1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SPOT Owners Beware: 911 alerted, with a all day no show!!!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by rhinoeater, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great product seems like,..but would love not to have to get this and a SPOT for tracking purposes.
  2. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

you would just have to have the 406 and hit "OK" often enough to keep the lady happy at home.

i know most ppl with SPOT don't have the "tracking". it costs extra.
  3. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well two things :

1: Ok and self test button are one and the same. I read somewhere on the site (cant find it now) that you can do only so many self tests.
    2. History of tracked data. Say i go on a several months trip..

and 3. maybe we should do this convo over beer so i dont hijack the thread.

cheers :slurp
  4. Mik

Mik Riding big jugs airheads

Oddometer:
    408 was a typo, sorry, I meant 406.
  5. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I've really been trying hard to stay out of this but being an ex search & rescue dude, I have to say;

No matter what emergency beacon device you choose, the response will be different for each incident.

Emergency responders are not robots. They are people. Some of them are better at it than others.

When You decide to roll out, it's on You.

Go ahead and use all the protection & backup that you think you might need, but don't blame anybody else.
  6. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:

I've tried and tried to get that point across, but it is still apparent that there is feeling that a PLB will elicit a different, more urgent, response than every other request for help.

7. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    :nah Not even a little bit.
  8. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    This was my thought too. Fact is that my gf properly briefed would beat the county SAR crew to me and look better doing it. I mean for local daytrips. If I were down in say Colorado, she would be going tinkerbell on whoever wasnt out looking for me.... Should it seem needed.
  9. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:

The OK feature on the PLB's also costs money to tie it to something useful for the GF back home. Seems to me that money would be better spent on Spot's better tracking features, and then you'd have both in case the bike landed on one in the big crash or something...
  10. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  11. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    http://motohelp.com/

Looks like Dave has inked a rep(s) from SPOT to be at his shop in Canoga Park Tuesday Feb. 8th. I will get confirmation on the time.
  12. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    so whatever happened with a final accounting.

KP
  13. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Bump!

Yeah Rhino what did you learn overall that would help someone else??? Hope you are feeling better these days...!

p.s. I just bought my first Spot for my first Baja trip of any length, and in setting it up and testing out 911 (call Spot then GEOS ahead of time!!!), I ended up talking to the GEOS command center dude... well I learned a lot.
  14. bourkeco

bourkeco Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Love this!!!
  15. taosgsr

taosgsr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One good thing before heading into the backcounty in any area is to contact the Local Emergency dispatch center and just ask what type of GPS format their EMS/SAR/Fire/HEMS use. Then set your GPS to match, avoid confusion.
  16. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet 90% of them would not know. And those that do, would be capable of fixing any issues when they happen.
  17. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I understand the coordinate confusion issue and multiplying decimal fractions by 60 over and over...

... however with a Spot we have no control over this, correct? and the GEOS IERCC response desk does all the communications beyond that... ? and this is primarily a SPOT thread, unless I'm not following you here...
  18. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You and I are on the same page. It seems pointless to preemptively ask the local SAR what coordinate system they use. Cuz what spot sends them is not changeable to match in any case. And If they knew the answer to the question they would know how to fix it anyway so what's the point in asking the question?
  19. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    As knowledgeable as we all think we are, it only takes one uninformed person or agency to foil a perfect plan. Assuming SPOT and GEOS do their jobs is one thing. Assuming local law enforcement or search and rescue will jump all over the information sent is another.
    I don't have a solution to the problem, but will say there has been improvements in the system due to unfortunate trial and error by others.
    Comforting? Not really.
    I have lots of folks watching my back because of my SPOT. Wouldn't trade that for almost anything.

I'll give a plug for a great site for SPOT users.

www.whereamiriding.com

If you want an easy way for your family/friends to keep track of your progress, this is a great way to do it.
  20. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

what you said is exactly why i have kept my SPOT. friends and family watch my ass and would probably find me before the SAR / LEO:lol3 would find me.