1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Sportstour in the Alleghenies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by c1skout, Apr 30, 2016.

1. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, yeah!
    But I'd rather see plenty of walnuts, eels give me the heebie-jeebies! :D
    NurseBill likes this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not feeding time for the cows. They were already in a pasture. Likely heading for the water trough. Nice pics and I can't help on the aircraft identification.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    That knee-high field of stuff with white flowers....looks like buckwheat.
  4. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mmmmmm, Buckwheat pancakes! :dukegirl

Thanks. Don't remember ever seeing it around before.
    JRowland likes this.
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I woke up Saturday morning, had breakfast, then part-way through my second cup of coffee decided to go camping. My wife said she'd go too, so we packed the essentials and hit the road before lunch. I had a destination in mind that was pretty close, just 150 miles or so from home, so this will be a short trip. I took 219 north from home, then 22 east to Altoona, then old 220 to Tyrone. 453 is a nice route from there, shooting the gap toward the south.
    DSCN3701.JPG

I made another turn onto 45 east. That's almost it for turns!
    DSCN3703.JPG

DSCN3704.JPG

I like these little Asian market mini-pickups!
    DSCN3709.JPG

Passed a round barn. A quick Google search says this is the Neff round barn. Built around 1910. 88ft diameter, 56ft tall. It has 2 floors and a conical roof.
    DSCN3712.JPG

I had to loop back around for a pic of this old variety store.
    DSCN3714.JPG

Aaronsburg is a pretty old town that I didn't get any good pics in. This blue marker was on the east side of town.
    DSCN3717.JPG
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't been this far east on 45 before, so I was glad I took this route. Between towns this is what it (mostly) looks like. Straight, rolling farmland.
    DSCN3719.JPG

DSCN3720.JPG

I stopped for another blue sign.
    DSCN3726.JPG

Nice old Dodge window-van.
    DSCN3728.JPG

After Lewisburg we crossed over the Susquehanna river, then made a right onto 405 south.
    DSCN3730.JPG

This was my destination for the night. Got there in the late afternoon.
    DSCN3736.JPG

We set up the tent and then went to explore the grounds a bit.
    DSCN3735.JPG

Next up, we rode back across the river to Lewisburg. We parked on the main drag then walked around town. Bucknell university is right here, so there were plenty of food choices. We ended up just picking the best smelling place for supper. Brendan's Town Tavern, I got a cheesesteak, the Mrs. picked a burger. Not the best, but I've paid more for worse too, so I was satisfied.
    DSCN3737.JPG

With supper finished we rode around town a bit, checked out the campus, then headed back to the campground around dark. They have a "community" fire ring there, so we walked up and sat to have a visit with other campers and the campground owners. May have even had an adult beverage while we talked. I really enjoyed myself there, the group made everybody feel welcome and we all chatted like old friends.

A bit more about the campground itself.... The facilities are nothing fancy, you can tell the owners do what they can, by themselves and on a shoestring budget. I can respect that! I even APPLAUD it! Especially since they could surely rent out the spots along the river more profitably to big money RV owners or seasonal camper parkers. $10 a head for a tent spot for the night, and I didn't have to build my own fire? I'll take that every time! I don't remember who's thread I first read about this camping spot on, but I'm happy I went to check it out myself.
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the morning we started off with some oats and a coffee. We then got the bike packed up to go.
    DSCN3742.JPG

I decided to head north-east some more. First stop of the day is at this blue sign.
    DSCN3743.JPG

I snapped a pic of this old Dodge firetruck, but I don't remember where it was. We ran 45, 147, 118, 29, 6, 92, and 11. I need to keep notes I guess.
    DSCN3745.JPG

What looked like fog turned into rain as we climbed higher in the hills. Just enough to wet my legs, nothing much more than that.
    DSCN3749.JPG

I had to stop at this car lot for a shot of all these Capri's. 4 of them, all with hardtops, 3 were XR2's. The 4th one is hard to spot in that pic, you can just see the side of one headlight sticking up on the far left.
    DSCN3750.JPG

This is just a fall color pic.
    DSCN3755.JPG

I got to follow (at a prudent distance) this fifth-wheel camper for a couple miles! Looks like an episode of "Top Gear"!
    DSCN3760.JPG
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    And then I finally got to here.
    DSCN3763.JPG

DSCN3769.JPG

DSCN3771.JPG

DSCN3772.JPG

This is an impressive bridge. We sat and had a picnic snack and just looked at it for a while. The bad part was that I found out there are 2 more viaducts up north-easter yet. And the first macadamed road. Suppose Ill have to make another trip. Now I needed to get headed home, so I could get there before dark. Back south to US6 west, then 87 to old 220.
    DSCN3778.JPG

We made a quick stop at a scenic overlook on 220
    DSCN3784.JPG

More fall color.
    DSCN3786.JPG

We stopped for a quick Denny's meal in Williamsport, then stayed on old 220 to Altoona, then took the big road up to Cresson, then 53 back toward home. Here's a barn near Summerhill.
    DSCN3793.JPG

And that's all. Made the whole loop in 471 miles.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. You have more tree colour than us. Just barely starting to turn here. That viaduct is on my list when the border is open again.
    NurseBill likes this.
  10. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like Dave, we also thank you for the pics and the viaduct info. When heading west, we often Rt. 6 across PA and the viaduct isn't too far off that route.
  11. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, winter's basically here now, they've been salting the roads already. I had a chance today to get my bikes put up for the big sleep. Just over 40 degrees and sunny this morning, so I dumped some Sta-bil in and went out to top up the tanks. I started with the Sportster, just ran to the second closest gas station then back home. Gave it a quick wash and put it in the shed. No pics.
    I decided to take the Enfield for a little ride since the weather was decent. I rode out past Portage then headed toward Beaverdale mountain on the gameland road.
    DSCN3821.JPG

