Sportstour in the Alleghenies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by c1skout, Apr 30, 2016.

1. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Nephew and I took the bikes down into Somerset county yesterday.
    DSCN2814.JPG

Nice bright late summer day, with a sprinkling of clouds.
    DSCN2818.JPG

DSCN2821.JPG

While it would have been an exceptionally nice day to just keep riding, we already had a destination in mind. The Farmer's and Threshermens Jubilee in New Centerville, PA. Here's a pic of the motorcycle parking area.
    DSCN2828.JPG

Some random shots from inside the gate.
    DSCN2833.JPG

DSCN2834.JPG
    MickeyDee, B10Dave and chudzikb like this.
  2. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This big old diesel engine is super-cool! It sits there running all weekend. Those are normal sized people in the picture, for perspective.
    DSCN2836.JPG

DSCN2835.JPG

No info on this V12 that was also sitting there.
    DSCN2839.JPG

Hit-n-miss engine running a water pump.
    DSCN2842.JPG

Hit-n-miss powered OilPull tractor
    DSCN2846.JPG

A Farmall powered rock crusher.
    DSCN2847.JPG

It's hard to believe we survived the last century as a species, with all this rampant disregard for safety warning stickers, belt and gear guarding, and heat shields.:hmmmmm
  3. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inside a shed was this wood fired maple sap evaporating furnace. That's a 5 gallon bucket of sap on the right side.
    DSCN2843.JPG

An old sawmill, and a bunch of chainsaws. They run the sawmill for demonstrations.
    DSCN2848.JPG

More old, large chainsaws. I can't imagine running one of these all day, from either end.
    DSCN2850.JPG

DSCN2854.JPG

DSCN2852.JPG

Sweet old Cub with a tiller.
    DSCN2857.JPG
    MickeyDee, B10Dave and NurseBill like this.
  4. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    As their whistles called, we wandered towards the steam tractor area. These were all burning, moving examples. It's amazing that those old riveted pressure vessels are still functioning. Even a real steam-roller!
    DSCN2866.JPG

DSCN2872.JPG

DSCN2873.JPG

This one had a 50hp rating, the largest I noticed there!
    DSCN2869.JPG

DSCN2867.JPG

DSCN2874.JPG
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCN2877.JPG

There were a couple small steam tractors there too.
    DSCN2878.JPG

The little ones made it easier to get pictures of the governor setup, look at that machining.
    DSCN2880.JPG

DSCN2881.JPG

One more pic of a whistle setup.
    DSCN2876.JPG

I don't know WHAT this is, but there were a few of them there......
    DSCN2883.JPG
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    We bought some BBQ chicken for lunch, then went to watch the truck pulls.
    DSCN2860.JPG

The Semi's went first.
    DSCN2901.JPG

Then a whole pile of classes of pickups. This old crew-cab Ford had a 5.9 Cummins.
    DSCN2898.JPG

Here's the winner of the 2wd class. E350 with a 7.3
    DSCN2902.JPG

Pretty paint on the old Chev
    DSCN2903.JPG

This was the only one to blow parts on the track. He had 'er hopping good till then!
    DSCN2904.JPG
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    After about 6hrs of trucks.........this was the last puller we watched for the day. 67 Dodge, my guess it was a fire dept. truck originally. 2 ton chassis, long bed with a stainless handrail.
    DSCN2906.JPG

We headed out to our now lonely bikes. Last 2 remaining. The traffic in and out all day had given them a total covering of dust.
    DSCN2907.JPG

Enough for my Nephew to grind a new decal into his paint. Kids!
    DSCN2908.JPG

We stopped at the Somerset Dairy-Queen for a burger, then watched the sun finish setting while riding home on PA601.
    DSCN2911.JPG

That's it Only 70 miles or so. But so much cool stuff to see, hear, and smell. Good day!
    Samspade, tjzondrz, MickeyDee and 5 others like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The " I don't know what this is" is a threshing machine. Would be driven by flat belt by a steam engine or a gas tractor. That one doesn't have a powered feed table on the end. They were fed from a wagon of oat or wheat bundles forked into the machine by one or two men on a wagon of bundled grain. The machine separates the grain from the straw and chaff.
    NurseBill likes this.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was guessing that's what it did and was, but didn't want to make a claim without knowing. I'm wrong often enough!
    B10Dave and NurseBill like this.
  10. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today my Wife talked me into taking a ride. She picked the Washington/Greene county covered bridge festival for a destination. They have different vendors-exhibits at the bridges in the 2 county area. We grabbed some snacks and set off. Not much in the way of fun east-west roads to get there, so we just took 219 south to 30 west, then 119 and I-70 to get in the vicinity. Eventually we made our first stop at the Mingo county park, Ebenezer covered bridge. Here's my parking spot.
    DSCN3062.JPG

It's a nice park, I'd like to stop back when the festival isn't happening to see it better. The crafts seemed to pull a good crowd!
    DSCN3065.JPG

Here's the bridge. I believe you can drive over it normally.
    DSCN3068.JPG

An interior shot of the structure.
    DSCN3072.JPG

One booth was selling these wire creations. Looks like a lot of work!
    DSCN3071.JPG

