SPOT HELP - Regional Map

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by s1marks, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah crash and burn and get hurt in the middle of no where and it may be a challenge to find that SPOT that was mounted on a RAM mount on what was your handlebars...
  2. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although dormant for a while now, Great thread! Has there been any updates to the Spot/Garmin coverages since!? I am just now looking into getting something and am leaning towards the Garmin. Have used a few of them for hunting/hiking over the years, but now i'm planning on doing a lot of riding and would like to have the peace of mind that i can keep in touch with my wife/family and she can have the peace of mind she needs and see where i'm at! So far, Garmin Explorer+ seems to be $ well spent. :{)
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  3. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess SPOT has upped their game. The new SPOT X has the same features as the inReach including 2-way texting, but is MUCH cheaper ($200/yr versus $300/yr). It also gives you a unique US phone # so anyone with a mobile phone can text you, and vice versa. The one thing you don't get is the monthly option (it's always a year with SPOT, either month-by-month or in one discounted chunk).

See https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=666

Note: I have no relationship with SPOT except as a SPOT II owner.
  4. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the SpotX. It looks like they have added monthly plans now.
    PNW Buttercup likes this.
  5. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my InReach is about $170 per year for the basic service. I don't find all the extras worth paying for.
  6. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look into that. I think I'm paying $200 for my SPOT service.
  7. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    after hearing about 2 spots not working recently for an emergency, after contacting spot we have arranged a test for the emergency response. Ill let you know how it works!
    Westcoasthumpin and IDRIDR like this.
  8. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading about some Spot SOS button failures, I am a little concerned about my little orange friend. I have a Gen 3.

I did the SOS button test that is described on the Spot website. My Spot checks out.

Has anyone done an actual test?
  9. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    I came across an Free App for my phone this week that struck me as being incredibly useful for us Adventure Motorcycling nuts.

The application is called “what3words”, basically it divides the world up into 3 Meter X 3 Meter squares and assigns each square a unique combination of words. So, instead of using latitude and longitude you can describe your location by the 3 words assigned to it.

For example the Chimney Rock camp-out on crooked river is at location ‘backpack post underwater’.

So why is that useful to us and why am I posting about it in this thread?

1. Well the easy answer is “I can remember it” and my risk of transposing it is a lot less than if you give me the coordinates of 44.137519,-120.816257. Heck I can’t even know I typed in those latitude and longitude numbers into my GPS accurately without having checked it 6 times!
    2. If your buddy is seriously injured on the trail and you have to go off and phone for help because you are out of cell range, you can provide his 3 word location to rescue authorities. Again easy to remember
    3. If you are on a gravel road in the middle of the Tillamook forest and you have broken down, describing to your wife with the truck exactly where you are is a lot easier with what3words (you’ll still get cussed out by said wife for not being home in time for tea – no application in the world can stop that).

Thought I would share. If there is sufficient interest I’ll talk with Scott-PDX and see if we can start getting what3words locations posted in calendar of events. More than once I have found it a little harder than it should have been to locate exactly where you FF’s have setup camp (there could be other reasons for that!).

BTW: I am not affiliated with this App in anyway, just seems like a really good idea.
    eric n, SCExpat, dowdell and 6 others like this.
  10. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with Spot customer support.

I noticed that I was being billed for 24.95 per month. The Spot website lists the basic plan at 11.95.

The representative said it was new rates as of Wednesday. (Not sure I totally believe him) He adjusted my plan.

So if you are paying more than 11.95 + tax for the basic plan, make sure to call. As of now, they are not changing the plans automatically.
    SCExpat likes this.
  11. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. Just checked the site and looks like they will charge me a $24.95 downgrade fee plus a $19.95 activation fee????? Thinking of canceling and then switching but there is probably a cancellation fee. The tracking points @ 0.10 each every 10 minutes may end up costing the same as the $24.95 plan depending on how much you use it.... I do like the tracking feature so if by chance I am not able to get to or use the tracker someone knows I have not moved for much longer than usual and may need help. Too many variables to figure out the best (cheapest) plan for my non mathematical mind.....or is that mathematical challenged? ;)

"Safety Plan Details

• Unlimited SOS
    • 10 text messages/month
    • Unlimited Preset messages (predefined messages set up on the website)
    • Tracking points: $0.10 USD for each point
    • Overages are $0.50 USD for each text message over the 10 messages allowed in the monthly plan period.
    • Text messages include free-form sent messages and received messages.
    • Tracking points refer to the individual "breadcrumbs" sent by the inReach at user-selected intervals ranging from 10 minutes to 4 hours.

Annual or Contract Plan Commitment

You can change plans. Downgrading to a lower plan will incur a $24.95 USD fee.

One-time $19.95 USD subscription activation fee.

When the Annual or Contract plan commitment is met, you can cancel service at any time for no fee (otherwise, the remainder of the year's service is due on cancellation). Service will otherwise continue at the current monthly rate."
  12. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    I have a Gen 3 with the basic plan.
  13. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    The what3words app should catch on if only for a novelty. I can tell everyone to come by "pitiful tightrope desired" or one of the other squares on my lot in Pierce, Id. Much easier than lat lon and I know I have several interesting combinations on my property