This wooden bridge is along the route.
    DSCN3822.JPG

The road to the left ends at a gate that doesn't get opened for travel. I went straight here.
    DSCN3823.JPG

At route 869 I went straight across to this intersection. Both of these end at gates, but I ran each today just to be sure nothing had changed. The road to the left had a section with clay mud churned up about an inch deep in the tire tracks. That's not much, but it's more than my half gone K70 steer tire can deal with. I had a few exciting moments coming back downhill.
    DSCN3824.JPG

I got back out to 869 and headed toward home. I stopped for a pic at the Beaverdam reservoir boat launch.
    DSCN3828.JPG

From Sidman I took a couple other "no winter maintenance" township roads toward home. Topper road then Water Dam road.
    DSCN3830.JPG

Back at the house I gave the Enfield a quick wash also.
    DSCN3831.JPG

I guess that wraps up my season. Might have put 30 miles on between the 2 bikes today.
    Let it snow!
  12. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been getting out much yet this year. Been pretty busy with other projects. The Mrs and I stole a Sunday afternoon recently and went for a small loop to blow the cobwebs off. We ran some back roads over toward Portage, then dropped over the mountain towards Claysburg. First stop of the day was for gas.

DSCN3844.JPG

A scenery shot heading south along old 220

DSCN3848.JPG

We hit 869 and ran up Brumbaugh Mt.
    DSCN3849.JPG

and down the other side. There's a nice twisty spot, but it doesn't last long.
    DSCN3851.JPG

At the bottom of the hill we headed left, onto 867
    DSCN3852.JPG

then right onto 868
    DSCN3855.JPG

then we really started moving in loops. 26 south, then some small roads, back over to 869, back over Brumbaugh the other way, south on old 220 again, then hit some more county roads over towards Fishertown. Saw this nice brick church someplace along that stretch.
    DSCN3857.JPG

We crossed over 56 and went to the Ryot covered bridge.
    DSCN3861.JPG
  13. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    GREAT! Now I'm hungry for ice cream. LOL

Looks like an early-80s Yamaha 850 shaft drive triple in the first photo.
  14. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Close, pnoman. That's a 73-74 TX500 twin. Yamaha had lots of trouble with the engine design, and dropped them quickly. Definitely looks like a 3/4 scale triple!
    pnoman likes this.
  15. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The other side of the bridge.
    DSCN3859.JPG

and it's plaque
    DSCN3860.JPG

We found ourselves running over the Ridge road, and a few others, going through the apple orchards near Schellsburg. Lots of apple trees up on these ridges!
    DSCN3862.JPG

This is Gravity Hill, off of rte96. The picture doesn't REALLY capture it. If you're in the area though it's worth seeking out. Sure looks like you're going uphill when you're actually going down. I'd been there in cars before, but this was my first time trying it on a bike.
    DSCN3866.JPG

After that we started climbing Shaffer mountain. Pretty sunlight filtering through the leaves.
    DSCN3867.JPG

Here's a view looking back towards Bedford, from Shaffer Mt rd.
    DSCN3868.JPG

I accidentally had to go back down, make a loop and ride up again. There's like 29 curves in 2.5 miles on this stretch of road. Probably one of the twistiest in the area.
    DSCN3870.JPG
  16. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hooked a right at the top of the mountain. I'd been across here in the past, during hunting season, but I couldn't remember what the road was like. The pavement quickly ended, then it turned into dirt-gravel.
    DSCN3871.JPG

And then it got bad, at least for me. 3-4 inches deep of #2 stone that was freshly laid down, and with barely any tracks in it. 2-up on street tires and it felt like they were both flat! I debated whether or not to have the wife get off and walk a bit, but pretty soon I made a left turn and got off the fresh stone, back to a harder surface. Hard to tell in my next blurry pic, but these trees were all black. Took a while for me to realize that they must have done a "controlled burn" in this area in the last year or so, to clear the understory out.
    DSCN3872.JPG

We stopped here at Shade creek to stretch our legs a bit.
    DSCN3874.JPG

The bike has a pretty good coat of gravel dust now.
    DSCN3876.JPG

I zoomed in on this palamino trout, trying to in the creek.
    DSCN3877.JPG

We hopped back on and headed out to cross rte56, then down into Windber. They've painted some new murals in town.
    DSCN3878.JPG

DSCN3879.JPG

I topped the tank at Sheetz, then we left Windber on more backroads toward home. I cracked a cold-one and washed the bike before putting it away. Nice little ride. We ran just under 150 miles, either through farmland or trees. Good day!
  17. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Nice photos. I bought a used V-Strom at the Triumph dealer in Windber back around 2010. Lots of nice riding in that area.
  18. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my Enfield, and my BMW from them! Good people, but they closed the dealership a couple years ago.
  19. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice to see the cobwebs dusted off after winter, beautiful scenery back there for sure!
    JRowland likes this.
  20. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks VI. Yeah it's nice out here, but you need to look in between all the ugly bits to see it. I think a lot of people have trouble doing that, they just see the leftover damage from years of virtually unrestricted industry and mining.
    B10Dave and villageidiot like this.