Sport Tourers; Where Art Thou?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Rider, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mellroc

mellroc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about noise, but this made me think of something....
    The first two bikes I did serious multi-state touring on were naked street bikes (relatively same protection as an ADV bike, really). I disliked the look of fairings and always blew them off strictly on form. I made heavy use of heated grips, heated gear, and lots of layers when I was traveling through less than stellar weather. I can recall many days where I had heated gear cranked up and was still shaking cold when things dipped down into the high 30s or wet 40s.

As soon as I moved to my first fully faired sport touring bike, I found my ability to keep warm was much less difficult. Whereas before I needed heated gear and layers and was often still shaking when I arrived at my destination. I can now get away with just layers and mild discomfort on a fully faired bike. And this is all due to airflow management.

I'll never go back to touring on a naked bike (if I can help it) except for summer months.
  2. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Starbucks has been claimed by BMW riders. The rest of you need to find your own venue. I'm pretty sure for Harleys it's Golden corral. Yamaha is Panera and Indian Stone Creek apparently. Suzuki and Kawasaki can share Tim Hortons because their numbers are so few and they all live in Canada. And Honda is Bed, Bath and Beyond if I recall. All the other brands get McDonalds.
  3. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    HA HA.

What the heck is Stone Creek? As I'm Dutch and ride an Indian I'm claiming Dutch Brother's for us, but will be readily invading Tim Horton's whenever I make it up north to the Canadian Toucher states.
    davyjones and nevada72 like this.
  4. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    I think you can patch over to Dutch Brothers from Stone Creek. It's a regional thing. Or maybe sew a "Nomad" patch on your cut to avoid conflict. :lol3
  5. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Its Chapter 0-0 for the CVMA actually. So there :photog

Funny enough, there is a Stone Creek Cafe in Englewood, CO. Menu looks good, but I'm not driving that far on a regular basis just for Coffee.
  6. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a 'drive,' it's an ADVENTURE! :lol2
  7. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    I'd say you don't understand Denver traffic, but I see you're from NYC..... so touche LOL

That being said, its bad enough I work within the ring of fire that is the greater Denver area. I avoid coming down here as much as possible.
    davyjones and Chickenstrip like this.
  8. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Tim Horton's? :scratch

Kinda a Fleet Farm fan myself up nort here on my Suzuki. :D

I'm not that fart nort.
  9. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure Harleys are hole in the wall bars full of day drinkers.
    M33 likes this.
  10. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    I think you are allowed a Dunn Bros exception.

That's what they want you to think.
  11. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I guess I have been to one. Been around 10 years though. 8.9 miles away from me is the closest.
  12. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sooo Starbucks with a different logo?
    M33 and dtysdalx2 like this.
  13. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:

It's amazing how they have grown. I used to go to the original hole in the wall one on Grand in St Paul. The quality was excellent. They roasted it right there. And I rode my GS!

I was at one like the one in the pic. The quality definitely slipped from the good old days.
    cristobal likes this.
  14. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Oh! And it occurred to me that my other BMW is one of, if not the first, sport touring bike. That one I ride to custard stands -
    IMG-0215.jpg

This is a local old school favorite. Hasn't changed in decades. Even has kiltie clad car hops.
    davyjones, Chickenstrip and Versatek6 like this.
  15. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    I’ve never seen such a fancy looking Dutch Brothers. Most of them look like windmills and are drive thru or walk up only.

Exit: ha ha, misread the sign
  16. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    R69S owners might differ…

AF010652-696A-4254-9F23-83806E7C28C3.jpeg
  17. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Touché! I was gonna point to the late '70s R100RS.
    My good friend moved East Coast to West Coast on an R69 (/2?) and he still raves about their beauty (looks and performance). I've always been more into higher revving, faster bikes (UJMs, sport-tourers), but I can understand the beauty of this much mellower ride ... more and more, in fact. There's one for sale in mugBook ... $24K is the ask.
    Blackshirt likes this.
  18. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I like having my Ducati restricted to McDonald's
    I have gotten used to the way Ducati treats me in their hospitality tents at the race tracks. I have come to like the biscotti they serve with the espresso there.
    Since Ducati is also European and no threat to the BMW market share, could we get a variance and allow us Ducati riders to SHARE the Starbucks with the BMW folks?
  19. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ducati do it up right...we had a great time at COTA and touring their factory/museum.

IMG_20190414_123235259_HDR.jpg IMG_20190414_134016282.jpg DSC04979.JPG DSC05004.JPG
  20. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    The issue with sharing Starbucks with the BMW crowd is that they get very hostile and territorial. Even is tough as nails KTM guys got tired of constantly having to lay down beatings on them just to get a soy latte and started going to Red Frog instead.
    davyjones, racer1735 and Chickenstrip like this.