1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Sportbike to Sport-tourerish?

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Mongle, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Ok, thought I would drop this idea in the blender and see how bad it taste!:lol3

I was trying to sell my TL1000R and found out two things: 1. I think it is worth more then everyone else and 2. I really don't want to see it go.

My problem is I can't ride it more then 200-250 miles in a day due to old shoulder and wrist injuries. My other problem is I can't seem to sell it and/or afford what I would want to replace it (FJR). Soooo.....

Has anyone converted a sportbike to a sport tourer? Higher bars (thinking dirtbike bars), lower the pegs, Make it a single sided exhaust and move it down to allow room for some bags.

Owning a full machine shop making things like bar risers, peg mounts, bag mounts, etc doesn't scare me but things like "what bars to run" I have no idea where to start. Are longer cables available? Can you buy brake lines that are custom length? I've seen the stunt guys put dirtbike bars on their bikes but my wheelie days are long over and I would rather hear from someone that likes to ride distance.

My big question is am I going to mess the ergonomics/handling of this thing so bad it wont be rideable and all the work and $$ will be in vain.

Lets hear ideas!
  2. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you have got it all planned out, more or less. :D
    Pick up some dirt bike bars that you like the feel of, and start fitting parts. I don't know much about the TL, but if it's got clip ons, you might need to find either some Heli bars, or some kind of adapter or a top clamp that will accept some off road bars.
    I struggled with the same decision with my Triumph Tiger, but in the end, it made more sense for me to sell it and start with something else. It was a beautiful bike, and I miss it at times, like on a nice day like today.
    Some days are dirt bike days, and some days are smooth riding quiet bike days.
    If you don't mind hanging on to it, I bet you can make it work for you, right up to the point I did with mine, or thereabouts. I made some changes, and it was comfy for everything but dirt, which I found myself on more and more. Once it took more than the price of a replacement bike to make it dirt friendly, I cut the losses, and moved on.
    Sometimes, you can reroute some cables and wires and it will be long enough. I know the cafe bike guys get custom cables, so that's a place to start sniffing around too.
  3. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work for americas largest motorcycle gear and accessory chain and have helped a few people do what your looking to do and have seen it done many times by members over on svrider.com.

Galfer and spiegler both make custom length brake lines, retail would be roughly $105 for those, motionpro will make you up some cables as well for around $75 or you could just source a used throttle housing and cables from a naked Sv or Vstrom and it with some tinkering it should work for you fairly easily.

Also lots of those guys use buell footpegs which are an inch lower than stock and bolt on to most suzuki sportbikes.

As for bars I would suggest a protaper evo bar of your choosing along with the protaper 1-1/8" risers for around $110.

I don't believe a custom top triple is absolutely needed for mounting bar risers, I've seen lots of people use the stock peice with no problems, probably the best way to do it is cut some aluminium blocks to fill in the back sides of the triple where you will be drilling to distribute the load, which is'nt very much at all unless you crash, but I have seen people simply cut some filler peices from 1/4" aluminium and jb weld it in before mounting the risers, even that questionable setup survived a bike totalling crash without breakage of the triples.
  4. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Honda 919 with Renthal bars and SW Motech Trax bags. Couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]
  5. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Everything you would need to buy like brake lines and cables is a phone call away. I bought custom lines from Spiegler and was very pleased with their product.
  6. BRE

BRE Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Owning a full machine shop making things like bar risers, peg mounts, bag mounts, etc doesn't scare me but things like "what bars to run" I have no idea where to start.

This should be like a walk in the park for you.

My big question is am I going to mess the ergonomics/handling of this thing so bad it wont be rideable and all the work and $$ will be in vain.

Your ergo changes are going to be bolt on, don't sweat it. If you screw up on peg mounts or risers build another set. For ergos I would suggest starting with the pegs. They will be the most difficult. Remove the stock pegs. Make a mock up plate that u can bolt on the in the vicinity of the pegs. Drill 3/8 holes in the mock up plate where u think you want the pegs. Use 3/8 X 4" bolt for mock pegs. Put it on the bike and sit on the bike check out your peg location, if you don't like it move them until you happy. When your doing this don't put your hands on the stock bars, put your hands in space where you think you want your bars to be. With your resources it should be pretty easy mock up the bar location as well. Once you got a location you are happy with design your mounts and let those chips fly.
  7. wcohl

wcohl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speigler makes a handlebar kit for your bike.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/handlebar-conversion-kit-4343.htm

I had one for my ZX9. The kits are pricey, but include everthing needed, longer brake lines, etc. Very detailed instructions.

The kit worked great for my Ninja, but I ran into a road block trying to figure out how to mount luggage and a centerstand to my bike. I don't have the resources you do. I ended up buying a sport tourer.
  8. aposaric

aposaric Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer:
    I am doing similar conversion on my '90 kawasaki zzr 600. I am puting bolt through bar clamps on my triple, and I am puting supermoto handlebars, handprotectors with built in led blinkers. I had to stretch the cables for 15 cm. I have a high end profesional cable manufacturer near my house, so I had to take my original cables and housings to the shop so they can convert them. Alltogether, I have 2 gas cables, one clutch cable and one choke cable to lenghten, alltogether around 50$ and the owner said that it wil last for the next 10 years :-), I think that this is the easiest route. Don't forget the longer brake line, this can get pricey. I still didn't source mine, my build is on a budget, so I wil use a brake line from some other bike with lenghth that suits my need. Fortunately, all the comand electric wires are long enough, so I don't have to mess with it. I have a build thread here somewhere, but I didn't update it for a while, this years skiing season was great, so I didn't work much on my bike :-)

good luck with the conversion :freaky
  9. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    I put this kit on my SV650S. Personally, the instructions could have been far more complete (torque specs?) but it was simple enough for a first time owner to install.

I did end up ordering a longer clutch and throttle cable even though it wasn't absolutely necessary in my case. I used a OEM clutch cable from the naked model and throttle cables sourced from convertibars.com, another vendor you may consider.
  10. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! Gives me some food for thought!