SPOKANE Area Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by PNW Buttercup, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Does anybody here have any experience with a 81-83 Suzuki DR 500? I’m looking at one Monday on my way to Montana to see my grandkids. The bike looks decent and owner(17 years old but seems like a good kid) says the bike starts and runs great. I’m up on most bikes but have never seen one of these. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one that I dual sported (81), I had fun on it.
  3. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking it a pretty torquey bike?
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, old school thumper, a little smoother and quicker reving than a BSA.
  5. waterman28

waterman28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Mt Shasta is nice this time of the year.
    20210528_204252.jpg
  6. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    20210116_142549.jpg

Shasta, taken a couple months ago...
  7. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since tomorrow is Memorial Day, thought it appropriate to visit my cousin in Leavenworth, killed in Vietnam, Silver Star (I have shared his story before). Rest in peace. I remember my mom saying on hearing of Paul's death that she wished old men fault wars... two years later I joined the US Army too... but my orders took me to West Germany.... still did not calm my poor mother's fears.

upload_2021-5-30_22-52-54.png

The small village of Ralston, WA (on Highway 261, South of Ritzville) has a small park and I noticed a lot of flowers and flags so stopped to see what was going on.

upload_2021-5-30_23-2-22.png

There is this board explaining the name of the park, a local guy...

upload_2021-5-30_23-0-10.png

upload_2021-5-30_22-58-35.png

upload_2021-5-30_23-1-23.png

Please do not forget Memorial Day is more than a BBQ
    dammitdave, mtnbkn1, Bgunn and 6 others like this.
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Well said.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  9. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stopped there for a break some years back...Nice and peaceful...Good he's not forgotten..
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  10. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    This song comes to my mind every Memorial Day...

11. professorkx

professorkx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posted this on a different topic, but wanted to post here as well in case anyone is interested.

I'm not sure how many riders are interested in long distance dirt rides, but the weather in Northern Idaho is going to be very Adventure Bike friendly this weekend, so thought I would see if there was anyone interested in joining a ride from Athol, Idaho to Wallace, Idaho on Saturday. If we hit snow (unlikely given the heat this week) we will divert to other trails. I've ridden a 500 pound machine in the snow, and it can be a challenge and requires expert skill. I usually grab breakfast in Athol and then head into the mountains, eating lunch in Wallace. I've ridden my wife (and dog) on this trip at least 30 times, so this is a good ride for riders who are least an intermediate level rider in the dirt, as we need to keep a good pace. The ride is about 100 miles, so doable on all stock Adventure bike tanks.

Let me know if anyone is interested....
    WSobchak likes this.
  12. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    dang... so would rather being riding dirt than dealing with in-laws and ex-in laws at a party this weekend... or I would be IN... :2cry
  13. professorkx

Oddometer:
    Phoenix101, no problem, there will be more rides like this, and I will post them to see if anyone is interested. Hopefully, someone else wants to come and play on Saturday.

I realize that these long dirt rides will be for a smaller group who like this kind of thing, so would like to find out who would like to be part of these kinds of rides for better planning. I've ridden and raced Nationally with my two sons for decades, but with families and other responsibilities, it's more difficult for them to get away very often, so looking for other riding partners that are at least intermediate level, as we need to keep a pretty brisk pace to complete the rides during daylight hours. 20-30 mph is a normal pace, so nothing crazy, too many UTVs waiting around each corner.
  14. SilverAdvRdr

SilverAdvRdr Always learning, sometimes teaching Supporter

Oddometer:
    professorkx, I'd be IN, if I wasn't headed to Tacoma to help my brother-in-law with rebuilding his deck. Would much rather be on the bike this weekend! And that's a great ride, have done it many times.
  15. professorkx

Oddometer:
    Dang, I'm 0 for 2...looking more like a solo ride.

I'm also planning a ride out of Wallace to Avery via Slate Creek, then up Moon Pass Road to the river, then right out to the freeway. This would require some freeway riding, but the dirt portion will be worth it. That's pretty high country, so need a few more weeks to ensure no snow. banks. This could also be a ride to Clarkia and then to highway 95 via dirt by just crossing the Joe at Avery. I've ridden all of these rides and have GPS tracks so no meandering looking for the right path.
    WSobchak, Bgunn and SilverAdvRdr like this.
  16. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Took the dirt tractor to Canfield last Friday.

@professorkx, I'd be in if I hadn't already planned to run Section 4 of the WABDR this weekend! I still need to ride with you again after we first met in 2015. I was on my first overnight ride on the DR, and I was following you while you were hauling ass, wife, dog, and firearm on your Tiger 800 in the dirt. I decided I needed one of those machines after that, and now I have one!
    WSobchak and dc92974 like this.
  17. professorkx

Oddometer:
    Sachou,

Hey, man, nice to hear from you. Yes, riding the Lolo Motorway with you and the other two guys was a blast. Wife and I did that ride several more times before we sold the Triumph and switched to the KTM. On one ride, we almost ran out of fuel getting back to our camp at the summit, and rode 18 miles after the computer said ZERO MILES TO EMPTY!! I added a 1 gallon Rotopax before anymore "adventure" trips, but have never needed it.

Nice to hear you moved to a larger bike. You were only one in the group that could hand with us, and you rode that DR well. Hopefully you are finding the new bike just as easy to navigate dirt. I also have a Husky 350 for more serious dirt work, so might be able to get together on that as well. Nice video...except for the dirt nap for the little DR...

The WABDR is on my list for this year, but not until later this summer/early fall. I will be posting all of the rides I organize on Adventure Rider, as I think lots of folks are looking for other to ride with or just to learn a new area. Would be great to get hooked up again this year.

Safe ride this weekend...
    Sachou likes this.
  18. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be looking for those ride posts, I've been wanting to do the WABDR. So very interested in that one. I'm available most Fridays for day rides, been lurking here for quite a while.
    SilverAdvRdr likes this.
  19. mtnbkn1

mtnbkn1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ProfessorKX - Count me IN - meet you Saturday morning in Athol - pretty pumped to get the KTM in some dirt.
  20. professorkx

Oddometer:
    Mtnbkn1,

Sounds good. We will meet at 8:30am on Saturday at the country boy cafe in Athol, Idaho for breakfast. I will be on a KTM 1090 with Mosko Moto bags.