1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Sportstour in the Alleghenies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by c1skout, Apr 30, 2016.

1. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    No excuses this time, I just went for a ride. My Nephew told me to "stop over", so I headed his way and he joined me. We stopped in Windber so he could fill his tank, then we headed east on 56.
    Here's the view going down Pleasantville mtn.
    DSCN3264.JPG
    We tried running some small roads towards Bedford, but twice got Detoured for road construction projects. Eventually we made it back out onto US30, then turned onto Upper Snake Spring road.
    Nice view of the ridge as you head north-ish.
    DSCN3267.JPG
    We rode past a lemonade stand, beeped at the children running it, then made a U-turn and went back. I figured they couldn't be getting much business on that lonely road, and their parents confirmed that thought. I got the regular and my Nephew chose pink.
    DSCN3268.JPG

Here's the view from the lemonade stand. We had our drinks then turned our empty cups back in for disposal. There were a couple more cars that stopped before we pulled out, but I think they were friends or relatives, the way they pulled right in and parked in the driveway.
    DSCN3270.JPG
    I think this next pic is closer to Loysburg…… not certain. Nice scenery regardless.
    DSCN3271.JPG
    From Loysburg we headed south on 36, then north on 26, then took a turn toward Cypher. Here's a steel bridge crossing the Juniata river.
    DSCN3272.JPG

I was searching for a road in this area that I was on years ago. It had a nice view of the river below. Thing is, I don't remember if I saw that view in the summer or winter. Or even if the road was paved.
  2. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guessed my way to Bowser Farm rd. I think this is the one I was remembering. Nice farm view in the river valley.
    DSCN3274.JPG
    We gained some elevation and then the road turned to gravel. Somebody doesn't like to run his shiny Monster far on gravel, so we stopped for a discussion and decided to turn around. I took this pic as my Nephew led the way to a wide spot.
    DSCN3275.JPG
    we stopped at the wide spot, had a snack and BS'd a bit before heading out the way we'd come. I'll have to come back and explore some more. This may be the road I was thinking of, but I'm not certain. Good enough excuse for another ride.

I took some "new to me" roads after Cypher. Here's a landscape from one of them.
    DSCN3282.JPG
    We blundered past Halls Mill covered bridge, then spun around for a picture. Don't think I've seen this one before, but I've been in the area plenty in the past.

DSCN3284.JPG
    I got us back out to 26, then south to 36, on up to 869 to head back toward home. Here's a farmscape from the New Enterprise area. The wind was HOWLING through this valley today.

DSCN3288.JPG
    Closer to home on 869 we stopped at the men's room along Bobs creek.

DSCN3293.JPG
    Our last stop was at a local tasty-freeze for an ice cream. I got a twist.
    DSCN3294.JPG

That's all for today. Mid 70's, cloudy, only a couple drops of rain. Made a nice little loop, got about 125 miles in. I think I've got some gunk in the Enfield's carb, it's got a part-throttle stumble that seemed to get worse through the day. I'll yank that apart this week and see.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great part of PA!
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics of a nice ride. Thanks for taking us along.
  5. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!!
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The grass needed cut again, but when my Mrs. suggested that we go for a ride, well, I figured the grass could wait.
    DSCN3584.JPG

When she asked where I was thinking of going I told her there was a "tag" from the PA center state tag game just waiting for somebody to move it. "Gonna be a buncha highway though, or we won't have time to get it". I showed her the spot on a map, and she said OK. So at 10:30 Sunday morning we're off to Shunk, PA.

219 north to 22 east. Here's a shot heading down towards Altoona.
    DSCN3587.JPG

22 runs us to I-99 north, then we exit north of Tyrone and run old 220 up to I-80. Here's a pic of my "front door" passing some other trucks on I-80. That guy was moving smartly along, so I just paced along behind him for the 10 miles or so until we hit our exit. So long, Eastbound, nice riding with you!
    DSCN3589.JPG

At I-80 exit 173 we took 64 north to US220 again, all the way to Williamsport.

