Sportster scorners

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dxhall, Nov 4, 2020.

1. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a Sportster. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, a Sportster with stalk mirrors and the classic 3.3 gallon tank just has the best silhouette in motorcycling in my opinion!

I wanted something quicker and sportier, but I still lust over Sportsters. I'd love to ride one of those Roadster models. It's like a finished version of what I was slowly turning my 2002 into.
  2. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s fair. Hell, Ride your own Ride brother!!!
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  3. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    I've hated my Sportster since 1983.

Sounds like a tractor and smells like one too.
    Rides like a buckboard and has brakes that are no better than a stick dragging on the road.
    I don't put oil in it anymore. I just throw a quart at it once in a while.

I'll have that Sportster till I'm dead, and my death will likely be the result of some Sportster mishap.
    Sportsters suck. Especially mine.

If you see me riding, wave to me. I'll wave back, unless removing my hand from the bars causes a head shake. :-)

sporty71.jpg
  4. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats ok, I'm to busy to wave back when riding a Grom. :p
    BD9E7E7F-147A-4B9E-97A8-F432C8E4D020.jpeg
    Traxx, Bucho, Ginger Beard and 2 others like this.
  5. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of different sportsters out there. I am not a fan of the slammed ones, but with normal suspension, they are good bikes and still my favorite Harley motor.

The one I wish I could find a low mileage, unmolested, cheap version of is this.
    2013-indy-ama-harley-series-results-1.jpg
  6. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you find a two dollar whore? Just asking for a friend.
  7. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Places most would fear to tred...
    Traxx and van the man like this.
  8. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sportsters seem coolest when the owner makes them into something else. Its a platform to create from, in my opinion.

As for the wave, I went through various opinions over the years. I feel like, what the hell, I will wave and contribute a little bit to the idea of the brotherhood of riders. Doesn't cost me anything to move my hand and its a nice idea.
  9. Bobdog

Bobdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are like me. I want to build at least three or four different Sportsters. Of course the ADV bike with the fork swap and hard cases. Then always wanted to do a street tracker with a Buell motor. Then a modern spin on the factory cafe racer. Then some kind of hard fail chopped or bobber. The great thing about starting with a Sportster is that I can usually buy two for the price of a Dyna.
  10. inline4

inline4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lust for a Sportster.

I have a FXR I take to the Black Hills.
    A Moto Guzzi to update my mechanic skills.
    Several sohc 750 Hondas ...I like em.

But the coolest bikes in town are some old stripped down Sporters. Ridden to the hardware store, parts store or wherever. Sorta Flat black, I guess, patina, a little rust, leave it in the
    rain....
    They just have that old timey
    look .
    spokester, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  11. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd wave. No problem. If it wasn't for that 'eating the children of all my friends who ride Vespas' bit :D
    Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  12. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    No one waves? I call BS.

I wave at everyone. I don't care what you ride or if you wave back. Hell, I even wave at 50cc scooters and Can-Ams.

Don't want to wave back? I could care less. RYOR. Care less, ride more.

iLaughed.
    Andyvh1959, Dayypete, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  13. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been getting real close to purchasing a cheap sportster as an experiment as I have always been a harley hater.
    BUT the only harleys that I have ridden were highly modified with goofy features; apes, fwd controls, dropped, ext., and I hated them.

I spoke to one of my coworkers that loves his harleys about this, and he quickly told me NOT to purchase a sportster as I will be selling it real quick.
    (he tells me this due to my experience level with bikes, riding since 5, ride difficult enduro stuff, squidding on my SDR., general enthusiasm for bikes)
    He says i will regret it and be selling it real quick, suggests getting a bigger unit as I don't need a starter bike.

I'm not a cruiser guy, but am thinking of something relaxed when I don't feel the need to hoon.
    He has a beautiful Deuce that even I like, I am leaning towards something like that currently.

I just really want a stockish one that me and the wife can go on a nice ride on.
    She no longer wants to get on the SDR as I let her experience 3 gears of 80% throttle....lol.
    It really wasn't designed for a passenger anyway.

I have gotten intrigued by the idea of a bike I can just ride lazy and CHILL not look at everything as an obstacle, while screaming at folks to get OFF MY FUCKING RACETRACK!!!
  14. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I've always liked the idea of the sportster, just a standard motorcycle type thing. I have heard they are built for shorter people. I am 6'3", any taller riders tried one? Did it suck?
    Traxx likes this.
  15. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    I strongly recommend not listening to anything that guy says regarding Sportsters. There is a very good chance you guys see things related to motorcycling very differently.

Have you checked out any of the rides in the Go Sportsters thread?

Look long enough and you will see dirt and gravel oriented machines, and even one sporting a Windjammer fairing.

They don't HAVE to have uncomfortable seats or horrible suspension travel. There are solutions for both situations, from cheap to expensive.

96-03 are the best for building into an adv machine, cafe racer or dirt tracker, but the rubber mounts (04 to present) are smoother out on the road.
    Hamamelis and Traxx like this.
  16. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    Anyone that uses the term "starter bike" to describe a motorcycle with less than 1.5L of displacement gets a hard eye roll from me.

Just the other day:
    "Nice bike, how big is the engine?"
    "Around 1200cc"
    "How big is that in cubic inches?"
    "IDK, like 70ish?"
    *smirks* "That's a nice starter bike. How long have you been riding?"
    *hard eyeroll*
    ... enjoy the 70hp out of your 103ci engine

EDIT: The same logic applies to people that like to equate bike weight with experience. Yeah, your Road King is 150lbs heavier than my GS, but I see the way you need BOTH feet to balance at a stoplight... Meanwhile my short-ass 28" inseam can handle a 34" seat height.
  17. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I added a harley to my stable, I would not be looking to really modify it much at all.
    I would want it to be a LOW maintenance, low stress thing. Just something that starts and goes when I want it to.
    Would even prefer it to have stock exhaust and everything. + a nice seat for my sweetie.
    I see no reason to try to pretend these things can be "fast", and I am not looking for that at all.

Also do not see the reason for "confused" bikes; ADV bikes-Scramblers and would not even think of trying to turn it into one.
    By trying to do everything, they do nothing good or even well.
    After going through ADV style stuff- DR650 (meh, but otherwise OK), KLR650 (same as DR but better for street), CB500x (steaming raging pile of shit), Super Tenere (brutally overweight/under powered, but comfy)

I prefer focused bikes and am much happier since I decided to go this way.
    SDR-Hoon/squid machine, 501-dirty Hoon machine, Baby Duke- Stunt/practice bike...exc.

But if I purchase a harley, it will be for a use that cannot be stated well on a spec sheet.

It will be there to simply.....ride.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not disagreeing with you about the attitude thing, but a Road Kings weight is extremely low (like practically on the ground) so it is easy to hold up with one leg, probably easier than my airhead BMW was, that also carried its weight low, but was much taller.
    Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  19. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    just, defiantly look at the stuff with taller seat heights.
    The ones that have super short shocks ride very differently, even if they look very similar.

They have built a lot of sportsters with pretty standard ergos and suspension, but they typically did not sell as well and many of them have been modified for a “look”

Can probably just take a tape measure with you, and if the shocks are less than 13” it is probably not the bike for you, unless you want to change them,
    Ginger Beard, Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  20. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    Thank you for making my point ;)
    Traxx likes this.