SPOKANE Area Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by PNW Buttercup, Aug 13, 2010.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the past year and a half Washington hasn't been jailing anyone for any misdemeanor(s) no matter how many they accumulate. Due to weak laws and weaker enforcement WA is near the top of the list of uninsured drivers on the road by state (22%). WA is also in the top ten states for drivers driving with a suspended license, even before Covid. The media has come up with the term "unlicensed to kill" to describe these people.
    Once a drivers license is suspended there is nothing the courts are willing to do to a driver to penalize illegal and dangerous driving, the tweakers all know that so they just keep driving with impunity until they kill someone. They can be cited repeatedly for both traffic infractions and misdemeanor crimes, there fines are simply turned over to a collection agency when they don't pay them and when they're pulled over for a violation, even if they have outstanding warrants, they are cited and released. On top of that judges routinely reduce felony charges to misdemeanors so that the criminal can be released.
    So yes there are a lot of dangerous drivers on the road and it is getting worse.
    WSobchak and Phoenix101 like this.
  2. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    My stepson was on his 2020 Yamaha Venture at a stop near Salt Lake on Sunday. The jeep in front of him started out and then was smacked back into him. He sort of went through/ over the wind screen and landed mostly on his feet. Half helmet apparently worked good on the jeep back. Below the lip sliced by windscreen. Had to tell the doc that the cleaning fluid was going in his mouth. Stitches on both sides. 30 hours before he really started to feel it.
    Picture is of a pin he was wearing that the bike is now wearing.
    He said he was happy the bike was heavy, the jeep bounced back and left him a place to land 20210824_154104.jpg
  3. jusbeach

jusbeach Ramble on Rose

Oddometer:
    The 30 yo gal that hit us is an exact example of what you said above. 30 years old and already has 20 court appearances. Mostly for no registration, no insurance, suspended license and speeding. Most recent charge was a year ago for careless/inattentive driving. This is all in Idaho mind you. It’s not just a WA problem. Still hasn’t paid the fine for the careless charge, but still has her license. She’s made it through the last 13 years with plea agreements. Not this time. Up against a reckless driving charge in Idaho county and they’re not backing down.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  4. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    She'll probably move to WA and start over, she could walk right out of court for reckless driving here since it's a misdemeanor.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    or just not stop as the cops usually can't give chase...
  6. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    No reason to run, they know nothing will happen to them.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  7. jusbeach

jusbeach Ramble on Rose

Oddometer:
    She’s looking at a year in jail on this one. We’re pushing hard to see that she gets it.
    Has cost over $600,000 in medical/property/lost wages and rising.
    WSobchak, StayFrosty and Phoenix101 like this.
  8. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I hope she gets it, it carries the same penalty in WA, but it wouldn't be enforced.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  9. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you should mention that she assaulted you with incorrect pronouns post collision. That should get 25 years to life...
    Bgunn likes this.
  10. Notyourpop

Notyourpop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Patrol officers are no longer supported by the court system.
    I thought Washington could impound vehicles if you were unlicensed, invalid registration, no insurance, but cannot verify that.
    I if you're caught riding a motorcycle without proper endorsement they can impound the motorcycle.
    I believe the courts have determined that it's useless to prosecute someone that has nothing to lose.
    If you have assets, you're probably more likely to get prosecuted due to revenue that is generated.
    I'm driving as little as possible and have just about given up on motorcycling due to the stress imposed by the minority of drivers, at least in Spokane.
  11. lamotovita

Oddometer:

I think they can, but I assure you they don't. I'm following the guy that hit me through the court system, in the past year he has been cited for the three things you mention plus several other charges THREE TIMES! and he's still driving the same POS vehicle. I suspect that officers are directed not to impound vehicles that they know won't be reclaimed.
  12. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    there were changes in the laws and in addition court rulings... keep this in mind the next time you vote for someone.
    WSobchak and Dons1911 like this.
  13. Notyourpop

Notyourpop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think tow companies also do not want to tow and store vehicles with little to no value.
    Can't blame them. It's a pain to get rid of abandoned vehicles if left on your property....better off pushing it down the road and leaving it.
  14. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Well, looks like I’m getting another bike Monday. Not a vintage two stroke but it does fall in the vintage category. It’s a 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD. I have always wanted a KZ 900-1000. It will be delivered to the shop Monday morning. Should look good next to the Z1000. Oh, I’m selling my VStrom 650 . AA483D9A-F2E8-4379-BB71-0EFE9FF6ECD3.png
  15. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had something similar but with the shaft drive... fun to ride in a straight line but a pig in the twisties...
    Live2Ride likes this.
  16. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    I don't plan on putting a lot of miles on this bike. it only has 15000 on it right now. I think it will be a good bike to ride to work occasionally.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  17. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope he is healing up OK!
  18. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
  19. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of these things is not like the others….

expanding the collection or a visitor?
    overtone likes this.
  20. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    A visitor. I believe it’s a 1945 Indian.