Sport Tourers; Where Art Thou?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Rider, Jun 29, 2012.

1. West Isles

West Isles Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the way home yesterday at Greens Point Light. Killing time waiting for the ferry.... 204018668_837163553566762_960162560288184355_n (1).jpg

Damp day, so spent the trip in the passengers salon.
    209046224_396212678430911_188062910559061761_n.jpg

Home. 202938366_936051343624816_2428154293863693499_n.jpg
    Enfo, Ctscrambler, Versysguy and 8 others like this.
  2. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I attended the annual Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc. Rally in Canaan Valley, WV, little over a week ago. I made this video during one of our group rides. The West Virginia roads can be technically fun and they provide for impressive views of the countryside. Fortunately, many of the riders were from WV and knew the roads well.

This is my second video made using my new Insta360 One X2 camera - lots of fun!
  3. Horsehead

Horsehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a great morning. Headed from my house south of Greensboro, NC up to the Parkway in Stuart Virginia, and back. All in all about 220 miles. Surprisingly little traffic, maybe because of the threatening rain. 20210627_114147.jpg
  4. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    ST Fall.jpg

Attached Files:

Enfo, RsZk, rico2072 and 5 others like this.
  5. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    The ride through Stuart and up to the Parkway has always been a favorite of mine. My ST loved it too.
  6. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    This year began with me making a revelation: I wanted to sell a couple bikes (both BMWs) and ride some new stuff- cross bikes off The List, being the end-goal. First I sold my sweet 2002 K1200RS- I just put a pile of money into it and had custom built suspension by Penske Racing Suspension added, all dialed in for my weight & riding style!

I know, right?

OK so the money from that went into a 1966 BSA A65T Thunderbolt- so it wasn't ALL bad.
    But that's not what this is about... it's about THIS:

IMG_8504.jpeg

Now, the OTHER bike I sold... and you can believe I agonized over this decision for quite some time- was my R100RS. It was a Canadian Import model and there's a long-use story along with it but suffice it to say I bought a bike which I had first looked at for sale by the Canadian owner back in 2006 or so. By sheer chance, random luck... many years later, I got the bike who got the bike from the Canadian! I bought it to replace my 1993 R100RS which I totaled in a crash. To say there was an emotional attachment wouldn't be too far a stretch.

So I've always had at least one modern bike along with my older 60s or 70s Brits. I had a lovely run with BMWs in fact owning an 88 K100RS, an 88 R100RT, a 93 R100RS, and a 2002 K1200RS. Not like I'm over BMWs at all but after all that I figured I could afford some "away time" from the brand! :lol3 Meanwhile back at the ranch, I'd sold the modern bike and bought an antique. Now I needed something modern. Two bikes on my List were the 2011 Sprint GT & the Ducati St series bikes, an ST3 or 4, preferably in "s" trim. After not a little deliberation on the matter, I decided I'd try Ducati maybe later, maybe not at all and set my sights firmly on the Sprint GT, which amazingly wasn't offered in the U.S. for long- 2011 & maybe 2012? So they're a bit thin on the ground. I'm pleased to have this let me tells ya.

SO after 2 or more thousand miles, I feel like I"m getting to know the bike a bit. First, big impression was the lack of protection from the fairing & windscreen. I'm comparing it of course to some of the best (or at least most protective) fairings ever tho- so taken with however many grains of salt. I knew the GT was more on the "sport" end of Sport Touring, so OK.

Dimensioanlly, the K1200RS

P1110311.jpeg

and the Sprint GT are almost exactly the same- length wheelbase, the same. Seat height slightly taller (less than an inch). The "wet" or Curb Weight tho, of the GT is at least 30 pounds less than the K12 which admittedly is a pig of a bike. The GT claims a wet weight of 590 pounds VS the K1200 at like 629 pounds. Add the chain drive, subtract all the bells & whistles, such as cruise control and gear indicator, and wind/weather protection. The GT makes less HP on paper, I forget the variances in torque, but the GT is a beast that wants to run fast. It is far faster in terms of acceleration, and handles quicker too, than K1200. I'm having fun, already got a speeding ticket on he bike, so I'm "learning" it. :D I've had it going reasonably fast a couple times- on the freeway, 90, 100 and a little more- and the bike is like its on rails. It's got Metzler tires more designed for Sport too and they are freaking great, the bike really handles pretty lightly considering its bulk. Running around my local back roads out here in Pennsyltuckey and the bike is fantastic! Oh BTW I got with less than 9000 miles on the clock- by my way of thinking about it a solid score! I feel pretty sure that there are few enough of these ar round that I won't be pulling up next to herds of them at rallies or events tho. I feel like I'll be seeing few if any in fact- another plus.

