Spontaneously southbound, or 'Wanna ride Baja?"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flying.moto, May 2, 2019.

1. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Strange, how most of my best rides happen totally by chance!

If you had a chance to stumble on this thread... you might remember the winds that were howling up at the top of the Chloride Cliffs causing sleepy bikes...

[​IMG]

...but the best part was I met up with @Burro driver and the rest is, as they say, is history!

I was itching to ride south... even planned to quit my job for a while... but once my boss found out of my plans, he gave me another offer i could... well.. should have not refused... so i demaned more days off! :lol3

And so, in spite of few commitments and two really dutiful dues I said F the festivities, it's my f'in birthday, and I am gone RIDING!:ricky
  2. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Going South, I said... yeah! But, no solid plan, somewhat detrimental tendency laced March fueled loss of solid thinking, resulting in completely deranged packing... i hopped on my trusty steed with little more than just an oil change, and off we go southbound!

[​IMG]

Hmm... yeah, im cheating again, there is a paved road... but... it gets me south on time... but once you are on that paved road... and you see a dirt offshoot... you magically end up on it :rofl

[​IMG]

Or i can say... i could not wait to hit some dirt? :jack but then suddenly...

[​IMG]

it bloomed!:eek2oh i almost got lost in this area looking around for more sights...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time was ticking, and southbound adventure was calling! time was to twist the wrist a little! :pynd but suddenly venomous serpents halt my advnace!

[​IMG]

We shall see you later, snakey! :super

But...

Wait...

A minute...

Was that a dirt road i just saw on the right with some peculiar sign?! so totally random of me :rofl

[​IMG]

Uh oh... where the hell does this go... no springs or things the sign mentioned... the gps says it connects, right?! :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

At least its pretty! and deserty! and awesome! Sand riding practice! Someone told me Baja was nothing but a giant sand pit.... :super

Wait what.... it connected to a loop after some meandering and backtracking... = WIN! :bmwrider

[​IMG]

Next installment takes us south... south-bound! :beer
  3. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    The night before many brews have been had... stories told... but... why are we here!?

Oh, real Coca-Cola! Must stop! :lol3

[​IMG]

Them two look good at the quick provision stop! :bmwrider:bubba

[​IMG]

Who said Baja was just a sand box!? Lies! Nothing but lies! :happay

[​IMG]

Told you!

[​IMG]

Some pavement here and there... but... Oh Shi....

:lol3

[​IMG]

"Hey, fu@#er, you gonna get me stung!" I heard motioning @Burro driver for this shot... there were some friendly bees nesting in that wall.... :roflbut but but it said Mexico... i just had to stop! :lol2

[​IMG]

Then suddenly, pin it to win it! :pynd right?

[​IMG]

oh the bliss... i can feel it coming on.... :beer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then suddenly! LEGENDARY! :eek2 at least for me... love life, second at a time! :-)

[​IMG]

Bullsh#t session into the night... the second i thought in Russian, converted to English, formulated in Spanish, but verbalized in.... Japanese?! i knew i seriously need to learn more Spanish..... :photog

[​IMG]

Stay tuned, it gets much much much better! :ricky:ricky
  4. larryboy

larryboy Super.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    flying.moto likes this.
  5. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    What, no snake pic ?
    flying.moto likes this.
  6. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Dude! Thank you for reminding me to actually download the big camera xD card! :clap

Let's see many more awesome photos!! :ricky:ricky

Next update tonight!
    Burro driver likes this.
  7. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    :lurk :dirtdog
    flying.moto likes this.
  8. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Good morning, Desert! :rayof

[​IMG]

eeeee.....donde esta gasolinera?! :scratch

[​IMG]

Ive heard from a few rather famous Xchallenge riders here on ADV forums that my bike can use any quality gas at all.... and i had no doubt that the mighty DR simply wont notice :photog

Neither one skipped a beat and got us to see some really strange.... trees? :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

A Cirio (candle) plant was the most interesting to me... After significant rainfall, the Cirio sprouts green leaves all over. White tubular flowers sprout at the top in July-August as well as after rains. The tallest Cirio ever studied was about 18 meters tall and thought to be 360 years old. The Cirios are almost endemic to Baja California, with just a small number of them found in Sonora, Mexico as well. Cool!

The trail called, and it was bliss and very easy riding!

[​IMG]

Traffic was non-existent, and although some ranchers might sometimes use these tracks, the feeling of remoteness only grew stronger as we continued southbound. :super

[​IMG]

Then suddenly, alike those sailors stuck at sea then suddenly screaming, "laaaaaaaand" i was going "waaaaaateeer" but i was wearing my helmet so nobody saw or heard my silly yell :rofl

[​IMG]

Then. Out of nowhere. At the speeds approaching 65 mph... a challenger appears! After a screeching stop, rock-throwing turnaround, I come up on a little tree straight out of The Little Prince, by Exupery.