DSCN3596.JPG

Next road is US15 north. I know, they all look the same..... but the distant hills keep changing. 15 through here really IS a scenic ride. Bet it's nice when the leaves are changing.
    DSCN3600.JPG

We jumped off 15 and onto PA14. There was a convenience store right at this exit, so I stopped and filled the tank, then grabbed some cold drinks for our picnic lunch.
    DSCN3604.JPG

We like to find parks to picnic in, and happily one was visible from the rte 14 exit ramp. Trout Run park, according to the signs.
    I rode the whole way around the park. There's an area right along Lycoming Creek with some parking for fishing (and swimming, judging by the people in the water) access. The only empty table we saw was at the pavilion in this pic. And yep, there were already bikers there.
    DSCN3606.JPG

We carried our picnic basket over and sat down to eat. The other bikers were nice. They were from New York state and had been down here racing mountain bikes in Port Jervis. I'm not up on bicycle racing etiquette, so I didn't ask if they'd won.
    B10Dave, NurseBill, TownPump and 4 others like this.
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back on the road and 14 takes us to Grover rd, then onto PA154. This is more like it! Hills and twisties.
    DSCN3608.JPG

154 dumps us right at the spot I needed for the tag game. Here's my pic from that.
    DSCN3609.JPG

We left the tag on SR4005. Can you spot the small deer crossing the road? It's the blurry brown spot in my lane.
    DSCN3610.JPG

A bit of scenery. Nice area up here.
    DSCN3611.JPG

4005 took us back to 154, then we started backtracking. Here's a cool old barn, I think this was along 14.
    DSCN3613.JPG

Some fresh tar-n-chip on 14 too!
    DSCN3614.JPG

More scenery. When I see hills like this I just want to climb up them, but then I remember that I'm not 16 anymore.
    DSCN3616.JPG
    B10Dave, MickeyDee, NurseBill and 5 others like this.
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. It's HOT out now. Like 90! The temps were decent most of the day, but after 2 it just started baking. We backtracked down 14 and 15 to 220, then 64 to Lamar. We stopped at a truckstop for some fuel, cold drinks, and to soak up some AC! When we were cooled down we headed south again. I stayed on 64 down to near Bellefonte, then started slabbing again on I-99.
    DSCN3620.JPG

We're heading for Bedford now, so it's a straight shot on the boring road.
    DSCN3621.JPG

I got a shadow pic.
    DSCN3623.JPG

the view to the west,
    DSCN3624.JPG

and another to the east.
    DSCN3626.JPG

we looped into town, then headed to Bedford Springs, my choice of a spot to drop the tag.
    DSCN3633.JPG

I'd never noticed this Museum in town before. They weren't open, so I still don't know what a Coverlet is. Another time.
    DSCN3634.JPG
    B10Dave, MickeyDee, NurseBill and 5 others like this.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This cluster of old tombstones in a church yard caught my eye too, so we stopped and walked around the cemetery a bit.
    DSCN3636.JPG

DSCN3637.JPG

DSCN3638.JPG

DSCN3639.JPG

There was even a Revolutionary soldier buried there. A lot of the stones were too weathered to read. After a bit of walking to stretch our legs we headed for supper. There's a decent diner right handy to the Turnpike entrance. We'd happily eaten there before and weren't disappointed today either. I had a well done ground sirloin steak, but skipped the homemade pie selection.
    DSCN3640.JPG

After supper I topped up the bike at Sheetz, and we headed west on 56 towards home.

DSCN3642.JPG

56 to 219, then surface streets back home. Got there just before full dark.
    403 miles total.
    MCGMB, B10Dave, MickeyDee and 4 others like this.
  10. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    hows that old belt holding up?
  11. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey VI, Glad to hear from you!
    So far-so good. I recently gave it a good inspection when I put new tires on and it still looks fine.

But now I think my ignition module is on its last legs. I'm starting to get the "hard start when warm" that the last one did before I replaced it.
    villageidiot likes this.
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey right on, glad to see ya out enjoying your bike!
    c1skout and JRowland like this.
  13. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    You were about 5 miles from me when you stopped at the truckstop in Lamar.
    Glad you enjoyed the area around the tag!
    c1skout likes this.
  14. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Bedford Diner. My wife and I ate lunch there when we went to the Bedford County Fair a few years back, and I stopped there on my way home from my Rt 220 tour (Link: http://www.ridingwv.com/FolderStreetReports/Rt220PA2016.htm ) near the end.

