Sports for your sports?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by eatpasta, Oct 1, 2019.

1. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    I do security in a bowling alley as a side gig and there always people in the bar watching sports, which I doubt is a shock to anyone.

Drinkin beer - watchin sports.

There's no problem with people watching sports on TV unless of course they are neglecting a family or something like that....but then after the sporting thing, there is a show to talk about the game.

Ok fine, let's talk about the game...that we all just watched. We all saw it - but let's watch it again.

Recently when I was clocking in, I noticed our event room was filled with people doing the fantasy draft. They were in their for hours.

Then later on in the evening there was a TV show about the fantasy league!

Partly I guess I'm just jealous and bitter that people actually have enough spare time to do all of these things but do we really need sports then a show about the sports you just saw, then fictional sports then a show about fictional sports....?

How much sports do people need?!
    scootac likes this.
  2. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's fucking stupid, but to each their own. I'm glad they don't all ride motorcycles or bicycles and clog up our roads and trails, so there's that.
    fullmonte likes this.
  3. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    That's a fair point...
  4. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I see it as an excuse to avoid other responsiblities. Get kids involved in sports at 4-5 years old.....let coaches babysit the kids. High school? Join a team....avoid part-time jobs and family doings. After that.....do what you saw....talk and drink beer.
    And.....there's no end.....no sport ends without more taking its place.
    Endless fucking cycle.
  5. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I certainly agree with you in that it's just endless distractions from actual life.

It's sad that people need that much escapism

My son who is 6 hasnt shown much interest in joining organized sports and I'm not encouraging it yet. It's expensive and consumes quite a lot of time.

When he gets to jr high or high school, I would like him doing something physical for sure if for anything else that experience of being a part of a team I believe is invaluable.

I believe that the talent is there.... about a year ago I saw him over at his friends house spot a tball setup. He grabbed the bat, set up in front of the tee, leaned back, brought his hands up, straightened his front leg and knocked the ball across the yard. By the time I turned around to congratulate him, he was onto something else

:lol3
  6. erinbomber

erinbomber in awe

Oddometer:
    It's hard these days, if your kid waits till Jr. High or High school he probably won't make the team if it's one of the big 3 he wants to play. He'll be competing for a spot with kids who have already been playing for 5 years or more. It sucks, you used to be able to walk on in high school and play a sport for the first time. That's rare these days, at least in the "team" sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer ) A kid can still run track, cross country, wrestle, swim, play tennis or even water polo (maybe not walk on Water Polo in Santa Barbara?) without experience because the rec/club world of those sports is so much smaller.

I don't do all the sports on sports on sports stuff, but I get it. It's social. Just a "group" for people to belong to. I think most people have a "thing" they're a part of or a hobby.
  7. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I get what you're saying. I just hate pushing him toward something that he doesnt want to do but I do want him to be doing something physical.

Time will tell. He is still quite young.
  8. erinbomber

erinbomber in awe

Oddometer:
    He'll tell you when he wants to try something in earnest.
    My son did. He hated it. Just, as a human, does not care for "competition", too much stress. He is athletic, but likes to do his own thing. He really liked Karate, got his 3rd degree black belt, but never went to tournament. Loves riding his dirtbike, doesn't care for racing. Daughter on the other hand is a born competitor. She tried everything and excelled at everything. She's playing college soccer with a huge smile on her face. She loves to win and losing just makes her work harder. It's weird that 2 people with the same genetic contribution could be so different, but it was immediately apparent which way they would go without any intervention by mom and dad.
  9. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fundamentally, most hobbies are kind of stupid. Sports too. Maybe even jobs.

Other than that, it's mostly friends hanging out.
    Mr. Ray and dcwilcox like this.