Sportstour in the Alleghenies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by c1skout, Apr 30, 2016.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better luck next time. I am interested in seeing pics of an arrow from ground level. Have only seen aerial pics from the net so far.
  2. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    There wasn't much of anything on my agenda for today, so my wife and I decided to go try (again) to find a concrete arrow. 3rd time's a charm, right?
    I put my Enfield back together the other night after being downed for maintenance, and a handlebar swap. I busted a lever perch doing the swap, so it was down a couple weeks while I waited on parts to arrive and time to work on it. A couple new cables went back on with the new bars and perches, resealed the forks, new front wheel bearings and speedo drive, cleaned and regreased the headstock bearings, new primary oil, and a few more things that I can't remember right now.
    With the bike all freshened up I wanted to put some shakedown miles on it. We threw some drinks and snacks together and headed down to the barn. Just as we were pulling out it started to rain, so I run the bike back into the barn so we could reassess our options. We decided to start out with our rain gear on, rather than going a couple miles from home then stopping to change into it.
    And we're off!
    DSCN1733.JPG

We ran 53 to Portage, then 164 to Newry, where I stopped to fill the tank.
    DSCN1734.JPG

Morrison's Cove had a craft fair today, so we stopped there and the Mrs. got to do girl stuff, while I made a point of not grumbling about being there :-). It was fine, really. There wasn't much to see so we didn't stay long. She couldn't buy any BIG stuff either! It was nearing lunchtime and I suggested we try the café in town that had the big mural on its wall. Mamie's café and bakery. I put the mural pic in my last report, here's the sidewalk shot.
    DSCN1748.JPG

An interior shot of the dining room shows off more painting.
    DSCN1742.JPG
    MickeyDee likes this.
  3. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided on the BLT for lunch. The Mrs. had a reuben.
    DSCN1747.JPG

We split a slice of cherry cheesecake too! The food was excellent, the coffee was good, and the place was really hopping so it must be popular with the locals.
    DSCN1743.JPG

We left Mamie's with full bellies, and stayed on 164 to 26, where I headed north. Here's a farmland pic from in the valley on 26. The ridge on the left is the one we'll be climbing.
    DSCN1751.JPG

On the north side of Marklesburg I make a left and start up Mountain rd.
    DSCN1753.JPG

That's a bit farther up than I made it last time.
    NurseBill likes this.
  4. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a second pipeline that crosses the road near the top, here's a pic from there looking down into the valley towards rt 26 and Raystown lake. The lake would be on the other side of the nearer ridge.
    DSCN1757.JPG

We crested the hill and started down the other side. The locals had hung lots of Posted signs on both sides of the road, but I knew from my research that a Gamelands parking area should be ahead. I was planning to start my arrow search from there. I found the parking lot and fired up the GPS to get a fix.
    DSCN1759.JPG

We started walking once the handhelds figured out where we were, right back up the road we just rode down. My new gps has topo maps installed, and I could see that we'd be better off starting again from the crest of the ridge. We walked back down to the bike, suited up and rode to the top of the hill. I left the gps running and was keeping a closer eye on the posters and the gameland border, so when we reached the top of the hill I had a new plan in mind. We parked where a hiking trail intersected with Mountain rd, gps says we're .31 mile from the arrow....... but I can see it's a pretty steep drop off the hill. The Mrs. looks and says "Hmmmmm, let's go" So we go. We started with a short walk back down the road to get below the Posted signs and onto gameland. From here we started our steep descent through the woods. No trail, just heading down through sparce Mountain Laurel, pines and hardwoods. We lost elevation quickly at first, but soon it changed to a relatively gentle grade. We made it to the spot we were looking for without issue, but no arrow. Here I am at the spot.
    DSCN1762.JPG

We had a drink and started the walk back up the mountain. Then it started raining, again.
    My Wife asked where I got my coordinates and I told her the website, so she pulled out her phone and looked it up. When she showed me the webpage I remembered something. I had used an online converter to change the listed "degrees, decimal minutes" to the "degrees, minutes, seconds" that I'm more used to seeing and something MAY have gone wrong!

When we reached the bike I switched my gps to the degrees, decimal minutes system, input the coordinates again, and look, NOW it shows the spot right on the top of the ridge. It's still a short hike away, so here we go again. No steep downhill, and still no trail, just rocks this trip.
    DSCN1763.JPG

We supposedly have slightly more than a quarter mile hike to get to the arrow, and we decide to stick to the top of the ridge when possible, only dropping down when the terrain gets too rocky.
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife was leading when we found it. She had stepped on a couple downed trees, but I stepped between them and felt the cement underfoot. WOO-HOO ! My tankbag is sitting on moss that covers some of the arrow. The valley behind me is where rt26 runs.

