1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SPOT Owners Beware: 911 alerted, with a all day no show!!!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by rhinoeater, Dec 1, 2010.

1. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    Two things...

this thread has taken on a wierd life. I went back and clicked on "show only the op's posts" and there aint much. Its hard to follow even without the chatter. So, I am gonna give up on trying to understand what exactly his point is.

but more importantly... I had planned to ride the Pac Coast next year. But i think LA B to V will be my moto vacation instead.:clap

so, great thread.
  2. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:

well something good came out of all of this :lol3
  3. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    .... and dont forget to bring a SPOT.

:dunno
  4. gearheart

gearheart Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer:
    WOW, I can't believe this thread is still going on but it sounds like it is finally getting wrapped up!

I hope to see everybody at LA,B2V 2011! Rhinoeater will no doubt be feeling better by then and ready to charge. I know I will be back, it was POSITIVELY the most fun two days on a bike I have had this year! :deal

Mike
  5. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    Retribution? For what?

I'm not sure what you mean by the biggest issue? Are you implying that there were SAR assets deployed and they couldn't locate Rhinoeater?

SPoT continues to report when you move. The 911 reports continue until canceled or the unit is turned off.

What are you basing this on?

His first 911 report was received at 10:56 local time and the unit continued to send 911 reports until 14:13 local. That last report had no GPS data, I would guess because he was in a vehicle at that point and had obstructed the GPS antenna from clear view of the sky. The report prior to that was at 14:05 local and was in Baker, CA. All total there were 23 911 reports received from his unit over the three hour and seventeen minute period. That averages out to a 911 report being received every 8 minutes. There is no evidence that he ever canceled his 911 activation.

I'm not sure what you meant by this and I don't want to take your comment out of context. I will say this, that was probably one of the WORST things he could have done at that point. SBCFD has a station in Baker and I assume that they have Advanced Life Support(ALS) equipment and personnel. He would have begun receiving first rate trauma care immediately.

The sooner you enter the EMS system, the higher your chances of survival.
  6. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill I'm glad you got help it was an unorthodox way we would like. And some where you got lost on the chain of things we expect but you are home alive and I'm glad you didn't quit many people have. The BLM douche well you have to understand this is an 8 dollar an hour guy/girl but when you made it to the first hospital they knew you needed a trauma unit and. They shipped you to them I could understand your frustrations at first. But now you are home alive boy see we so glad. Look people we are dealing with other people who can't see it all nobody can not all in all Bill you are home and alive. Biggins we love your avatar get well maybe next year I can do that ride
  7. Kiethco

Kiethco Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's what I'm talkin' about! Now I'm working the International Motorcycle show this weekend in Long Beach all three days. Anyone reading this thread is invited to stop by the AMA booth and get a ride t-shirt from LA-B-to-V until they run out. I've got a dozen or so.
    None of the other Committee members know about this, they can't help you, so don't ask them, please. I grabbed a box of shirts tonight at the meeting. Just stop by the booth, say hey Kiethco, Adventure Rider! I'll throw a shirt to ya. I've got 2 sweatshirts also and a few ride license plate frames for bikes and cars.

This ride just does too much good to muck it up any longer. We wrote a check to Barstow Toys for Tots for 2400.00 dollars. Thats 240 kids that the folks went shopping for. Add the over 100 toys and bikes riders donated at the start and we make a hell of an impact. We also write checks for thousands of dollars to CORVA, Stewards of the Sequoias, Blue Ribbon Coalition to fund a new defense of a lawsuit in Bridgeport by Mammoth CA.
    Nobody working for free on this ride makes a dime, we really work for free, zip, zilch. We get paid by a slap on the back, a beer at the Reception or someone saying they had the best ride of the year on our event. We work to fund issues important to our riders and the communities that support us in our riding areas. We fight for riding opportunities all year long. I, along with our Legislative Officer go to Sacramento and Washington D.C. to make sure our voice is heard. Again, this ride funds those efforts.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys this weekend, thanks for your support of District 37 and the most widely known ride with the richest history in the world. 350 days or so till we do it all again, tighten the chin strap boys!
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

my hat's off to D37! they have a very good cause, did a fantastic job and will continue to do so. though i'm not a member, i am supportive to any organization that promotes riding, land sharing, protecting public lands, and helping the needy.

yes, i have to get up at this time and express my opinion before it heads out to a different trajectory.

there are a lot of accusations, subliminal messages, hidden agendas in people's statements. i personally feel, advrider is not the place for that. this web is for riding, sharing, helping and developiing camaraderie.

i spoke with billy last saturday and again yesterday evening. he is in no shape or form to be actively participating in this thread. he's still in pain, the bone fragments is rubbing into his organs (not sure which ones). he is way too stressed out! looks like he has to go back to the hospital for a surgery.

this is addressed to everyone: billy needs rest and time to recover. do yourselves a favor by being compassionate. give billy some slack so his body can relax and heal.

please help end this thread with a nice note!

thanks.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he meant to write "restitution"
  10. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    Keith, you are correct. LAB2V IS THEE BEST RIDE OF THE YEAR!!!

you got a slap on the back from me thanking you for another kick ass year.:freaky

Billy, heal well and heal as quick as possible and call me anytime. :D

Joel, now that's the ticket. you have a better way with words than I, and I agree with you. :thumb
  11. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    You posted 3 items about SPOT not working, but what about all the SPOT rescue stories??