[​IMG]

As much as it reminded me of one, this is not a little baobab.. but an Elephant Tree, or... Torote Blanco. I gotta learn more Spanish indeed! :y0!

The rest of the day ended up in a blissful enjoyment of the ride... little more stops other than for some chow, and... refreshments! :beer

[​IMG]

This place had great food, awesome little rooms, but still was a little touristy and easily accessible. We ended up being surrounded by a bunch of lively riders from the States, who then promptly left to somewhere. we ordered a few more refreshments and decided to stay... but... the town did give us a funny feeling or two... so.

[​IMG]

Parking Secured! What's next? Stay tuned! :smile6
    dave6253, waylongway, Saso and 2 others like this.
  9. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Day 4 brought us more south toward the much hyped up promise of the little fishing village, camping and bliss seclusion!

[​IMG]

Riding was fast-paced but the views made me stop over and over. The promised beaches were coming into view more and more often! Now, all we need to do is get to one of them! :rofl

[​IMG]

Wild enough, in contrast to the "other side" of our journey... and most of other places I've ridden so far at, it seems like every time we stopped for an extended period of time in Baja remotes like this one...

[​IMG]

...virtually every and each passing vehicle stopped to see if we needed help! It was an incredible feeling and an opportunity to practice the little Spanish I know... or rather watch Burro Driver practice his and hope some of it would rub off on me :imaposer

On with the track... hey! it peels off away from the beach again! :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

...over the hills and far away...

:photog

[​IMG]

...through the deserts, not led astray...

[​IMG]

...near the cacti not fallen prey...

[​IMG]

...these riders will find the beach aga.... nope! :scratch

Just more funky tree-bush-things!

[​IMG]

:lol2

But hey, some of them were blooming, and looked awesome doing it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just like I like doing it... we took some short cuts, ended up on some long cuts, then made a high-speed dash in a random direction and ended up on an awesome super-high-speed sandy track that... well... is not too easy to ride slow on, especially with the steering damper set on full :p3rry

[​IMG]

And after taking care of "the odds" in the soft sandy section, lets get to it all! :ricky:ricky:super

But that is all in the next day... the pavement section would land us in Guerrero Negro for the night. Nice little town with excellent food and services! We spent a little time doing laundry and other organizational/maintenance tasks in the next morning and then set off for the lesser known places. Yeeeee-ha to Day 5 and awesome little towns on remote dirt roads! :pynd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you do visit the town of San Ignacio, do stop by riiiiiight here. Good lunch spot. WiFi, and a nice shady park to kick back for a second.

[​IMG]

Did I mention excellent fish tacos? Maybe... but the road was calling!

[​IMG]

Wait...where did the road go again!? :hmmmmm

That's right, there it is! @Burro driver to the rescue....although before that.... rather preventative-rescue... saying: "if you get stuck out there, I ain't coming there to get you out" :lol3

[​IMG]

Somewhat, the gps did show some blue and the planned track getting close to it.... but all we found is our first deep sand on the ride! :eek2

[​IMG]

Yahoooo! A fishing village! :happay

[​IMG]

Wrong village... hmm...

A road sign in the middle of nowhere? Speed limit at that?! Cool! Maybe we are getting close :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close indeed! TACOS! Abierto! Taqueria Cristy! TACOS Y CERVEZAS! :dukegirl:beer

[​IMG]

We actually found this incredible little hotel right across from here first... where here? San Juancio! Which hotel? Casitas de San Juanico

Go stay there. It is seasonally ran by a lovely couple, and it is their home away from home, and not just another hotel on a dusty road. It's a gem! Did I mention tacos across the way? :super

More tomorrow, but now, buenas noches, you cool cats! :jkam:bubba

[​IMG]
  10. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Hola, kid, but, no photos, ok, or ill kick your sorry biker ass! :jack

[​IMG]

I was told that she does actually run the show there... cats are awesome and i don't care what anyone says! :clap

Here is the place!

[​IMG]

Wonderful stay. Awesome hosts, and like i said, tacos y cervezas riiiiiight across! very good too! :drink

But... as any stay, especially on a vacation-time-limit-driven adventure as such... road was calling...

but... wait... out of gasolina?!

[​IMG]

Gassed and happy! :thumb

[​IMG]

But then, sights! I just cant stop stopping! :happay

[​IMG]

Sometimes i catch up though... maybe when John thought I got lost and was waiting for me... for a second.... maybe.... :lol3

[​IMG]

Or maybe he was waiting for the photographer to set up :imaposer

[​IMG]

yeah....