DSCN1770.JPG

Here's my foot at the point.
    DSCN1773.JPG

Here I'm standing at the tail, my wife and the camera are about 70ft away at the point.
    DSCN1779.JPG

The tail edge.
    DSCN1781.JPG

The border of the gameland runs right past the arrow. The eastern edge of the ridge is posted, but we had no trouble getting here without crossing into land where we weren't welcome. We sat on some logs, had a snack and a drink, then headed back for the bike.
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    We left the arrow site on a less rigorous route, walking along the ridge towards the bike but angling downhill towards Mountain rd. This was much easier walking as the rocks were more spread out. I'm still scratching my head about the logistics of pouring cement up on these ridgetops. It would be a chore even today! Here's a link for related reading.

https://sometimes-interesting.com/2013/12/04/concrete-arrows-and-the-u-s-airmail-beacon-system/

Here's my parking spot on the top of the hill. The bike is pointing along the ridge towards the arrow.
    DSCN1783.JPG

a flower
    DSCN1785.JPG

We dropped off the mountain towards Williamsburg. The downhill side of Mountain was paved but not in very good shape. I took a pick of some corn standing, waiting to be combined down.
    DSCN1786.JPG

We guessed our way into Williamsburg and stopped in town to put rain gear on. Found 866 and ran that north to 22, heading west toward home. I took this pic from 22 at the rail yard by Hollidaysburg.
    DSCN1790.JPG

I stayed on old 22 up the mountain.
    MickeyDee and NurseBill like this.
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode on into Ebensburg, deciding to try out a pizza shop for supper.
    DSCN1792.JPG

DSCN1795.JPG

We both ended up ordering Stromboli instead. I don't know if the pizza is any good, but I'll vouch for the Stromboli. We ordered smalls, and each only ate half. The rest rode home in the topbox.
    DSCN1793.JPG

That's it. I finally found an arrow. 3rd time WAS a charm. I did my happy dance on the arrow point, got a couple hours worth of hiking in and rode about 100 miles.

I told the Mrs. that she sure puts up with a lot from me! 23 years worth of my idiocy this weekend, and nary a complaint from her! I wish everybody could find such a good lifemate.
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I'm sore, well at least my hip is! Think I'll relax in my chair with a water and some Advil. Getting older every day.

GPS coordinates for the arrow
    N 40 25.308'
    W 78 10.085'
    MickeyDee and B10Dave like this.
  9. gsjay

gsjay LHBMWR #294

Oddometer:
    Very nice report. I wish I could do as well...………………..
    Thank you,
    jason
    c1skout likes this.
  10. Runswithscizzors

Runswithscizzors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you found the arrow! Mamies is only maybe like......180 miles from my whereabouts on the Eastern side of the state........but for the “best Reuben in the state”, it might be worth the ride.

Always glad to see what you post!
    c1skout likes this.
  11. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jason, I appreciate that. Did you eat at Mamies when you were there? I saw your pic of the mural.

Runswithscissors, the cheesecake was worth a 180 mile ride, in my opinion.
    I wouldn't cross the street for a reuben because I don't like corned beef, or thousand island dressing. My wife does, and she said it was the best reuben she's had. Here's a pic of hers for your enjoyment (we both ordered half sandwiches).
    DSCN1746.JPG
  12. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, winter snuck up on me before I was ready this year. 2 snow events, salted roads, the bikes trapped in the barn behind piles of summer car and truck tires. Nothing had gotten winterized yet. Today was near 50 outside, so after getting ready for the rifle season opener tomorrow, I got the bikes ready to go out for a ride. I like to put Sta-Bil in, top the tank, then run a short loop to get fresh treated fuel in the carb. I haven't had any trouble storing over winter this way.

DSCN1796.JPG

Sportstour was first out. Had a couple of exciting seconds on the mud by my barn. Managed to make it to the gas station and back without hitting any big wet spots on the roads. Put it away after a 10 ish mile loop and got the Enfield fired up. I headed to a different station this time, and hit some big wet spots on the roads. Decided since it's got salt on it and I gotta wash it off, I may as well hit some dirt roads!

