Spot 3 versus Delorme Inreach

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by DennisK_ID, Apr 14, 2014.

1. W-Gator

W-Gator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ArticRider,
    Check your PM. Sounds like a justification that would help me at work.
    Gator
  2. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will I think I need one. Maybe the InReach is the way to go. I ride alone in some remote ares at times. No one would know where to look if something would happen. When I take the Alaska trip this will be a must.:deal
  3. Yroc

Yroc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got the old InReach 1.5 (no display). Does anyone know if the preset message that sends a link to my location will use up a location point, ie will I be charged for using the 'free unlimited preset messaging'?
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, you are not charged for sending preset messages.
  5. Yroc

Yroc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, it looks like it does not. I can see what I'm charged for on my account page, but didn't know how often it was updated. So I send a message that I would be charged for and it did show up a couple minutes later.

So I'm stoked to be able to send unlimited location points (manually) for $12 a month and then I have all the 2 way texting ability and tracking in an emergency!!
  6. ArcticRider

ArcticRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apologies if I am mis-understanding your post but you may want to read the DeLorme website page that describes avaialble Service Plans because no plan offers unlimited "pings" for $12/month:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

The only $12/month plan is an annual basic plan called the "Safety Plan" and it allows only 10 free messages (after that they are 50 cents each) and there are no free "location point" (pings)--they each cost 10 cents.

The Plan that offers what you suggest above is the Expedition Plan at $50/month (based on annual contract) or $75/month based on Freedom Monthly Plan. (Not including taxes of about +10%).

Hopefully this info will help you avoid getting knocked over when your first bill arrives :deal
  7. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    ArcticRider, you must have misunderstood the question because he can get just what he wants with the "Safety Plan".

It allows him Unlimited Preset Messages/mo. Each Message sent has a Lat/Lon in it. So, he can manually send out preset Messages and have his addressees follow where he is. No need for Tracking or Location Ping's from his MapShare.
  8. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    OK. I only have first hand knowledge of the Enterprise Plan since we have several crews using these devices and we have every "bell & whistle" option.

It would not be practical for us to have to "cut & paste" a Lat/Long from a message into a mapping software just to save a dime but I can appreciate the budget constraints of solo riders.

BTW, here is a decent video instruction for other convicts just getting started:

http://avoidingchores.com/delorme-inreach-explorer-send-2-way-messages/

Cheers
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    No, I was not saying MapShare points (Tracking points) were free. I was saying that when I used the Safety Plan last year, Preset Messages did contain a Lat/Lon. IF, you wanted the Preset Message to post a MapShare point THEN you would pay the $0.10/tracking point.

That is the way the plan was last year. I have now upgraded to the Recreational Plan so I cannot confirm if Delorme has stripped out the Lat/Lon from Preset Messages for the Safety Plan.
  10. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am waiting what the Spot 4 brings as I find myself upgrading about every other Tech upgrade cycle for many things. The SPOT guy at the booth at Long Beach in December said the FOUR would have two way messaging (whatever that means to them).

No release date of course and no details yet but I can wait as my TWO is still purring.
  11. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that for the new inReach Safety Plan ($12/mo), Preset Messages (both SMS & eMail) do include Lat/Lon and a link to the Delorme Map showing the senders location.
  12. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    That's really great for that price. Thanks for following up.

Out of curiousity, how many decimal places does it carry the seconds out to?

Cheers
  13. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Depends, but usually I see 5 or 6.
  14. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. 2WheeledFaith

2WheeledFaith Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks ArcticRider for helping me decide which tracker to buy.
    I just bought the InReach SE for an upcoming trip with a friend from Southern Cal to Prudhoe.
    Your experience living there brings the credibility a commissioned salesman just can't compete with.
    Got mine at REI and will use the $50 Delorme rebate. That combined with the $30 REI rewards credit I get made it a no brainer for me. Also picked up some air miles on my Alaska Visa card.
  17. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both. Just got the InReach for smartphones. I love it. It's beats spot in every regard excet price and form factor.

Sadly, as a spot lover...their days are done unless they really pickup their game with Gen4 and I would say that means go Iridium and go two way.

InReach is heaps faster. Two way is super duper, especially when linked to your smartphone. I've found the Bluetooth link to be very reliable and resilient. Inreach, with Iridium is killer good and doesn't miss track points like spot does, occasionally. The InReach is so good no real need to even use tracking, just do 'check in' messages when you arrive somewhere and let people 'ping' you to get your location if they want.

Spot going on eBay sadly.. I love its size, but InReach kills it in every other way.
  18. TeSmSp

TeSmSp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the inReach Explorer (orange and black unit). I purchased it for my son who is now doing the John Muir Trail. Prior to that, we tested it in Catalina Island and a trip I made to Europe. I "forgot" to turn the unit off and even from inside the plane, it was able to communicate with the Iridium network and log a bunch of high speed track points.

I am very pleased with the performance so far. The website is kind of slow at times, but overall - efficient. The lag for text messages to arrive is between 15 to 20 minutes.

He is in day 19th of a total of 26 doing the Muir trail. Most of his messages are "I miss home" and "Please put money in my credit card so we can eat pizza" at the resupply points.

Kids these days. :rofl:rofl:rofl
    delux2769 and Linhares like this.
  19. BBJIdaho

BBJIdaho BBJADV

Oddometer:
    I have the inReach SE and until this year, I didn't give it much attention until I needed it...twice! The inReach is absolutely the only choice for me. We had a mechanical breakdown 50 miles off the highway and away from anywhere. I was able to use the inReach (paired it with my smart phone) and give very specific directions as to what I needed. The second incident was an accident with my riding buddy and I was able to communicate to our spouses as to what we need and what hospital my buddy's wife needed to get to. All of my riding is in rural Idaho and cell service in the back country is non-existant. I am a BIG fan of the inReach for the text abilities and would tell anyone to buy it. Regarding the inReach Explorer, that will allow for you to import your gps tracks to the mapshare site, this will allow those following you to see if your on track or not. A feature I wish I had with the SE.
  20. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    MODS: ANY CHANCE OF MOVING THIS TO THE NEW THREAD I JUST CREATED ON THE DELORME INREACH MODELS?