Sportster scorners

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dxhall, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Laconic

Laconic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Real Sportsters have 2" drag pipes.
    Traxx and HuntWhenever like this.
  2. jacktwitch

jacktwitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a jeep and a motorcycle. I am so sick of the wave.

The wave used to mean something among offroaders, including a lot of non jeepers.
    It meant if you are broke down on the side of the road I will stop and do my best to help.

I have stopped on my bike to help a kid with an overheating YJ
    I have stopped in my jeep to give gas to a guy on a bike.

I have been broke down on my jeep and been passed by idiots in shiny jeeps with armoralled tires and "its a jeep thing you wouldnt understand" tire covers
    I have been on the side of the road with a flat on my bike and been passed by the pirate crew who took the time to flip me off.

Thats fine, I carry the kit to fix my own stuff, so long as I am conscious I do not need your help.
    Ill keep stopping to help but I am sick of this stupid waving thing from soccer moms and "bad ass" pirates.

Having rode only japanese bikes for years when I rented a harley on vacation it cracked me up how the dynamic of people who waved at me was inverted.

Ride your ride. If I see you broke down I will stop and help. Dont let a stupid wave influence you.
  3. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, okay. I don't wave at Groms. That's going too far. :D
    Traxx, HuntWhenever and AZbiker like this.
  4. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    If you absolutely hated riding your Sportster, but everyone on the road waved at you, would that make you want to ride it more?
    phughes, strommonster, Amphib and 6 others like this.
  5. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only wave at bikes within one model year of whatever I'm riding and of a similar color. Doesn't have to be the exact color. I'm just not that picky.
    inline4, snglfin, shupe and 7 others like this.
  6. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I rode one once. Thing vibrated like a two dollar whore. Made so much noise I couldn't hear anything. The front end felt heavy as could be, and the rear brakes felt like they were made of cheese. The suspension was crap, and with the forward controls every bump went straight into my pale hairy fat ass. To date it is the only bike I've ridden that I would not care to ride again.
    knight and richrd like this.
  7. PSYOP SGM

PSYOP SGM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I traded my 2015 Iron 883 in for my F750GS. I really enjoyed the bike for short distance rides but was a bit too cramped on her to do longer distances. That being said I had no mechanical issues with the Iron in the 10k miles I put on it. I always found it funny that people talked about the motor being too small. It had plenty of get up and go but could have really used a 6th gear. Do I miss it, no, do I regret owning it, not at all.
  8. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a few exceptions I'll be damned if I can tell what exact bike is coming at me.
    I sure as hell could not tell a Sportster from most other single headlight standard or cruisers.
    spokester, Hamamelis, inline4 and 9 others like this.
  9. kokemill

kokemill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my sportster, it will be the last to go. I have too many bikes, but I'm always looking for another sportster. I need a few, first i need a pre 04 solid mount with good suspension fitted out as a gravel bike. Next I need a stripped down rubber mount with loud pipes to ride around town and be an jerk, basically a therapy bike. I also need one with mid-controls to mount up a sidecar so i don't have ride the Ural every where. and finally, i need one with locking bags and topbox as an airport bike once covid is over (probably never get this one as 20 year old full dress glide prices are falling and it will be cheaper and easier to buy with the bags already mounted).

Around here the Custom model (much Chrome with the skinny front wheel and the weird pullback riser) is out of fashion and they seem to be widely available around the $4k mark. downside is factory forward controls which is not good for gravel or sidecar.

My sportster is quicker and handles better than my dyna or road king. It is my wife's favorite 2 up bike, she likes being close. it looks good, HD farkles are high quality, lots of other stuff available from infinte venders. I can buy almost anything for any year at Sportyparts. It is absolutely reliable, and has been coast to coast with only oil changes and new tires. ya, except for that bitch in a white pickup truck in Arkansas that broke my shift lever, not the sporty's fault. my only limitation is that my top end is 85-90 with stock pipes

I'll wave at you, just blink your brights twice so i know its you. if you really have the need to be waved at then you need a Ural. Everyone waves at a Ural, everyone talks to you when you stop, some people follow you, people want to sit on/in it and have their picture taken. Little known fact, even if the pirate/rider doesn't wave the pillion always at the monkey. The monkey now puts on makeup every time we take it out since she knows she will have her picture taken and end up on instagram and facebook. YMMV: I have not considered the wave value of a good looking monkey.
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    My 1996 was, IIRC, 503 to begin, probably a little less after removing the cast wheels and going to spoked.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I'm curious if that was measured weight full tank or if that was published weight? I've weighed 3 different solid mount bikes and none were under 525 lbs.