DSCN1797.JPG

This road has a mile or so of dirt-gravel, then turns back into asphalt. I think the township plow must have forgotten to turn the salter off when he hit the dirt, because the road was gooey mud for a bit. I made my loop then headed back home and washed the bike. Got about 30 miles in total today. The bikes are put up ready for the winter nap.
  13. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, haven't updated this yet this year! I've been busy with other things.
    The Mrs and I had no plans for the 4th. The weatherman was calling for chances of thunderstorms, we figured that was good enough odds, so we loaded some snacks and set off to the north.
    Bit of back-story: A few weeks ago I was driving home from visiting friends in Virginia. Stopped at a small gas station somewhere in West Virginia for fuel and a coffee. Inside the store were rack after rack of Case knifes. I was a bit dumbfounded, as I had never realized just how many variants the company sells. I told the Mrs we would make a trip to the factory museum this year so I could pick one out for myself.
    So for the 4th of July we headed north!
    DSCN2524.JPG

Bradford is just over 3 hours from home for me, a straight shot up US219.
    DSCN2527.JPG

I took a pic near the Zippo car before parking.
    DSCN2528.JPG

Here's the outside of the museum.
    DSCN2537.JPG

and some interior shots of the lighters displayed.
    DSCN2534.JPG
    DSCN2535.JPG
    B10Dave and johnwesley like this.
  14. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This picture of an old Checker Aerobus was in the museum too. The company used it to jitney workers who lived in town.

DSCN2536.JPG

Here's a random shot of a new lighter display. To purchase you write the stock number down and a clerk will get one for you. DSCN2533.JPG

A view of the Case knife side of the salesroom. Same way, write down a stock number to get what you want.
    DSCN2532.JPG

With my new knife in hand we headed back outside. I liked the streetlights!
    DSCN2539.JPG

I said goodbye to the Zippo car and we headed back south. This car was driven cross-country to promote Zippo lighters, back in the day.... I wonder how bad the wind noise was?
    DSCN2538.JPG

Pointed towards home again. DSCN2541.JPG
    B10Dave, NurseBill and chudzikb like this.
  15. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just south of Bradford is this old oil rig-museum. I'll come back another time to check it out.
    DSCN2542.JPG

My Wife had suggested stopping in Ridgeway on the way home, to walk around a bit and find supper.
    DSCN2544.JPG

DSCN2545.JPG

DSCN2546.JPG

DSCN2549.JPG
    DSCN2554.JPG
    It's a pretty town. But no place open to eat on the 4th. Nice to see that, even though we were getting a bit hungry. We suited back up and continued south.
    B10Dave and NurseBill like this.
  16. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the town of Brockway we found a McDonalds, and a 4th of July parade! We ate a burger then walked around town and found a place selling Ice Cream.
    DSCN2558.JPG

I got chocolate and the Mrs. picked chocolate-caramel.
    DSCN2556.JPG

Polka band on a trailer
    DSCN2562.JPG

Majorettes twirling flags. Boy is it hard to get a shot of the flags flying while the kids are spinning them around!
    DSCN2569.JPG

There were a few princesses
    DSCN2581.JPG

Even a bagpipe band!
    DSCN2589.JPG

We cut outta town before the parade was finished. I didn't want to fight traffic.
    B10Dave and chudzikb like this.
  17. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool old iron railroad bridge running over 219
    DSCN2595.JPG

South of Dubois is this neat old radio station. The grass is cut so I think it's in use.
    DSCN2596.JPG

Another historical marker.
    DSCN2597.JPG DSCN2599.JPG

The sun was dropping low behind the clouds as we got close to home.
    DSCN2601.JPG

And here's my new knife. Case mini Copperlock with blue scales. Hard to believe this is my first Case knife!
    DSCN2613.JPG
    That's all for now. We put just under 300 miles on, and only hit one rainstorm but rode out of it in about 10 miles. Good day for a ride.
    B10Dave likes this.
  18. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    How I missed this all these years I don’t know, but glad I found it. Love hearing about exploits on cool and unusually built bikes. Cool case, I’m 45 and just got my first case this year. Both of my grandfathers had a case sod buster so I decided I needed one.
  19. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, don't know how you missed it either John. You sold me the tach I'm running on my bike, but that was from my build thread.......
    Congrats on the Sod Buster! Don't imagine you rode all the way up here to get it, huh?
    My son has a Case knife that I bought him a few years ago, just an oversight on my part that I never got my own, I suppose.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. I'm enjoying this.