Spot 3 versus Delorme Inreach

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by DennisK_ID, Apr 14, 2014.

1. David Morrow

David Morrow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is not my experience at all. That is simply wrong based on my experience. I have been to Yellowknife, NWT, Inuvik and Alaska, and through the Northwest passage by ship. I used my Spot on all three trips. Coverage was flawless on all occasions.

One example :
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2b544dc0aa07c529e
  2. ArcticRider

ArcticRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry Amigo but you can't argue with facts and the facts are made abundantly clear if you research the types of Satellite orbits of the two devices.

I have 1,000's of hours in the Arctic using GPS and Communication satellite systems and literally 100's of 1,000's of manhours when all crews on our projects are considered.

You may have gotten "lucky" but please do some research before you give Inmates advice about Emergency Communication devices that are relied upon in life threatening situations.

Perhaps some of your "luck" is the result of being shipboard on the open sea and not in tree canopy or limited by geographic features. Please research GlobalStar Communication systems which is what SPOT relies on. Also research the limitations of their Gateway Ground Systems in their own literature.

Cheers
  3. David Morrow

David Morrow Adventurer

Oddometer:

I will let my Spot pings speaks for themselves. That constant stream of pings on three separate trips is not "luck".
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=61005138efb4889b6
  4. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    David,

Even a broken clock is right twice a day amigo.

But please direct your future arguments to the SPOT and GlobalStar manufacturer websites ;-)
  5. David Morrow

David Morrow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why you are so unwilling to acknowledge that these tracks from Spot are so real and consistent. Certainly more worthy than a broken clock comparison. The facts are that these are real Spot pings. I am not in love with Spot. In fact, I got here because I am looking for alternatives to Spot. This is an old version 1 Spot which I understand is even less reliable than later versions. If the pings are luck, then I'm going to mortgage the house first thing in the morning and buy a really big lottery ticket.
  6. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    I will try to make this more clear. We are discussing emergency communication devices. Wrong information can have devastating effect.

Did you actually attempt communication with your SPOT device? Or are you simply suggesting that you received positional Lat/Long locations on your SPOT device?

If the latter, then please understand that these "pings" (technically speaking they are not pings but "breadcrumbs") are the result of your SPOT device receiving data from GPS Satellites and these are not the weak points with the SPOT system. The Global Positioning System works brilliantly. The limitations of SPOT are when you attempt communication with your device because 2-way communication relies on the GlobalStar Satellite System. (Hint: this is an entirely unique sat network from GPS.) for reference, the DeLorme relies on the Iridium Communication Satellite Network.

Please go do some homework before you tell me I am wrong and mislead Inmates about emergency comm devices.
  7. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    If I read you correctly, you're suggesting his SPOT did not transmit up to or were not received by the GlobalStar satellites. Looking at his tracking, it's pretty clear his SPOT did indeed transmit up to those satellites, and the satellites relayed the position of his SPOT back down to a ground station. How else did the SPOT system know where he was at those times? Your description suggests YOU may not fully understand how the SPOT works. Those ARE what I would call pings, in that his SPOT transmitted its location and the satellite received them.

You're right that the Iridium system has better coverage than GlobalStar and SPOT. That does not mean SPOT will not work in the locations he traveled. Their coverage map clearly shows it covers those areas (see below). On the other hand it looks to me like most of his SPOT pings did not get through, as the times between those shown are far greater than the expected 10 minutes. So, it appears he got intermittent tracking (unless those are check-in messages instead of tracking messages), which is far from the "flawless" David suggests, but clearly not "useless" as you suggest. His possible poor tracking could be due to many things, including possibly poor mounting position of this SPOT. The top of one's helmet is about the only place that gives the FULL view of the sky that SPOT suggests the user provide.

In my opinion the truth is somewhere between what both of you are saying. SPOT works in that area, but not perfectly. If all I wanted was rough tracking, and to send an occasional "OK" message, it seems fine. If I want perfect tracking, and the absolute quickest response to a press of the SOS button, I'd use something else, like an inReach.

[​IMG]
    F650Dakar_Norway and far-flung like this.
  8. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    Hey Hog,

Right now I am riding around SE Asia and using an iPhone screen.

I will be glad to address your message and ALL others when I get to a computer. Meanwhile, I request that you and the other guy really get your facts straight before telling ne I am wrong. Now you can tell me your experience is different all you like and thats great and we can have a discussion but when you start out your posts accusing me of being wrong then I am going to be short on patience ;-)

I really don't see how you can be arguing with what is pretty basic. Please look at the satellite orbits for GlobalStar and the orbits for Iridium. Do you see how the orbits for Iridium travel from Pole-to-Pole? Does that suggest anything to you?

I don't really care what device you want to use but when I am looking for a communication device then I want one that has the greatest chance of working in an emergency situation but thats just me.

Cheers
  9. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    Hog,

Furthermore, it appears you have misquoted me in order to make a straw argument.

When I used the term "useless" to describe the SPOT device, it was quite clear that I was describing its use in the "high arctic" and you misrepresent my statement when you counterpose it against the guy who didn't get any further north than Inuvik.

Additionally, looking at his timestamps, it is not possible to determine how good his reception was or was not without additional information (i.e. What interval was his device set to record positional data AND was his device ON the entire time he was north of the Arctic Circle, etc).
  10. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I reread your post and I'll accept that I did not fully consider the "arctic circle" portion. The SPOT coverage map shows coverage for only maybe half the arctic circle at best. David was reporting his own experiences for the regions he traveled, which clearly show his SPOT worked there, albeit apparently not great. On the other hand, your suggestion that his tracking was only "luck", and "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" are a bit off-base. He never said or even implied it was the BEST device to use for life saving situations in the far northern portions of the arctic circle. He got tracking that made him happy, and he did travel well into the arctic circle (as far as 72 degrees N) and his SPOT did work there (as the SPOT coverage map suggests it should), so it seems it was not "useless" to him.

He said he had a SPOT 1, which has a fixed tracking period of 10 minutes (there is no option to change that). So, as you suggested, if it was turned off much of the time it could have given that apparent somewhat poor tracking result. The other possibility is that it was mounted in a poor location, not giving it a full view of the whole sky. However he is using his device, the position reporting appears about the same in Northern Canada and Alaska as it is all the way down in California and New Mexico. Clearly his SPOT unit and the associated satellites were receiving and transmitting well enough to get a lot of position messages through.
    far-flung likes this.
  11. WetCoast

WetCoast n00b

Oddometer:
    is there still a discount with gps city and how do you get it
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    In the same boat. Going to order an InReach in the next couple of weeks. Looks like Delorme models new in box are on eBay for under $300 or $400 for a new Garmin branded one. Looking for deals. Saw REI is doing a 20% off sale today but "GPS devices excluded" DOH. I'd love to get a new InReach for $300 that's new w/ a warranty.

http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/Garm...MIid6K94qu2gIVUBuBCh1sdgPFEAkYASABEgIXjvD_BwE

$302...that's pretty damn close. Any advantage to spending $100 more for the Explore if you're like me and have a Garmin and TomTom already?

Here's the old Delorme Explore for $249 from Cabellas - https://www.cabelas.com/product/DeL...VmoizCh3olgbhEAkYASABEgLDJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I may just spend the extra $50 for the Garmin branded one in case they ever decide to stop updating and supporting the old Delorme branded model.
  13. FormerOilhead

FormerOilhead Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I just bought the InReach SE off eBay for $225. Free shipping and fulfilled by GPS City.
    Every once in a while eBay runs a coupon for discounts...I snagged an additional 15%
    So that brought the price down below $200.

Joe
    AdamChandler likes this.