Rescues/Testimonials:

Stories: (Just a few examples)

Sure, the EPIRB, PLB, and ELT's are great, but your best bet is to ride with a buddy and be prepared. Do EPIRB, PLB, and ELT's have tracking that people can follow you online??
  12. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Emerson.Biguns above is my context - I was commenting on the statement by NobodyUKnow which I didn't agree with but was explaining Bill's state of mind in driving immediately to Vegas. I'd like to think somebody on the scene waiting in Baker would have just called the local EMS in Baker or would have already had them on scene awaiting the return of the rescue team??? Just another unclear area to me but I think Billy was amped up on adrenaline and no longer acted like a "dying man" and was probably pretty vocal, and maybe nobody could get him to agree to not just take off and let his wife drive him to Vegas. dunno but Marc with a C said he was post concussive and was somewhat asymptomatic.
    I think he means retraction (for some finger pointing early on).
  13. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Yep! What he said! I've been telling you guys to cut him some slack - I don't know what Bill is like on a normal day but every day since he got home has been filled with pain and how to deal with it, and trying to get information.

Like I posted on Sunday 11/28... Show him some Adv love here brothers,

...and be thankful it wasn't YOU that was injured - it can happen to YOU regardless of your skill level or preparedness - I know - just take a look at my swingarm! I am thankful I am not a down rider today, who knows how I would behave!
  14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the worm that was eluding me when I posted "restitution" as guess for a sub for retribution.
  15. larry manton

larry manton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not read all the posts so apologize if I miss some info. I personally used my spot May of this year in Moab. Went pretty much as your's as the local 911 authorities were summoned along with my wife. After 20 minutes all conversations from that point was left up to Moab Sheriff and local search and rescue. Fixed wing cesna reconed the area 45 minutes after incident while local SR and heli flight out of Grand Junction was enroute. I can understand your anger but the sheriff and local authorities were brought on line and they dropped the ball. Please take no offense but what was Spot supposed to do?, go out and hold their hand. Once again so sorry for your misfortune but as the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and that was the local Sheriff dept. For myself I will never travel with out it as my son is hiking in the snow as we speak using it. I think all of us would be well served in extreme adventures especially riding alone to rent a Sat phone. Once again my friend you have every right to be pissed, but I feel spot is not the culprit. Hope your doing well.
  16. mooreph2

mooreph2 BARBENDER

Oddometer:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CPatrick%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CPatrick%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CPatrick%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> I am not sure where to put this, next to my goofball comment on page 21 or at the end?
    After reading “Marc with a "C" Nelissen, Commander of a search and rescue group called Rescue 3” on page 8 I retract my “IDIOT” comment. As often happens there many points of view and some more true than others.
    What I find odd is Rhinoeater does not mention any riders stopping to ask if he need help. I know when I have ridden the B to V, I would stop to check my blood sugar and eat a snack, riders would stop and ask me if I was ok and if I needed any help. I even took a little spill in the sand and a rider stopped to help me up (yes I had a riding buddy with me). Maybe I just always look like I need help.
    It is hard for me to believe no one stopped to offer assistance.
    That’s my two cents and this is my last comment.
  17. RAZR

Oddometer:
    i hear ya on that one.
    i would have riders give me the thumbs up when i was stopping to piss:lol3
  18. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He was last and his buddies left him (at his prompting, true, but still...)--there were no riders after him except for the sweep. The sweep missed him because he was not visible where he fell, and had no means to signal (and he was very hurt...).
  19. Tacman

Tacman just another guy

Oddometer:
    Just got through reading this thread. A few things I've been reminded of or thought about.

• I probably shouldn't explore alone so often:D
    • Immediately following a severe accident/emergency, you can only count on using the items attached to your body (if you're lucky enough to still be consious)
    • Never leave a riding buddy expcept if it is the only option to go get help and the victim can not be moved....even if they insist otherwise
    • The people on the emergency response list for a SPOT tracker or similiar device need to be briefed on how they should handle a notification. They need to be an obnoxious advocate on your behalf until they are SURE that emergency response is in motion and you are safe
    • People on the SPOT emergency response list should know how to convert coordinates so they can help the EMS/SAR people if they are confused
    As a helicopter pilot, I get people coming to me with all different formats of coordinates. Rather than trying to remember how to change the settings in the 4 aicraft I fly, and on my personal GPS's as well, I find it faster to just convert them with a calculator rather than change the unit's settings unless there is a long list of coordinates. So here is the quick class if you're interested. Sorry if I missed this somewhere else in the discussion and am just repeating info everyone already knows.

3 basic formats for grid coordinates

degrees/decimal degress ie. N35.7856 (apparently what SPOT uses)
    degrees/minutes/ decimal minutes ie. N35 12.4876
    degrees/minutes/seconds ie. N35 12 45

To convert one to the other just multiply what is after the decimal point by 60. (because there are 60 seconds in one minute and 60 minutes in one degree)

Here we go......

SPOT says N35.5678 To get to minutes multiply .5678 by 60 and you get 34.068. So your coordinates in degrees/minutes/decimal minutes is now N35 34.068

If you now want degrees/minutes/seconds multiply what is after the minutes decimal point by 60. .068 x 60 = 04.08 So now your coordinates in this format are N35 34 04

This works for converting in the opposite way as well by dividing the seconds then the minutes by 60 as well.

Hope that helps, probably seems easy to me only because I do it all the time, sorry if I just confused you. If you're scrating your head at this point try working a few out with a calculator and a map and hopefully it will start to make sense.
  20. RAZR

Oddometer:

fuck yeah:freaky that is awesome information!

thank you.

i had this SPOT vs PLB conversation with a friend who is a pilot and the issues with coordinates and the equation you just posted makes sense.

:clap