Sportster scorners

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dxhall, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Dxhall

Dxhall Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a Sportster last year. It’s a “Roadster” model with dual front discs, etc., but it’s still a Sportster.

I have been riding my Guzzis this year and haven’t spent much time on the ol Sporty. So I’ve taken it out the last couple days.

Sportsters have got to be the Rodney Dangerfield of bikes. Most riders won’t wave when they go by. BMW riders look the other way, as though they aren’t seeing this orange thing with two wheels and “Sportster” on the tank. The do-rag crowd just looks straight ahead, I suppose because I’m wearing a helmet. The Vespa crowd ignores me because they think that HD riders will eat their children, or something.

So I’ve parked it. Everyone waves to the ‘90 Guzzi LeMans.

So — how many Sportster scorners are on advrider? Or, how many will admit to being one?
    spokester, TonyKZ1, inline4 and 2 others like this.
  2. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    Are you serious?

The validation of others means that much to you?

Wow.
  3. T-34

T-34 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love mine, and it's an 883 Low. I'm an experienced rider. I love riding it, and I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks. People wave to me all the time.

20201022_154819.jpg
  4. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I had an 88 1200 evo and it was a good bike. Of course, it was no speed demon and heavy had a lot of fun with it. I sold it for more than I paid for it but that was in the mid-90s and the Harley craze was going o and there were not many to be had.
  5. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    The bike I miss most was a 2001 sporty 1200c. I will definitely have another sportster.

I have absolutely no idea what the op is talking about.

Ride more, think less.
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I had a 1996 Sportster Sport that I turned into a truly sporty bike unlike the piece of crap way Harley Davaidson delivered it. IOWs, I fell for the marketing. But no matter; the bike really handled well the way I set it up with 18" spoked wheels and longer rear shocks providing actual amount of travel. I would still own in if it were not for the fact of engine vibration. Curing that vibration in later models resulted in 60 pounds added to an already heavy bike. It had a nice look from ten paces, but up close it looked like a 1920s motorcycle. I did enjoy it for over 40k miles, tho and it was the first motorcycle I rode that the engine did not blow up from my riding style of the time.
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I think he night be talking about thinking he would enjoy the comradery among H-D owners, similar to that enjoyed among other brands and types of motorcycles. In general, my opinion is that most H-D owners are into themselves.
    adv63 likes this.
  8. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps his post was in jest?

I wave at all bikes, trikes, scooters, and Spyders.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:

Not getting waved at... Something something, invisible to bmw riders.... Doo rags, something looking ahead something, eating babies, something.

"so I've parked it"

To each their own. If someone's enjoyment of a particular motorcycle is contingent on what other people think........

Ill leave it there. That's not how I approach life. I wish the op happiness and safe miles on whichever bike he prefers riding, for whatever reasons that please him.
    snglfin, kokemill, shinyribs and 6 others like this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my first Sportster/Harley back in June. I hated Harley's before this. I love this f#@*&ing bike!

garage sporty.jpg
  11. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    On ADV rider it is more Harley Haters than Sportster haters.
    I wave at everybody BMW, JapanINC, Guzzi, Triumph, Harley, Ford but not Chevy. GMC is okay.
    I think paying more attention to the ride than other riders would be a good start.
    phughes, c1skout, severely and 7 others like this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wave at all brands and types of bikes and in my experience most riders, regardless of type or brand wave at me. It doesn't matter which of my motorcycles or scooters I am riding. If someone doesn't wave I don't get my panties in a wad. I ride because I enjoy riding, not to get as many waves as I can.
  13. T-34

T-34 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I draw the line at Spyders. I'll wave to a bus full of kids before a Spyder. :-)
    spokester, Rollin', Xchemie and 5 others like this.
  14. Bors

Bors Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ride more. Think less.
    TonyKZ1, AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

The weight difference between your solid mount and the rubber mount bikes is about 30 lbs on average. Still substantial but not 60 lbs substantial.

As examples, my 2001 weighed 537 on my scale with my 2019 weighing 566, both tanks full.
    Snowbird, AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I'll go for a ride:D
    TonyKZ1, Bors and Traxx like this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I even wave at Jeeps and convertibles. Anyone that wishes to actually participate in the world around them rather than existing in a perpetuum of sterility deserves a moment of recognition.
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Sportster, and didn't care for it at all. That's me, and no reason to judge others one way, or the other because they feel different.
    AZbiker, Ginger Beard, T-34 and 2 others like this.
  19. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love all kinds of bikes, and respect riders no matter what they sit on. But, I did get a chance to throw a little Sportster shade a while back.

We had a new girl start at the office. When I pulled up, I saw that she had a large Harley decal on the back window of her car. As I took my helmet off in my office, she came to introduce herself.

"Hi, this is my first morning. I see you ride, what do you have?"
    "That's my Honda out there parked next to your car."
    "Oh... Honda... that's a shame."
    "Really? Why, what do you ride?"
    "Oh, I don't ride. But my boyfriend has a Harley. A Sportster!"
    I coughed loudly.
    "Sorry... just threw up in my mouth a little bit."
    woods wizard, Bucho, Traxx and 3 others like this.
  20. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I were to buy a Harley, it would either be a Sportster, striped down, lean and mean. (Well, as lean as a Harley can be) or a full dresser tour rig. Nothing in between tickles my fancy.
    PlainClothesHippy and Traxx like this.