SPOKANE Area Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by PNW Buttercup, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Selkirk ADV

Selkirk ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Professorkx, my wife and I live near Athol, we both ride DR650's and would love to get out Saturday, but she has a commitment she's trying to get out of, hopefully. Is your route mostly on the BDR? My wife's bike has the stock gas tank so we need to know where fuel is available along the way. Thanks!
  2. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the sound of that kind of riding/trips.

If you give me a heads up a couple weeks before the ride I'll try to make it over, its about 4 hours from home but I need to get over to Spokane to have the performance map uploaded to the Husky 701 anyway...
  3. professorkx

professorkx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only place for fuel is Athol (start) and Wallace (end). The route is Bunco to Spruce Ridge and then drop out along the river close to Independence campground. My GPS route says its 92 miles between gas, but I would plan for 110 to 120 just to be safe. Not sure on the range on a stock DR tank...
  4. professorkx

Oddometer:
    I will try to give folks more notice. I'm waiting on a new 4 post lift for my shop that was supposed to be here this week for installation this weekend, but shipping was delayed. After looking at the weather for Saturday, I decided a ride was in order, as it's only going to get warmer...
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't make this Saturday but I'll be happy to join another time. I'm riding a KTM 500.
    WSobchak and professorkx like this.
  6. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Professorkx, Just saw this post. A little late for me for tomorrow, maybe some other time. I ride a 790 and like a quick pace, and have a 300 and 350 for trail riding if you do that. I try to stay north though, I’m in Sandpoint, so try to stay away from I90 corridor if I can. Also do a lot of midweek riding
    WSobchak likes this.
  7. Selkirk ADV

Selkirk ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    professorkx...I can't figure out how to send a PM. What time will you leave Country Boy? We have dietary restrictions and can't eat the food there, but we could meet you there when you're ready to leave.
  8. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Some of the local ADV riders here knew him. Wore out several motorcycles in his lifetime.

Celebration of Life for: Burt Gunn

Please join us on Saturday, June 12th at 1:00 p.m., for a celebration of life for Burt Gunn. The venue will be at the Gunn's Repair Boat Shop.

The Veterans organization is coming with a flag; and motorcycles are encouraged.
    Burt Gunn.png

Directions to Conkling Park Marine Repair
  9. 5105

5105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to tag along, but am tied up with a work thing this morning, will watch for future posts. Any chance you could post gps tracks after?
  10. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'll be there. I was one of those ADVers that knew your dad. He was a wonderful person and we lost a lot when we lost him. I feel privileged that I was able to ride with him (and the rest of the crew) in Baja.
    Motomedic, Bgunn and Live2Ride like this.
  11. mtnbkn1

mtnbkn1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got to ride with a few folks here - professorkx, Selkirk ADV and his wife, and Mark - sorry don't know your ADV handle. Met at the country boy café and had a great ride - finished at the snake pit. Fantastic conditions, got a little wet, but not bad. I'm gonna have call professorkx on his 20-30 mph pace warning.... the few times I dared looking at the speed I was usually in the 40s and even 50s. It was a great ride and group. Really happy to get to meet everyone and get my bike in the dirt.

I feel like I have to add that professorkx had 2 knee replacements in the last 5 months, and this was his first dirt ride since - didn't seem to slow him down at all...
    bunco1.jpg bunco2.jpg
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm glad you all got together for a ride. :clap
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ +1 !! Awesome!!
  14. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have guessed @professorkx would still be quick even after knee replacement.
    What's up man? Full time back in the area?
  15. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm in town, I will be there Saturday.

I didn't know Burt well, but he was certainly a man whose life deserves celebration.
  16. professorkx

Oddometer:
    The attached track is more than we did on Saturday, as we stopped just short of Wallace and diverted to the Snake Pit for lunch when it started raining. The last uphill/downhill to Wallace is paved, but it's very twisty and steep, so not much fun to ride in the rain, as it's too risky to run any kind of speed. I recorded the attached track in 2004, but it all should still be open for riding.

Attached Files:

overtone and chinook1 like this.
  17. professorkx

Oddometer:
    Racing at the National level for so many years finally took it's toll on my body and I had to get a new right hip and two new knees. This, combined with Covid stuff which delayed the knees, kept me off the bike for several years while I struggled with actually getting all the work done. The hip was pretty easy, and recovery went great, but my knees are still healing, so I feel like an old man walking to my bike and then struggling to get mounted. However, once mounted, riding seemed so natural since I have ridden for 30 years and only had new knees for 5 months. knees will continue to improve, at which time I want to enter a few races with the goal of just finishing...the glory days are in the rear view, but I still need adventures in my life. Fortunately, my wife of 42 years and the best pit boss is supportive, so I just have to get healed and back in riding shape.

I'll be posting a few more rides this summer when time allows, all on adventure bikes, as I can't ride the Husky on trails until 2022, but snow biking might be a possibility this winter.
    CB734 and WSobchak like this.
  18. chinook1

chinook1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That ride down Slate Creek is so much fun. I really think the BDR should take that instead of Moon Pass. I wish I'd have seen this, I'd have come with. Maybe next time! I'm going to swipe this GPX. I haven't been on that section between Clarkia and 95.

For other's loving the St Joe, I fell in love with NF395 (State Line Road). It's a bit more challenging than the IDBDR sections, and all high up on the ridgeline running east/west. Here's my route for a little 2 night loop last year that included State Line Rd, Missoula Lake and Delvaggio Knob area. Rained buckets so I hightailed it home from the St. Joe. Don't know why the GPX file is glitched, but you get the gist... IMG_20200711_111142848_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

overtone and SilverAdvRdr like this.
  19. professorkx

Oddometer:
    Joe is right, speeds were faster than I remember, but I haven't ridden in a few years, and the last several times Sandy was on the back of the bike with me, so my memory seems to be waning. :hmmmmm However, folks usually find the right pace for themselves, and the order gets shuffled as folks find their pace. At the beginning of the ride, I let everyone know that each person was responsible for the person behind them when we delayed to make sure everyone was OK. Essentially, I pulled up at intersections and waited for the rider behind me then blasted off. The second rider waited for the third and so on. We also stopped several times to regroup, as finding lost riders is zero fun.

It's amazing how I didn't seem to lose any skill after being off a bike for a while, and I frequently saw speeds in the mid 60's (yes, that's way to fast, but I just couldn't help myself :D), just had to slow down for the corners so I didn't get killed by a UTV. I had a blast, and thankful folks were able to join. It was great to meet new riders.
    SilverAdvRdr likes this.
  20. professorkx

Oddometer:
    The Avery/Clarkia/Tensen was created on a computer, which doesn't always work out for us, but this one was a lot of fun. You can see the one diversion from the main track where we had to turn around, but don't remember why. Hey, maybe this route could be our next ride, meet in Wallace and come out on highway 95. Haven't done that ride in years. I have almost 400 tracks, so it's easy to forget some.

I was up at Sullivan Lake yesterday and rode over to Priest lake then down the east side of the lake on a road I had never been on before. The road wasn't even on my GPS, but I will be recording that track as well and would make another good loop.
    chinook1 likes this.