Sportster scorners

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dxhall, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, Ah, I see.

I don’t really get the need to rank experience anyways. Like I have to justify my riding cred to anyone. It does seem worse since I bought the Harley as well. From the people that know me I have heard a lot of “ I guess it is ok since you also race” , or “is is ok because I build bikes. Like my riding existence is on some kind of scale that moves up and down with what mistakes I have made and what bike I buy.

honestly it doesn’t seem healthy for young riders that don’t want to be viewed as being low on that scale. I think this is what drives some of the poor choices bike wise and poorly executed risky riding.
    sixspeed, Ginger Beard, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  2. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea and the guys that equate HP to bike experience LOL. We all have that thing that we think makes a good/experienced/insert what ever bike rider. Some guys its how many miles you put on a year or if you ride extreme dirt or what ever.
    zaxrex and Ginger Beard like this.
  3. inline4

inline4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well....if one buys a pre owned Sportster, and buys it right, you can usually sell it for same.
    Big John Sny and Traxx like this.
  4. inline4

inline4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I have never heard anyone slam a Sporty or the rider. Most guys just chat with the owner, I suppose older guys who are considering a lighter bike.
    ? ? ?
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  5. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    At 10 years riding, I KNOW I'm not very experienced no matter what I ride.

My dirt experience is non existent.
  6. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At my work there was a Harley guy who has since quit. In the ten years he worked there I saw him ride in twice. He eventually sold his ‘78 superglide but refused to ride his older sportster. He said it was a “girls” bike.
    I would rather ride whatever motorcycle than take the car.
    T-34, TonyKZ1, Big John Sny and 2 others like this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I just bought my second Roadster and third Sportster, fourth if you include an earlier Buell in the mix. I wave at Vespas and everything else. Generally speaking, everyone waves back.

From a health and financial standpoint (retired on a fixed income) the new Roadster is likely my last bike after 43 years of riding with a beaming smile. I don’t have a problem with that.
    phughes, Traxx, T-34 and 3 others like this.
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd wave at a bus load of kids before I'd wave at a rider... more effect... good effect.

As for a Spyder, it is simply a motorcycle with two front wheels, if one chopped off the front of the frame and welded on a head set it would be a two wheel motorcycle. That's better than a Morgan or the Slingshot. Those are cars missing a rear wheel. The riders are "in the breeze" as much as most tourers and sport tourers. I have no problem with that personally.

If I had a big garage and could afford it I'd have a Sportster set up like the old 883 class Sportsters set up for road racing. They do handle pretty good.
  9. tennmoto

tennmoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m on my 6th Roadster, they all get compliments. I love them 7D917FF6-F447-4158-9683-E076C7CCE91F.jpeg

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard, Traxx, T-34 and 3 others like this.
  10. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tend to think of the Spyder as a snowmobile on wheels rather than a motorcycle, not to detract from them.. I see many similarities in styling with BRP's Ski-Doo snowmobile line. I remember reading about Summer conversion kits back in the late 70's.

If I had the money I would take a Forty-Eight and build it into the Standard that the Sportster used to be. Longer travel suspension, reworked of course. A good 2-up seat. Shiny bits for the engine covers, along with an engine hop-up. A tach. Wire wheels with standard tire sizes and more classic looking fenders. And because its going to be a classic looking Sportster, it has to have the Buckhorn bars and the eyebrow headlight mount. Yeah, I'm weird that way.
    Some would say that the Roadster is a better starting point because of the suspension and tire sizes, but I prefer the classic look of "right-side-up" forks and shiny suspension. This is MY dreamboat sweetheart!
    I did give this much thought when I last went bike shopping a little over 3 years ago.
    RedDogAlberta, Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  11. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I kiiiiinda want a Roadster for quite some time, but every time I start looking, I end up buying something else. This time it was MT09 that won. Go figure, 2/3rd the weight and double the horsepower... Maybe next time I get the itch!
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 3rd Sportster. They really are just wonderfully enjoyable bikes.
    RedDogAlberta, Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  13. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    With you on everything but the buckhorns!

An older (not even much older) Roadster or SuperLow would also make a great starting point. Just depends on whether you want the king tank or the teardrop. Going back to the time of the solid mounts, it would be an XLH.

The next one I get will probably be a Hugger because clean, cheap, low mileage examples pop up all the time. Since I'm getting new shocks in the back and new innards in the forks, all I will need is a longer jiffy stand.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    One of the best photos of me ever is on my best friend's old Sportster

73001496_10156667828430418_7289727706646708224_o.jpg

people in my 25-40 age bracket (the oft-misunderstood Millenials) love 'em because they're affordable used, cheap and easy to maintain, and fantastic city bikes (all that low-end torque). plus near-infinite potential for customization! one of my other friends even just finished building a hardtail small-block Evo chopper recently

there is a greater than zero percent chance I buy one eventually, set up similarly to the one above but with taller rear supension
  15. RatBikeRandy

RatBikeRandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a 2001 1200 bought new; put 24,000 miles on it in short time. It did have a few minor issues (rocker box gasket leaks, tachometer stopped working). All fixed under warranty.

Picked up one of the rubber mount 1200 custom for so cheap I couldn't pass up. First rubber mount Sporty I have ridden but we have had several Dynas which is a different rubber mount system. I'm impressed with the smoothness of this Sporty and it has good power; got Buell xb12 heads in 2004 so they breathe better. Transmission shifts smooth as glass, suspension is a little harsh though.

For anybody wanting to try one, all H-D dealers will let you ride any bike on the lot. If you want a cheap one and not scared of a carburetor, get 2004-2006 they can be picked up for a song. I'm gonna snag some more when they come up. Enjoying this one.
  16. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not now they can't. I am shopping and can't find a decent used sportster to buy. They are all wanting new msrp for them.
    AZbiker, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  17. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The asking prices are thru the roof on used sportsters at the dealer. I'm not in the market and I would buy from a private party, but I like to browse the dealers website just to check prices. They want $8999. for a 2016 Roadster! :yikes
    Traxx likes this.
  18. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is 1k less than the dealers here. I should have bought Traxx's before he traded it in. I know where it is, and they apparantly don't want to sell it.
    Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  19. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really?
    I would be curious what they are asking for it. I did put the stock shocks and tank back on it.

Edit
    Found it, and they are asking within $5 of what I paid for it.
  20. RatBikeRandy

RatBikeRandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the metro Atlanta area the 2004-2006 rubber mount, carb Sportsters are fairly inexpensive. Some in the $3,500 range which isn't too bad considering the cost of 250cc dual sports.

I won't say what our 2005 1200 cost a year ago, but less than 2 smart phones and a whole lot more fun.
    Traxx likes this.