[​IMG]

totally!

[​IMG]

...guaranteed!

[​IMG]

The riding was like none other... bliss bliss with bliss on top! :ricky:ricky i don't even have any wiseass thing to say about it, it was that good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just kept getting better and better but, little did i know... more better was yet to come! :smile6

[​IMG]

Endless desolate bliss with random shade here and there. sometimes... :lol2

[​IMG]

Then suddenly! TACOS! you knew it was just a taco and beer run, right?

[​IMG]

Shortly after lunch, the promise-land appeared!

[​IMG]

Wait say what?! That aint no Spanish!

[​IMG]

But, first beech landing of the trip nonetheless :jkam

[​IMG]

Stay tuned, much more amazing stuff to come! :beer
  11. onlinervsales

onlinervsales n00b

Oddometer:
    That beach landing trip looks AWESOME!!
    flying.moto likes this.
  12. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Thank you! This was not even the best beach of the trip but it sure was the first! Much more good stuff ahead, stay tuned! I finally have time to update my thread being holed up in a hotel for work and.... the internet they have here makes dialup look good! :scratch

Without further wait.. wait a minute... :drink now im ready! :super

[​IMG]

Good morning, paradise!

[​IMG]

Such coves are plentiful here, and some are more secluded than others, some have latrines, others don't, and the one we stayed at had a small restaurant/bar nearby. I chalk it up good for the first random stop!

[​IMG]

The track was calling and sights were getting much much better! :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

These yellows were so vivid the photo makes no justice! Go see it for yourself! :smile6

[​IMG]

You will not be disappointed... and then tell all the naysayers..... to stay at home! :imaposer

Then... suddenly, when the terrain seemed to be readying this panoramic view...

[​IMG]

A challenger appears!

[​IMG]

The guy's been on the road for a while, from Chile, but he is making his slow way back to Canada. :super This meeting calls for celebration. There must be a taco stand here somewhere.... maybe this way?

[​IMG]

Found it! And(!) for 10 pesos/hour decent internet! No Pacifico though... strangely, in many places it was easier to find Coors Light than Pacifico :scratch wait what?!

[​IMG]

Short stop, directions shared directions chosen, and we are off to find more fancy desert colors!

[​IMG]

...now imagine 50 miles of desert and not a single person in sight...

[​IMG]

...then suddenly a settlement with a small Mission, full on town square, few ranches and WiFi!

[​IMG]

Modern road signs?

[​IMG]

On the way out of the little town, it seemed there was a private palm tree plantation... or maybe those were fruit/something bearing palm trees?

[​IMG]

And then 50 miles more of real desert! :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

But... no passing :lol3

[​IMG]

Where did this track lead us? To the best beach site of the ride! :super

[​IMG]

More photos very soon! :jkam
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! :clap
    flying.moto likes this.
  14. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Well planned to go to Baja when you did, pretty wet weeks earlier. Ok so you didn't plan it that way, even better!
    I was in El Centro for Dec. , and rode all over the Yuha desert, I like to ride on any trail that Anza went along in 1775.
    Thanks for the report, just great.
    P1010022.JPG Here is a bad picture for an example of average photo. I did this to let all your viewer's and ME , how lucky we are to have your pictures!!
    flying.moto likes this.
  15. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Thank you!! :beer it only gets better! if it can, right?

whoa! firstly, Awesome bike!! :ricky :D secondly, this was sort of a recovery ride for me, i had a rough march, and really could care less to even check on weather reports or forecasts, or even pack properly. The night before departure i double-confirmed that i had time off from work, stuffed the bags with whatever laundry was semi-clean and rode off into the sunrise :rofl boy, this ride re-taught me a lot about life! Many thanks to @Burro driver for getting me off my ass and into the saddle when he did, especially in the way he did :bow
    eaglescan likes this.
  16. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Day...8! It's officially an Epic RR! :bubba

Lets ride! But wait...first... breakfast... we rode up to this wonderful little restaurant, that got new printed menus since last year, and is another Baja gem! But it was closed!

[​IMG]

All we had to do is sit down. Then a lady showed up out of nowhere, opened up and cooked a meal just for us...then after we were done she closed the door and left :rofl later waved at us as we double-backed through the town after getting almost stuck in a deep gravel wash where we thought a "shortcut" was! :imaposer

So what do we do? We try another river-wash of course! :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

...but this one leads us to an amazing dirt serpentine road all the way up the steep mountains! Cool!