Spoked wheels drop a ton of weight! I was dumbfounded by the wheel weight on my 01'.
  12. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Interesting.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    This is kinda funny.
    I honestly don't do much street riding anymore. But I'll wave to whoever when I'm out on my dualsport. I almost always get a wave back from all riders. (Way higher percent than when I used to ride a sport touring bike)

But it reminds me of dirtbikes ragging on quads/UTVs/jeeps or whatever while out on the trails. Bikes ARE clearly superior, but its still polite to wave and/or stop to help someone in need.
    Traxx and T-34 like this.
  14. T-34

T-34 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked your post, and mostly agree, but UTV drivers never get waves. I'm a purist. I have witnessed their behavior, and abhor it.

Gem heard recently at St. Joe State Park, Missouri: "do you think these fake DOT stickers will fool them? Me too!"
    strommonster and Traxx like this.
  15. Dxhall

Dxhall Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, the Guzzi was in the back of the shop, so I took the Sportster to Boulder today. Lots of waves, A smug looking guy in a Prius may have flashed me the middle finger, but he may have picking his nose, so I let it go. Life may be good after all.
    Traxx, T-34 and rd400racer like this.
  16. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I get more waves from Sportster riders than from baggers.
    I really want to like Sportsters as they are (mostly) good looking bikes. One ride was enough to tell me it isn't for me.
    Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    I don’t think the OP was meant as a complaint, but an exaggerated observation. I’ve had a couple Sportsters and I’m a huge fan, but there is a weird vibe out there. My 1200 was referred to as a Skirtster ( which is funny if it was meant in good fun) by some Big Twin guys I knew and a Girl’s bike by countless others. I don’t know when a 1200cc became a girls bike. Even when I rode a Buell S3, I was asked at the Dealership by salesmen and customers if I was ready to step up to a Big Twin. The worst was when a supposedly knowledgeable salesman said a Buell is just a dressed up Sportster. I took it all without insult because I remember when a 650cc was a big touring bike.

There is a bunch of anti Harley aholes out there, it’s the internal anti sportster that surprises me. Unit construction was the norm by the 1970s and my big twin buddies would tout it as the best, yeah, that and Royal Enfield so it must be the way to go. Alls good and thanks for reading this if you lasted this long.
    Scoozi, Hamamelis, phughes and 6 others like this.
  18. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really used to like rhe Sportster, at least what they used to be, a fun laid- back backroad blaster, which was a big oart of what I was looking for when I was shopping for a new bike in the Winter of 2017. I really do not like what HD did with them in cruiserfying (crucifying fits too) them by taking away suspension travel and giving them solo seats. I really wanted one to cross-shop against the T120. The Sportster an the Bonneville used to be such fierce rivals.
    Scoozi, TonyKZ1, Xchemie and 5 others like this.
  19. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the suspension and saddle aside. They are still 2 very different bikes. The bonniville looks the part but doesn’t feel it, well to me at least. The rear suspension can be upgraded in less than a hour and the saddle in 10min.
    The Bonnie is a little more expensive, at least around me.
    Granted we all have different tastes, and that is awesome. How boring would it be if everything was the same.
    vecchio Lupo and PeterTrocewicz like this.
  20. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it would be easy to turn a Sportster into exactly what I want, but it costs too much because the current line is so far away from what I'm looking for. A new bike for me is major expenditure and it needs to be close to what I want. The Bonnie was so close that it just required my standard additions of soft saddlebags and a backrest/luggage rack for my wife. I believe that the "standard" version of the Sportster would have been just as close if it was still offered. The Sportster would have a different feel, a different personality of course, I might have even enjoyed it more.
    TonyKZ1, AZbiker and Traxx like this.