Sportstour in the Alleghenies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by c1skout, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Ringosdad

Ringosdad Pennsyltucky hillbilly Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of your pictures is of a farm once owned by Wendell and fern Myers. My wife is from new Germany and recognized the farm! Beautiful area!
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I once actually came into a small rural town off a backroad looking to sneak through and get gas and found myself IN a parade on my bike waving at people on sidewalks who were waving at me and I wasn't entirely clear why for a moment. Evidently my road in was the staging area and I found myself IN the parade itself. Life delivers surprises.
    c1skout likes this.
  3. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear she recognized something! I know a few Myers', one who used to have a bike repair shop and built a bunch of drag race Kaws.
    I have an uncle who lives up in New Germany .
  4. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I invited my sister and brother-in-law to join the Mrs and I on a bike ride. We left home earlyish and met at a local gas station, tanked up and headed east. We started out on rt 869, all the way to its end near Roaring Spring. Here's a shot looking out over the western valley from Brumbagh Mt.
    DSCN2645.JPG

In the next valley, heading towards Roaring Spring
    DSCN2650.JPG

This stone church is nice!
    DSCN2653.JPG

869 ends at PA36, we took 36 south to PA26 south into downtown Everett, then turned onto ols US30 east. The Igloo ice cream stand wasn't open yet.
    DSCN2658.JPG

US30 ran us into Breezewood, then we headed south on Breezewood rd just before the I70 interchange. It's saddening to see all the old, dilapidated hotels along the road, travel in the past must have been a lot different, people don't need to stop as often, I guess. Breezewood rd ran us into old PA126, then we crossed over I70 at the top of Town Hill on PA643. A quick aside: there seem to be lovely, scenic small roads all over this area, I doubt I'll ever explore them all! Every time I'm over this way I find "new" roads, and they never fail to disappoint me.
    DSCN2660.JPG

643 ran us across to US522, which we took north to McConnellsburg. We made a quick fuel and potty stop at the Sheetz on old US30.
    DSCN2667.JPG
    TownPump and B10Dave like this.
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    With full tanks and empty bladders we exited town on PA16. Our next stop was at the Buchanan birthplace state park, for our picnic lunch.
    DSCN2680.JPG

DSCN2672.JPG

We each had a sammich, and shared in the smorgasbord of healthy and junk snacks from our 2 coolers!
    DSCN2671.JPG

The trees here in this valley are neat, lots of straight, tall trunks zooming skyward to fight for the available light!
    DSCN2682.JPG

Found a small patch of these neat ground-level berries too. Some sort of wild strawberry perhaps? The leaves looked similar to the ones at home. No I didn't eat any, but something has been, you could see where lots of them had been plucked off the stems.
    DSCN2674.JPG

This is a nice, quiet park that makes a perfect lunch stop. There's no real services, just a hole-in-the ground potty and some picnic tables. I did a more in-depth review of the monument and signs the last time I was here if you're interested in more of the history of PA's only President.
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    After lunch we hit the road again. PA16 to 75 and 416. All nice (flatish) farm land through a few towns.
    DSCN2689.JPG

From 416 we rode US30 again, east through Chambersburg, and all the way till we turned off on Cashtown rd. and made our way to the round barn.
    DSCN2695.JPG

There's a flower bed there.
    DSCN2699.JPG

Some shots of the barn. It's pretty neat, built in 1914.
    DSCN2700.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

We bought apple butter, honey, and some peaches. We walked upstairs and looked at the underside of the roof too, interesting construction!
    IMG_5063.JPG
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Across from the round barn is the Thirsty Farmer brewery. We went inside and had nachos, corn fritters, a soft pretzel, and sampled some beer. The beer I had wasn't to my liking, but that's me......There was a cool urinal in the mens room.
    IMG_E5147.JPG

My wife and sister picked up some sort of "passport" here, that you get stamped when you go to other area drinking places, so they got their first stamp and wanted another.
    IMG_E5145.JPG

Next stop.......Adams County Winery.
    IMG_5085.JPG

We got to take a tour of the wine factory.
    IMG_E5150.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

And the girls got to test some wines.
    MickeyDee and NurseBill like this.
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_E5152.JPG

We bought a couple bottles to take with us, then started working our way towards home. Cashtown rd and PA116 south to PA16 west. This takes you through more scenic countryside and old towns. In McConnellsburg we headed back out to US30 west, and into Breezewood for supper. I decided to stop at the Gateway truckstop to eat. They USED TO have a good restaurant, homemade pies and dumplings, the whole works. That's gone! Now they just have a fast "food court". We all grumbled about it, then went ahead and made our selections since we were already there. That'll be my last visit though, unfortunately. I have memories of stopping there in a big truck with my Dad when I was a kid, I even overnighted there a few times when I was driving. It's a bummer, all this progress!