After exploring the first site, we loaded back up and went to another. The Henry covered bridge. We just made a quick stop here to see the bridge.
    DSCN3075.JPG

Then we started working our way back home.
  11. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This nice old stone building was on the park grounds too.
    DSCN3076.JPG

We were directed off the park grounds on a route different than how we went in, and that let me blunder into this group of bridges. The road bridge spanned over top of the old rail viaduct.
    DSCN3077.JPG

A shot looking up as we went under them.
    DSCN3078.JPG

We found our way back to I70, then stopped at the Smithton truck stop for dinner at Dennys. When I was a kid I'd stop in here regularly with my Dad, but it wasn't a Dennys restaurant then. When we left I noticed this relic on the wall.........50 cents now for a local call.
    DSCN3082.JPG

70 to 119 to 22, then some back roads to get home. A nice easy little 200 mile loop. Sure was a hot one though! We saw some thermometers reading into the low 90's!

that's it for now.
  12. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife needed to go do girlie stuff at the Altoona mall yesterday, so we took the bike just to get a small ride in. Started out running 53 to Cresson, then dropped over the mountain on old 22. Our first stop was in Duncansville for lunch.
    DSCN3102.JPG

I've been making the occasional stop here for as long as I can remember. It's been open since 1949, so they must do something right! They added on and moved the restrooms inside since I was young, but the counter still looks the way it has forever.
    DSCN3103.JPG

It's my go-to spot for a good malted chocolate shake!
    DSCN3104.JPG

I had a dog with "sauce" as they call it. It's not quite like chili, and I can't decide if I like it or not. I've been trying to decide that for at least 40 years now!
    DSCN3106.JPG

They do breakfast and dinner fare too. Just remember to take cash if you stop in.
    DSCN3107.JPG

We went to the mall next. I sat on a bench while my wife did whatever it is wimmen do in malls. With her shopping done we started heading north on 36, but I got distracted by an historical marker.
    DSCN3108.JPG

I had to loop around a couple blocks after some false starts, but I found the mansion (from 36n, just make the left at this marker and you run right into it).
    DSCN3112.JPG
    B10Dave, MickeyDee and NurseBill like this.
  13. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found this cool old stone store building, also along 36
    DSCN3110.JPG

Another marker
    DSCN3109.JPG

the furnace is behind the store.
    DSCN3114.JPG

We rode to the entrance side of the Baker mansion, but the Blair co Historical Society that's in it now closes at 4. I decided to start towards home. We traveled over to rte. 764, where I got this shot of The Knickerbocker hotel.
    DSCN3117.JPG

I always thought it was cool looking. Since I'd never been behind it I made a turn and started to explore. Holy heck! I never imagined the complex was THIS large!
    DSCN3119.JPG

There's a couple blocks worth of townhouses!
    DSCN3120.JPG

Wikipedia says it was built between 1903-1930 as affordable workers housing. I had read somewhere else in the past, that the whole complex was designed to be it's own little community, with shops, tavern, theatre, the whole shebang. The initial investors went bust though, and the project was never finished to design. However the story unfolded, I'm glad it's all still there now.
  14. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    After looping around the Knickerbocker I again headed home. My wife wanted to stop again here, so we did.
    DSCN3122.JPG

We were going to walk up the stairs to the viewing area, but they charge $8 a head to go watch. Sorry, that's a bit much for me, we didn't spring for that. As we were heading back to the bike a train horn sounded, a westbound freighter. We watched it round the bend from the parking lot, then mounted up to race it to the top of the mountain. Naturally I start out by catching the light.
    DSCN3121.JPG

Then I missed my turn in Tunnel Hill. No problem though, we still beat the train to the top.
    DSCN3154.JPG

Got some pictures of the engines coming out of the tube.
    DSCN3137.JPG

Then we went to look at the caboose display. When I was here in the past I didn't check it out.
    DSCN3142.JPG

A pic looking inside from the one end.
    DSCN3150.JPG

I really liked this PRR coal cookstove!
    DSCN3153.JPG
  15. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    We hopped back on the bike, found our way to rte. 53 and continued toward home. I made a detour to go see the "world famous railroad overlook" in Cassandra. This is the tunnel entering town.
    DSCN3155.JPG

Follow the signs to the parking area. When we got there we talked to a couple other riders who were out on antique Harleys. A 2-toned panhead and an early shovel. Pretty bikes, but I didn't get a pic of them.
    DSCN3156.JPG

The world famous overlook appears to be an old iron rail bridge with a cemented deck. There must have been an old spur that crossed over the main line here. Here's the western view. It must stretch arrow-straight for 4-5 miles!
    DSCN3159.JPG

A fellow waiting there said an Amtrack would be along shortly, so we waited to see it.
    DSCN3162.JPG

A few minutes after that a freighter pulling garbage trundled by.
    DSCN3166.JPG

We suited back up and continued home.
    DSCN3170.JPG

I stopped again and filled up the tank, then put the bike back in the barn. We made a nice easy 70 mile loop, and got to see some history and some trains. Nice afternoon!
    scootac, B10Dave, Wkendwrench and 2 others like this.