SPOKANE to RALEIGH - Need Advice on Backroads

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CaptSpankyBum, Jun 3, 2021.

1. CaptSpankyBum

CaptSpankyBum n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings All,

Rode my bike from Anchorage to Spokane last year through the pandemic. Amazing ride and great stories getting through the border. Left bike in storage and now I'm trying to ride it from Spokane to Baltimore then home to Raleigh NC. I have set 8 days to do this starting July 1st 2021. Looking for recommendations on backroads and places to see / stay. Mostly camping but getting a hotel here and there to scrub the dirt off.

Thought was to explore northern area and see as much as I can through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Then less time through remainder as I've driven eastern side of US before.

Any insights and thoughts are welcomed. Thanks
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    St Joe river area of Idaho.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  3. CaptSpankyBum

CaptSpankyBum n00b

Oddometer:
    So St. Maries to St. Regis or head further into St. Joe? How is 97 around Harrison Slough?
  4. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hwy 97 is a bitchin moto road for sure, I love riding there, but it requires caution due to bad pavement edges, lotsa driveways, etc. The St Joe road is cool too, but from the top of the gold creek summit to st regis is dirt, washboardy, loose gravel. doable if you are slow and patient. There will be trucks nd 4x4's yeehawing up and down.

A whole 'nother concept could be Hells canyon.... Lewiston, Enterprise, Joseph, FS RD39 to OR86, Oxbow on the Snake, up to Cambridge ID.. you could then ride along the Salmon River to White Bird, loop up to Grangeville, down hwy 13 to Kooskia, and ride river road hwy12 over the Lolo into MT Bitterroot valley..

Lotsa possibilities ! Cheers!
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I took St Joe rd from St Maries to St Regis. It did turn to gravel in MT. 97 was fantastic! Some great views over the water. I remember the car traffic wasn’t too bad
    Burger Express in St Maries was tasty too.

Work your way toward Yelowstone and the Tetons. 191 S theres a nice campground called Kozy Campground north of Bondurant.
    I’d aim for Duluth MN at that point and go thru the UP MI and across the Mackinaw bridge. Down thru MI to SW OH / W Va and work thru the App’s to Boone.
  6. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take the ferry over the Mississippi at Hickman, KY. Hwy 160 is a good route across southern MO to get there.