We made it back through Bedford on 30 before the sun went completely down, then carefully took I99, 56 west, 96 to 869, and back home. That's it. We went just about 260 miles and burned the whole day.
    TownPump, MickeyDee and NurseBill like this.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Labor Day weekend.
    I had some solo time so I strapped my tent onto the bike and headed east. I'd read a tiny bit on this forum about all the gravel roads in Micheaux State Forest, so I did a quick internet search to ascertain the fact that I can legally tent in the state forest. I figured I'd get to a state park, grab a map of the area and a camping pass, run around and find a campsite, then do some more exploring the rest of the day. Camp overnight, get up and explore some more then head home Sunday. Diiiiiidn't work out that way.

I left home, took 56 to 99 into Bedford, then got on US30 east. The traffic in Breezewood reminded me of the holiday travelers, so I decided to reroute where needed to miss out on as much of the revelry as possible.

Some day I'm going to stop at this Post Office in Harrisonville and get a decent picture. This is a fly-by shot.
    DSCN2717.JPG

I stayed on 30 through the fun part over the mountain, then headed south on 75 toward Mercersburg. Found this marker on the way.
    DSCN2720.JPG

I found some more markers in Mercersburg.
    DSCN2723.JPG

DSCN2725.JPG

I thought this old building was neat.
    DSCN2726.JPG

The Mercersburg Inn
    DSCN2727.JPG

I started heading east again on PA 16.
  10. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found more markers.
    DSCN2729.JPG

DSCN2733.JPG

After I crossed I-81 I started to find my way north. I wanted to stop at the Harley shop in Chambersburg, but I wasn't keen on fighting my way through town on 30 so I was trying for a back-door approach. I blundered into a HUGE field of sunflowers. like 2 or 300 acres worth by my guess.
    DSCN2738.JPG

My sneaking around worked, and I found my way to the bike shop.
    DSCN2743.JPG

I wanted a new pair of vented gloves, but they didn't have anything I liked in my size. Oh well, I sat on a bench outside and had my picnic lunch while watching traffic fly by on I-81.

I left the dealer the way I'd come in, then just ran country roads trying to keep going east to get away from the city sprawl. I made my way back to US 30, but didn't get far before seeing a line of brake lights ahead. Luckily I was near an intersection, so I skipped ahead on the berm and headed south again on 997. This pointed me towards Waynesboro, I'd ridden through here recently on 16, so I was happy for the chance to stop and look around.
    DSCN2747.JPG

I parked the bike and found a nice coffee shop. The friendly people inside suggested I go to Waynesburger for a sandwich, so I got a coffee, then walked a few blocks for my sandwich. I got the burger to-go, then went back up to the coffee shop and sat at their outside table to eat and watch traffic. If you're in the area, Brio coffee shop makes an excellent black coffee. The burger was fine, but nothing special.
    DSCN2749.JPG

I saw this sweet 80ish 3/4 ton Dodge drive by. V-8 stick with a set of Purple Hornies! Nice to see an 8ft stepside.
    DSCN2750.JPG
    Bors, TownPump, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  11. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left Waynesboro backtracking on 997 north. At Palo Alto I took 233. I found some more markers.
    DSCN2751.JPG

DSCN2754.JPG

I popped out on US 30 at Caledonia State park. A ranger directed me to go to the camp office for maps, etc. He wasn't real helpful, seemed to be in a hurry to get somewhere. I rode to the camp office and saw this old Power Wagon.
    DSCN2755.JPG

I parked then and walked to the office, but the door was locked. I thought "wrong door?" so I made a lap of the building but that was the only entry. I stopped again at the locked door and read the signs. They close at 4. It was 4:03 on my watch, and the nice lady inside just sat at the counter staring at me with a "go-away" look on her face. :baldy
    One of the signs on the door directs after hour visitors to the wooden kiosk outside. I go look, but there's no map that will help me. I did note the campgrounds had a few spaces available, Honor system, Special Holiday weekend pricing of $33.50 (up from $31.50). Exact change in cash please. Well, I don't have exact change, the nice lady inside ain't telling me if she does, and I'm starting to get a little upset.

