
  3. MidasTouch

MidasTouch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interesting and good to know. Ive never been to cali so I have no idea about areas, gang lands, etc. just looking at map chart somewhere perris-temecula seems central for all the tracks.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Temecula is expensive, look at other places like Menifee or Murrieta. There is a huge range in a fairly short distance. Even within places like Menifee you need to be tweeker aware.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Can't help with your specific questions, but there's lots of good MTB out this way, and lots up in Ventura county in and around Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Newbury Park, etc. If you decide to head up this way feel free to reach out. There's a lot in Orange County and LA County as well, but I've not ridden it so can't comment.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You may want to think about locating very close to ONE of the tracks. That way some days you could be riding within a short time. Glenn Helen is an OK area.....also some of the tracks have RV parking if you go that way.....you may actually be able to LIVE at one of the tracks!
    If you give us a list of tracks we can tell you which are in nicer areas. For sure I would live on top of my favorite track...in a rental or RV.
    Also bear in mind your travel time may be different than you imagine. Let us know which track you locate by and we will tell you ACTUAL travel time to the other tracks.
    For starters you may want to look along the 210 freeway corridor, right up against the San Gabriel Mountain foothills. The further east you get the less traffic. Claremont is the last Los Angeles City eastward and the traffic starts to thin A BIT....except FRIDAY...then it's best just to stay put. Glenn Helen as you see is at the 210/215/15 junction......good MB areas close enough.