Nice ride report! Thanks for taking us along.
    c1skout likes this.
  15. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love Bedford Springs, we’ve stayed there a few times even though it wasn’t super far from what used to be home (Beaver).
    c1skout likes this.
  16. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got to run around a bit today.
    A fellow who I talk to at work had told me about a festival-thingy going on today. I didn't have anything on the schedule so I elected to check it out.
    I invited the Mrs. along, but she said she had things that she wanted to do at home. Okey Doke. Solo ride.
    I left home on 219N, then got off at New Germany and made a left then a right, just aiming at roads that I don't remember.
    Hmmm, this one turns to dirt.

DSCN3645.JPG

It was a fine, gravel surface. Better than the torn up asphalt that preceded it.
    I saw 2 fields of whatever this stuff is. It's around knee high, with white flowers. Anybody recognize it?
    DSCN3643.JPG

some more dirty pics.
    DSCN3647.JPG

DSCN3648.JPG

I popped out onto a road that I knew, made a left and then stopped at the Martins truckstop in Ebensburg for some fuel. I'll have to go back and buzz around that area some more. I really didn't know those roads were there, just a few miles from home, too!
    See my dirty tire?
    DSCN3649.JPG

I next got on 22west, figured I'd jump over the next 2 ridges, then start bumbling around. Here's the northern view from near the top of Chickoree Mt.
    DSCN3651.JPG

I stayed on 22 to almost New Alexandria, then made a right and headed for Saltsburg. Here's a pic from my crossing of the Kiskiminetas river. Funny bit of trivia on that river name. It seems that researchers can't decide where the name comes from, even if it's a version of an Indian name or not..... some claim it means "plenty of walnuts". I vote for that, just because it made me smile!
    DSCN3653.JPG
    JRowland, B10Dave and NurseBill like this.
  17. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of like how Shamokin in Northumberland is a derivative of an Algonquian word meaning " place of eels"
  18. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Saltsburg I kept guessing my way north-west on small roads. This is nice country, roller hills through woods and farmland.
    DSCN3654.JPG

I noticed this string of cows moving at a trot through the field. Must be feeding time!
    DSCN3655.JPG

There's a nice view here. Yeah, those clouds were dropping some rain, just sprinkles though.
    DSCN3658.JPG

I made it to downtown Apollo. Everytime I go through here I want to stop and look around. I think they may have some interesting history. Some day I'll have to make a special trip.
    DSCN3659.JPG

I made a left in Apollo and started heading south. I always like when the road goes around an old barn.
    DSCN3662.JPG

I went as south as route 22, headed west for a few miles, then took 66north to the old William Penn highway. That road got me to Export. I think this is the biggest photo I've ever seen!
    DSCN3666.JPG

Here's a pic of my $5 parking spot. The proceeds were going to charity, an Export trail? I couldn't hear well through my helmet and earplugs.
    DSCN3665.JPG
    JRowland and B10Dave like this.
  19. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were a few old bikes there.
    DSCN3670.JPG

DSCN3668.JPG

DSCN3669.JPG

I walked back and forth through town, then decided on a burger for lunch. Fresh-cut fries.
    DSCN3673.JPG

My lunch music was provided by this 4 piece jazz band. Sorry, the speaker stack is hiding the guitarist and drummer.
    DSCN3677.JPG

A couple of WW2 era planes did some flyovers. Aircraft spotters, is this a P-47?
    DSCN3676.JPG

How about this twin engine job? B-25?
    DSCN3674.JPG

Whatever models they were...… they sounded sweeet!
    JRowland, MCGMB and B10Dave like this.
  20. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    After I finished eating I bumped into the guy from work and a friend of his. We BS'd for a while, then I headed back home. I'd been wanting to catch a pic of my speedo at 50,000 and knew I was getting close. I missed it by THIS much. oops. I normally run with the "trip" showing.
    DSCN3678.JPG

I slabbed it home for supper. 22 east to 219 south.
    DSCN3679.JPG

That's it. I run about 150 miles. Made for a nice afternoon.