My PA roadmap shows me another state park up the road a piece. I decide maybe they're open later. I suit back up and take off for the campground at Pine Grove Furnace. No dice. Office is closed and the campground is all full up. The helpful kiosk there didn't have any maps either. I need to plan better, this is all on me.

I Ran north until I exited Michaux forest, then turned back around. I hadn't noticed any gravel roads other than cabin driveways, but I never got my camp permit anyhow. My plan is all unraveled. I decide to boogie back down to Caledonia before those spots are all gone. I get there, grab an honor system envelope and pick an empty site at random. I stopped in to see the "camp host" and explained my exact change problem. They recommended a dinner spot to me, so I could set up camp, get dinner, then drop my fee in the box. So here's my camp spot for the night. DSCN2757.JPG

I had a beef brisket sandwich and mashed potatoes for dinner, got back to the campsite before dark, showered and turned in by 9. At 5:30 I woke up, packed my bedroll and tent, then had a breakfast of snacks that I had with me.
    DSCN2761.JPG

While packing my bike I met my overnight neighbor. She was in the area from DC, backpacking for the weekend. Turns out she had the same (poor) plan I did, but she also didn't find the gravel roads leading to the interior of the state forest, so she gave up and hit the campground too!

I'd decided to head up towards Carlisle before angling home, so once again I found myself heading north on 233. I noticed this sign, then turned around and got a pic of it, just because it was so...... unclear? My mind wanted to imagine Baywatch kinda babes, but I was pretty sure that wasn't the idea.
    DSCN2764.JPG

A quick internet search revealed my fears were correct, some wacko "wigged out". No bikinis.
    NurseBill, MickeyDee and chudzikb like this.
  12. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a Sheetz at the 233-US 11 intersection, so I stopped to fill the tank, grab a breakfast croissant, and grab snacks for later. I BS'd for a bit with some other riders, one from near Philly an the other from Jersey. Those are their Triumphs in the shot.
    DSCN2765.JPG

Nearing Carlisle on 11 were some more markers.
    DSCN2767.JPG

DSCN2771.JPG

Another one in town, near where I found PA 74.
    DSCN2773.JPG

A cool old barn along 74
    DSCN2778.JPG

A look back at Carlisle from the climb up the ridge.
    DSCN2779.JPG
    NurseBill, MickeyDee and chudzikb like this.
  13. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The top of the hill on 74 has a bird watching tower. It was all locked up to keep the amateurs out.
    DSCN2781.JPG

DSCN2780.JPG

I think it was still along 74 that I found this post office, strangely, it had no town name. I don't know where this was at.
    DSCN2787.JPG

I took 74 to 75, then 333 to 103. Here's some scenery shots.
    DSCN2790.JPG

DSCN2792.JPG

DSCN2795.JPG

There's a men's room in the last pic, but it's outta the shot.
  14. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCN2796.JPG

In the previous pic I got to run beside a train for a bit along 103.

More scenery
    DSCN2799.JPG

Large stone rail bridge over 522
    DSCN2804.JPG

I hit 22 and headed west. Found some more markers.
    DSCN2808.JPG

DSCN2806.JPG

Next I took 453 towards Tyrone.
    DSCN2809.JPG

From Tyrone I ran 99 a bit, then 764, old 22, and back to home. Just a little under 400 miles.
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing beats good old PA back roads!
    c1skout likes this.
  16. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's in my hometown of Mt. Union. I'm regularly running 103 and all the roads you were on. Next time, give me a yell and if I'm off and you want the company, I'll join you for awhile.

Awesome post!!!
    c1skout likes this.
  17. gsjay

gsjay LHBMWR #294

Oddometer:
    very nice report...........
    thanks for sharing.
    jason
    c1skout likes this.
  18. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks NurseBill.

I've read a bunch of your posts and we DO seem to like the same type places, we'd probably get along fine!

I'll keep quiet about those good roads in your area so it doesn't get crowded with bikes :-).
    NurseBill and B10Dave like this.
  19. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all good, I don't mind the extra bike traffic. The real backroads that are easily traveled by a regular motorcycle, don't get hit too much in my area like 994, 747, Williamsburg Mt., 305 and over to Greenwood Furnace, some odds and ends in Mifflin County I ride that nobody else seems to touch.
  20. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was taken up into Perry county by a native the other week. That was a lot of fun, good dirt and twisty back roads, with not a soul to be seen. My kind of riding.
    NurseBill likes this.