In conclusion, I can say that if anyone thinks they want one of these, it's worth it, go for it- the Triumph Sprint GT is a great bike. It's 1050 triple is really fantastic, I can't say I recall ever a bad word said about this iteration of Triumph's Triple. And I love it.

Couple things I have yet to do are ride long distance over a period of
    days, and I haven't had the GF on the bike yet. I gotta say that the words I read in more than one place, RE: the Sprint GT was "these bikes are designed for 2-up, long distance comfort"... could have been of some influence in my choice of this bike! That said, She & I will get out sometime soon, and sometime during 2021 I at least will take off for a few days to let the dogs run.

But wait- every bike or damn near every bike has its "downside"... yes?
    About all I got here is the seat could be improved- my main beef is it slopes
    forward more heavily than I like. The seat cover is some sort of weird grippy textured rubber and the pillion position is like 5 inches higher than the driver. The stock muffler is massive and ugly... but OTOH I have other bikes that are loud. I'd actually love cruise control, I used it all the time on teh K1200- and it's not life or death but having an indicator to let you know what gear you're in is helpful if nor overly indulgent! In the end, for me the biggie is the lack of protection from the fairing & windscreen. And the kicker is that there aren't a lot of options in the aftermarket. I'll get a better opinion of it during a distance jaunt, thru rain and variably mixed weather. BUT none of this is deal-killer material. The bottom line is it's simply more sporty than all the other sport tourers I've owned. I recall back in 2011 when the it was launched, people were saying the Triumph Sprint GT was the bike that got everything right. 10 years on, I can ALMOST agree with that statement.

Ricochetrider
    Enfo, rico2072 and Chickenstrip like this.
  7. offthewallds

offthewallds Confused Travolta personified

Oddometer:
    This is from early June, but we had a solid 480mi weekend with varying conditions. This sunny Saturday along US12 and down OR 47 made up for the fog and pouring rain the rest of the weekend.

Pic is at a Riffe Lake scenic overlook on US12.

IMG_20210614_142110_492.jpg
    EdM likes this.
  8. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride the GT's 2002 predecessor, a Sprint RS, and I agree about the engine. It's become cliche, I know, but the triple sort of has a seductive power. It currently has 45K miles on it and is still in good shape (though currently dealing with a bout of reluctant starting - I'm thinking it's the injectors or fuel filter). I have often looked at the K1200 and heard about its weight, turning me off. I didn't know it came with CC - nice feature. I also often look at Ducati STs, but the Desmo valves are more of a turnoff than a turn-on. I still look at VFRs, but the engine seems unnecessarily complex. Though old by today's standards, I still get a kick out seeing my bike (it's the screensaver) - it still triggers the desire to go for a ride. I've often looked at the Sprint GT, thinking it would be a wise next step (in fact there's one in the Flea), but I'm think I'm good for now. Enjoy that beautiful GT. It's a highly underrated bike.
    ricochetrider likes this.
  9. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my recent ride through Tennessee and North Carolina. These two views are near each other on Rt. 88., in Tennessee I think (state borders are quite close here).

southernExcursion-Rt88-_dsc7800-2000px.jpg

_DSC7807.jpg
    Enfo, budsboy, GeoAggie and 4 others like this.
  10. SVrida

SVrida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Overlooking Rt 250 just outside of Monterey, Va. DSC_1202.JPG
    Enfo, budsboy, Bad Dad and 10 others like this.
  11. OttoHagg

OttoHagg Lost

Oddometer:
    A ramble in WV never gets old, with the obligatory snap at Seneca Rocks.

[​IMG]
    workerB, Enfo, Turismo9999 and 11 others like this.
  12. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgive me for posting so much ... I made a lot of images (still and video) during my ride south, and my 360 camera has me excited to edit the video ... gotta share it with someone! Anyway, here's another video - this one's from Rt 421 in Tennessee, part of The Snake.

13. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    The K1200RS is actually fantastic. Yes its heavy yet it remains surprisingly nimble. It's been described by some as "soulless"- yet I found it's allure more "subtle" than overpowering or in-your-face. I owned mine for almost 10 years and never once fell out of love with it. One thing about it is that you sit more like "up on it", rather than "down in it". I often marveled at the sensation fo looking down on the world from my perch in the K1200's saddle.

