Spot X Communicator

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Smoke Eater 3, May 10, 2018.

1. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While rechargeable batteries seem like a good idea, you're pretty much in the same boat as regular batteries if they die out on the fly...If you need to get powered up quickly and can't wait or don't have a way to recharge, you're going need to carry a set of replacement batteries with you anyway.

I always carry a spare set of three lithium AAA's in case my SPOT II runs dry so I don't worry about guessing about battery life.

Actually, It just happened last week while I was in the Smokies. The ON button started blinking red, I switched out the batteries, and I was good to go.

Now, this is only the second time I've replaced the batteries in years but in the interest of full disclosure, I never use the tracking feature, instead just sending my "I'm OK" message from time to time so Mrs. Menhir doesn't worry and has a fair idea of where I am. I don't tax the batteries as much as other users might.
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    where did you buy it? I see REI has them (I don't support them)..hoping for somewhere else
  3. AK_Hoff

AK_Hoff Going slow as fast as I can.

Oddometer:
    Direct from Spot via the interweb.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  4. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got my Spot Communicator working. Its decent and finds a signal in pretty dense foliage. The claimed 10 day battery life is a real stretch. I got 4 days before the low battery warning. That's not terrible because I can charge it on the road.

The UI is pretty clunky and seems to slow down when the battery gets low which is really odd.

Overall, its quite usable.
  5. ncbmx64

ncbmx64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up a Spot X last Friday night and played around with it over the weekend. I didn't care for it and canceled service Monday and returned it (which wasnt exactly easy to get them cancel my service they wanted to lock me in for the year contract they eventually canceled my service but charged me the full month and activation fees). First I felt like I got tricked into a year long contract just like others have stated. They promote the service as month to month but really its a 12 month contract billed monthly. Second issue was some of the texts that I sent from the Spot I never received them on my cell phone and other times the texts would come within a minute and others 20 min to up to hours later if at all (they were all sent from same location which is open area with no trees or anything blocking signal, I also tried other areas even on top of a 3 story building all with same results). Third the tracking was also hit or miss when reviewing my tracking which I had set for 2.5 min there would be 30 min gaps between tracking points. So I returned it and got the Garmin Inreach since its on sale currently at REI and see if that works better for me. So far after messing with it for just a hour or so I am happy with the Garmin I havent activated it to try the messages yet but the built in maps and the fact I can use bluetooth to connect it with my cell phone and or ipad already seems more useful than the Spot.
    Chaostrophy and mbabc like this.
  6. Ride4Coffee

Ride4Coffee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This conversation is getting very interesting, based on the various reviews. Mine is on the way and I look forward to giving it the same tests.

I wonder what sorts of atmospheric or rf interference would impact the performance of the SpotX...
  7. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I will stick with my first generation SPOT for another year...
    Scott_PDX and Chaostrophy like this.
  8. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good

Oddometer:
    Last week, I rode Sherman Pass (CA) and Sonora Pass solo with my SPOT 3 on. My wife did not see a single ping during the time I was solo on the mountain passes. Is this common out west? I'm from the east coast.
  9. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    not common...but you do have it out where there is a clear unobstructed view to the sky
  10. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good

Oddometer:
    Here is my SPOT log for that day. I rode Sherman Pass west to east and the sky was very clear. Obviously, I had an unobstructed view because it pinged before (18) and after (19) I entered the pass. The time between 18 and 19 is 2 hours 14 minutes. That sucks! SpotShermanPass.png
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. ncbmx64

ncbmx64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same problems I was having
  12. HalcyonRider

HalcyonRider peaceful, prosperous, carefree

Oddometer:
    Dang. You guys are making me doubt my decision to order the SpotX. What good is it if it doesn't work. REI reviews have a lot of the same complaints. I'm pretty sure my SpotX will be waiting for me when I get home from this work trip. I might just send it straight back. Any word on the inReach mini?
  13. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good

Oddometer:
    I've owned a SPOT since 2007. It works fine where I do 99% of my remote riding, which is a 1.2 million acre Pinelands Preserve in NJ. There is very little elevation change there. It was disappointing to see how ineffective it was in the Sierra Mountains.

Chaostrophy likes this.
  14. fhammond

fhammond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got both right now (see my thread in this forum). I'm leaning towards keep just the Inreach.
  15. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the inreach mini, black was in stock but waiting 2 weeks to get the orange, should be interesting though I feel like I'm paying for the size...
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  16. HalcyonRider

HalcyonRider peaceful, prosperous, carefree

Oddometer:
    Where did you order from?
  17. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    eBay had a 20% off sale the other day....
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  18. Mulley

Mulley stay dirty my friend

Oddometer:
    How are you guys carrying your SPOT X? Please add link for any clips, pouches etc. I haven't found anything made specifically for it.

I always carried my SPOT GEN 2 in the factory pouch strapped to my backback shoulder strap. It gives it a clear view of the sky and I like the idea of it being within reach if I'm separated from my bike in a spectacular dismount and can't
    retrieve it.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  19. 61rover

61rover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received a SpotX for Fathers' Day. I'll let you know what I think. I had a Spot Gen2.
  20. Mulley

Mulley stay dirty my friend

Oddometer:
    I called Giant Loop today. They are updating the Tracker Packer line this year. A new version will be made for the SPOT X. The bad news is, SPOT did not send them a pre-production sample so they weren't able to get an early stary. So mid-fall is best case scenario for us to get a SPOT X case from them.

I believe my plan for now is to get a MOLLE pouch for a 2-way radio and attach it to my camelback strap, zip tie it if I have to. [​IMG]