[​IMG]

Way up on top, the road continues and levels onto a plateau, miles and miles of desert and you guessed it, a small settlement!

[​IMG]

and then miles and miles of desert again. :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

The track followed a semi-dry river, that still had some fun water crossings and pools that surprisingly had fish in them! Cool!

[​IMG]

And then track climbed and no more water to be seen... for a while!

[​IMG]

Steeper and steeper, rockier and deeper! Braaaaaap! :ricky or... :p3rry maybe :photog

[​IMG]

Dinner!? :augie

[​IMG]

Suddenly, campsite almost in sight!

[​IMG]

What can be netter on a windy open nub of a spot, than plentiful firewood, some meat and adjustafork! :super maybe couple of dancer girls and cervezas? maybe... but i think this is bliss!

[​IMG]

Stay tuned! :dukegirl
  17. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Next morning, the coals were still going and the stone, that is the closest to the point of view in the previous photo finally stopped fragging :lol3

[​IMG]

We packed it all up and then saw this little village in the distance, said, hell, its less than 2 miles off track, so close and not to go see it would be way wrong... lets roll! :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

What we found is an amazing little restaurant, called Lupe Sierra's & Maggi Mae! Open for land travelers and sea goers as well! Two groups having a bite to eat next to us got there by sea under sail, and stayed for a while mezmerized by the small secluded lagoon! So amazing!

[​IMG]

Fueled up ourselves, we set on full steam ahead! Then, after seeing a lighthouse in the distance, taking the turn and getting stuck in the sand for a moment....

[​IMG]

We ran into a self proclaimed "Tom Jones from Mendocino California" who told us all about surfing, weed, beach camping, his family situation, marriage, big adv bikes, his traveling partner pitbull, and much more... even gave us a T-shirt each. You never know what the next turn might bring :rofl

Take the turn! :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

...and open that throttle wide because there is a whole 'nother world out there to explore! :ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

On this road, we would run into a few bikers.... bicyclists to be more exact... pedaling from San Diego to Cabo, mostly by dirt! How cool! :bow

Now fast paced and graded road, the closer we got to La Paz the wider it became. We just enjoyed the ride and the wind, until this old tugboat caught my attention~

[​IMG]

Had we had a little more time, we might have waded over there and saw her closer... but now i bet shes all but a coop for seagulls.

La Paz welcomed us with decent food, cold craft brews and the same couple we ran into on the beach of Agua Verde! Party's on, dudes!

[​IMG]

The little pub we randomly selected ended up being quite an ale house, and just in case of too many patrons, the overflow goes to the neighboring roof, atop a surf shop, i think... but the beer travels over on this contraption! :beer

[​IMG]

Fairly sauced, we stumbled back to our hotel for the night, as tomorrow is the day we sort out the ferry stuff...

[​IMG]

Most of the day was spent on laundry, other organizational deeds, figuring out the paperwork and all the fees, papers and other stuff for the sailing voyage, mix in a bit of wait, a few stops for tacos and... yeah, i felt the day was excessively lazy, so we rode to the end of the road past the ports, where the map said may be some sights. Found some overcrowded local beaches, few rather eager locals who wanted to test-ride our bikes... so we turned around and found a quiet local dockworker hangout instead.

[​IMG]

Well that's a welcoming sign!

[​IMG]

I guess some diver riff-raff favors this spot too! Earlier i inquired about going out for a dive run, but many told me all was booked and no room for me was available... from the patio of this little joint i saw questionably many obviously dive boats just moored and motionless for hours...

Then suddenly... the wait was over!

[​IMG]

The best part was watching the Frigate-birds, researching them a bit, and... observing a semi with a low-boy trailer getting stuck twice on the loading ramp, tire smoke and all, before taking a run at it and with enormous sound effects making it in! :pynd Send it!

[​IMG]

Next up, MAZATLAN! :rayof
    dave6253, roadcapDen and Burro driver like this.
  18. NAK1990

NAK1990 n00b

Oddometer:
    NICE BIKE AND PHOTOS , I LOVE IT !
    flying.moto likes this.
  19. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    So much fun reading your RR and reliving our trip!
    flying.moto likes this.
  20. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :smile6

One of these days I will be able to keep on riding at my pace... then get as far as your side of the world! I heard there is a lot of good riding there :super

Thanks, man! The only thing i wish reliving it as well, is to have extra three weeks! It was a bit too fast paced but at least we did it! It was just a recon, right? :beer The other thing i wish for... is this hotel I'm holed up in for the next few days to have better internet service... seriously, this place makes dial-up look good! :fpalm so... no videos until i get back to my place... it takes whole day to (maybe) upload 12 photos... :eek2