Meanwhile, no regrets with the GT. I admit I wasn't prepared for the lack of protection from the fairing, but hey that's not the end of the world, just something different than I've been used to. I mean as a rider I rely on GoreTex clothing & my gear to keep me dry etc- not the bike itself. The bike's redeemable qualities far outshine its few niggles.
    Chickenstrip likes this.
  14. linkweewee

linkweewee tantum quantum

Oddometer:
    My brother owned that exact bike in blue. We called it The Blue Missile :D. Took it for a 200 mile spin up the North Shore of Lake Superior one beautiful fall day awhile back when I was in Duluth visiting. Easily hit 130mph on it and it kind of yawned. Almost bought a minty red one last year with low miles but ended up with my Honda Super Blackbird instead. They’re still fabulous motorcycles.
    ricochetrider likes this.
  15. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the Wing into NC today to ride some familiar roads I've not been on since '17.

The Dragon was still wet from a shower that straffed a little earlier.

Made a stop here for a couple of stickers and kept going.

That wall reminds me of how one of our Chinook helicopters looked after a mortar landed a few feet away in '03.

IMG_20210714_135840570.jpg
    Enfo, rico2072, RsZk and 3 others like this.
  16. ZOMGdonuts

ZOMGdonuts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick question for my sport touring brethren.

Do you guys find sport touring bikes with a proper fairing to be less noisy than ADV bikes?

I ride a naked, which I love. But I've often thought about a ST for my next bike. I tried a NC750X and the wind noise was insanely deafening. I have no idea how anyone can stand such a thing. I get that it's very personal, but I genuinely don't believe that people with ADV bikes are riding around with stock screens and no wind noise...I feel like they must already be deaf or something lol. On the NC, a huge aftermarket screen was way better, but it was still crazy loud compared to a naked.

Broadly speaking, in your experiences, do the added fairings, body position, windshield position, etc. of sport touring bikes reduce or increase wind noise relative to ADV and naked bikes? I know it takes a lot of tweaking to make it work right, do you think the structure of a ST makes it easier or harder? e.g. R1250RS vs GS.
  17. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a V-Strom 1K that for me created a annoying buffeting, one that vibrated my helmet rapidly, making my nose itch! :lol2 I cut the screen down to alter the wind's path. On my current bike, a Triumph Sprint RS (2002) I have a Laminar Lip on it. Depending on what's happening with the wind (direction and force) it can still be noisy, but it's better than stock. I had a Honda Super Hawk before the Strom - with the stock screen it was pretty good. I think screens (aside from full-on touring screens - I've heard/read that the BMW RTs have very good coverage, e.g.) make for a dilemma: reduced wind blast on the torso vs buffeting & noise.
    ZOMGdonuts likes this.
  18. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My old 1150RT was amazing. It had a small Vstream shield on it.

Riding down the road; as you raised the electric windshield, it felt like “closing the windows” and riding in a pocket of silence. Even at triple digit speeds.

My Ducati ST4 was pretty good as well. Body position and a double bubble contributed, I’m sure.

When I first got my GS it felt really loud and turbulent. I tinkered with a few things but I think I just got used to it more than solved it.

Now it seems quiet compared to my XR!
    ZOMGdonuts likes this.
  19. dhawker

dhawker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RicochetRider......

Couldn't have said it better myself. Had a 2005 Triumph Sprint ST and now have a 2011 Triumph Sprint GT. Just a tip: To make the bike handle as well as the ST (shorter wheelbase), try the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 or 4 (haven't tried yet) tires. Was using Michelin Pilot Road 2, 3 & 4's but found a slight hesitance when turning in, which required slight counter steering as well as weird front tire triangulation. Switched for the Dunlop Roadsmarts and haven't looked back. I can turn in now just by tilting my head in the direction I want to go (like the ST) with absolutely no countersteering needed. Great feel, mileage and a lot cheaper than Michelin's, the ultimate trifecta. Happy riding.
  20. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My r1200rt is silent compared to the 1190r or any of my previous adv bikes. (although with cruise control, full rottweiler intake, wings exhaust, and power commander V the 1190r is quite the 160+hp sport touring bike)

20210706_175827.jpg
    Enfo and Chickenstrip like this.