Spot X Communicator

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Smoke Eater 3, May 10, 2018.

1. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took that mean that the plan pricing is valid for a year. The $19.99 a month is only good for a year from the activation date. Maybe I'm wrong.
  2. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you're wrong. Understandably, because SPOT is infamous for implying they have a monthly plan, at least long enough to get your credit card number. The only plan they actually offer is perpetual, which you can pay either monthly or annually. You have the option to discontinue once a year, if you remember in time before they auto-renew you. Can't easily cancel via the website, naturally.

Long-time Gen1 owner so not an anti-SPOT crusader, just hate their deceptive marketing and would like others to go in with their eyes open.
  3. Ride4Coffee

Ride4Coffee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been shopping for something like this, comparing the InReach models. And, since my experience with Spot has been satisfactory, I just ordered the SpotX. I haven't decided on a plan yet, but a phone call to Spot taught me that my current usage would be about the same costs (Weekender plan). That said, I'm considering moving to the Adventurer plan, carrying the device all the time, and messaging like crazy for a year, just to see how it works out.

I like to travel and carried the Spot Gen3 with me on recent trips, just for novel tracking purposes (Great to show the kids their "footprints" on a map).

Spot shipping is currently two to three weeks. Once it comes in and I've had some experience with it, I'll look to post some thoughts to this thread again.
  4. AK_Hoff

AK_Hoff Going slow as fast as I can.

Oddometer:
    Mine just arrived. I paid for the weekender since I do not need unlimited messages. I also paid for the SAR insurance and vehicle recovery (incudes any vehicle i own). Total peace of mind. The one thing I really like is that anyone I give my spot phone number to can message me, I heard that inreach requies the owner to initiate a message before anyone can reply. I want the ability for the wife to contact me if there is an emergency at home. Also, the X had 19 precanned messages you can set up and these do not count against your message limit. I have set mine up so that I would rarely have to use one of my 300 texts.

Someone above said that the X may not have a waypoint function - yes it does. You can use it to navigate back to your last sent Track or input a waypoint. It will give you a direct route etc. So far, I am impressed. Leaving in a week to ride out of Alaska to Alberta and back throught NWT to D2D. I will post a more detailed review when I return.

PS I also use my spot 3, now spot x, for fishing and snowmobiling the back woods of Alaska.
  5. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:

To get that thing in your pocket and working, how much did it cost in the end?
  6. AK_Hoff

Oddometer:
    $500
  7. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    owch - that's a lot of clams
  8. AK_Hoff

Oddometer:
    Yes, but I did opt for the Veh Recovery and SAR insurance, and I use it all year long here in Alaska (once you leave the highway no to little cell coverage). To me and my wife the price is very reasonable for the peace of mind.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  9. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    I just need to find someone who loves me enough to be concerned about my whereabouts and wellbeing - then convince them to get this for me.
  10. TossingLead

TossingLead Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my Spot X. Typical Spot bullshit. They took my credit card payment for activation but it failed to activate the device. Over an hour on the phone with customer service and no joy! SPOT SUCKS!!!!!
  12. Smallfry506

Smallfry506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m a little confused. With the spot x can I pay the activation fee, then the monthly fee for say June July and August, then cancel the plane and do the same thing next summer? Or are you roped in for a year contract no matter what? Just weighing price options between this and Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mbabc likes this.
  13. smoltz

smoltz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figures I just got my inReach. Would be a tough decision now. I like that with inReach you can adjust plan and that the reliability \coverage is considered to be the gold standard, but the 10 minute tracking interval and the messaging limitations are not ideal. Maybe Garmin will tweak their pricing in response to this.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  14. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Got a notice from spot this morning (gen 3 user here) that they are tacking another $25/year “network fee” onto the subscription - this after a 50% increase last year.

Bye bye, spot.
  15. elron

elron Still Standing

Oddometer:
  16. HalcyonRider

HalcyonRider peaceful, prosperous, carefree

Oddometer:
    Roped in to a year subscription. But the hardware is cheaper. It kinda balances in the end. Both products (Garmin or Spot) are overly expensive.
    Smallfry506 likes this.
  17. Smallfry506

Smallfry506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the clarification. Rei has the inreach on sale until June 6th. Since I only need the service 3-4 months out of the year that’s the route I’m going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. HalcyonRider

HalcyonRider peaceful, prosperous, carefree

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I had a hard time making a decision. Especially with the contracted plan... If you catch my earlier post...

http://advrider.com/index.php?posts/35048712

I ended up justifying the Spot X to myself. I must have been inclined in the first place.
    Smallfry506 likes this.
  19. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I've had the previous generation Spot devices and really don't need a lot more whistles and bells than those offer. The ability to text a specific message a opposed to the pre-loaded messages may make it worth the switch. Also the ability to charge it so I never have to guess what my useable battery life is. I find myself pre-loading high end lithium batteries and those aint cheap. I like to wear my Spot on my arm when in the back country and this looks like it's going to be a little big for that. Hmmm.
  20. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Had a SPOT 2 and used it for a help message to get out of a mud hole. Got an InReach and like it so much better for the text function. Wife used the IR for some hiking trips and we love the text function. One trip she got ill and we consulted both our maps and determined the best extraction point for the next day and we met there right on time. Following year her and a friend were backpacking a multi-day route and wanted to bail out after first night cuz of heavy rains. She texted me to find out WTD and I looked at weather imagery and told them through texts to hang on as the weather system was on it's way out. They did and had another 4 nice days of hiking. Would not be possible with the plain old SPOT. So... get one of these. Or and InReach. We pair the IR to our phones and use the keyboard on the phone which is so much easier than putting in text with the IR. They really need to improve that on the IR. Maybe this SPOT X will prompt them to make some improvements.
    Chaostrophy likes this.