Spot X Communicator

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Smoke Eater 3, May 10, 2018.

1. Ride4Coffee

Ride4Coffee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Out of curiosity, what is your tracking interval?
  2. Mulley

Mulley stay dirty my friend

Oddometer:
    I have it set on 5 min but it's missing some points. I'm sure tree cover blocks it. I'm wearing it on my backpack strap with the antenna pointing up. So far I'm pleased with it.
  3. Scratch33

Scratch33 you're going to feel a little pressure Supporter

Oddometer:
    So this email just arrived:

"Dear Valued SPOT Customer,

Facebook has recently announced several platform changes which will affect posting Check-In and Custom Messages to Facebook profiles. As of August 1, customers will no longer be able to post to Facebook from any SPOT product including SPOT X.

Customers who are currently linked to Facebook can post to their profile until August 1stfrom their device. If customers are not currently linked to Facebook, they will no longer have the option to do so. SPOT customers will still be able to update their friends and family of their adventures by creating and sharing a Share Page or a SPOT Adventures album. They can do this by copying and pasting the Share Page link from My Account or by selecting the Facebook tab on the SPOT Adventures album, and then posting it to their Facebook profile.

We encourage you to contact Facebook directly to file a complaint about this recent change as this was not only one of our favorite features but a customer favorite too.

Thank you,
    SPOT"​
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never hooked mine to FB, so no change in my camp. The whole point of going off grid is to get away from people and things that annoy me.........
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I've never been able to understand the need some people have to be involved in other people's lives 24 hours a day"....Ted Simon
    taranaki and polishadam82 like this.
  6. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'd like people to be able to easily find me if I don't show up where I'm expected. In the greater San Francisco Bay area, we've had several cases of people crashing and not being found for a week, despite being off of a reasonably well traveled road, not far from town. Amazingly enough, in the three cases I can think of, the people survived. But I'm impatient, I'd like to be found much sooner ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  7. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the Fundy Adventure Rally this weekend and used my Spot X. It is not waterproof.

Very heavy rain and it was out in the open watching the satellites. The screen is now full of water but the unit still operates.
  8. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's painting with a pretty broad brush.
    People generally don't annoy me and I'm not heading out to get away from anyone. I just like to travel and camp with my motorcycle.
    So maybe I'm blessed.

The purpose behind my SPOT is:

1) To get help if I need it.
    2) Not to be a self-centered jerk.
    My wife would like to know I'm OK and get a general idea where I am (see #1). So would my (grown) children. Flying down the highway and solo camping around the country with a big grin on my face not caring if my family wonders if I'm OK doesn't sit well with me. They're the only ones who have access to my messages anyway.

I never post about my travels until I'm back home, I don't post pictures of my food, and no one knows where I'm at in my travels except those I elect to tell.
    TRoberts, Ride4Coffee and Chaostrophy like this.
  9. Mulley

Mulley stay dirty my friend

Oddometer:
    That's not good. I hope they take care of you and replace it.

Mine did fine in the rain in Colorado a few weeks back.
    Smoke Eater 3 likes this.
  10. PanamaJacob

PanamaJacob PanamaJacob.com

Oddometer:
    I'm on the monthly inreach plan, really like but i do use it year round.
    upload_2018-8-22_12-13-52.png
    upload_2018-8-22_12-13-59.png
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. 61rover

61rover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So anyone found a good RAM mount for these rascals?
    Dan Diego likes this.
  12. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    You should carry it on your body, not your bike.
    TRoberts, kickstandsup and Phoenix101 like this.
  13. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Since I did the last firmware update I am getting alerts "monitored device has not moved" right after I turn tracking on. I have it set to alert if the device hasn't moved for an hour. Anyone else having this problem?
  14. ABCoast2Coast

ABCoast2Coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought the spot x 2 days ago, took it out yesterday to the duck blind and it sent an SOS in my pocket! This is my 8th spot device and I've never had an issue with the old ones but wow, first time out and it fails in the worst way... Of course I didn't know about it because the device doesn't make any noises, even when you're receiving messages from the IERCC! So after the hunt we drove out the trail till we started getting cellular service and the girlfriend and I both got some weird missed calls from Texas on our phones. Then I checked my email and there was a message from the IERCC saying that they've received my SOS and received a subsequent cancellation of that message. Sure enough I pulled the spot x out of my pocket and it was sending an sos signal. I hit the cancel option and attempted to respond to the messages from the IERCC, but since the sos had been cancelled, it would not allow me to respond to the messages! What a great design that is I thought, what do I do now - re-initate the SOS so I can respond to their messages? No, not worth the extra confusion. We were still in poor reception so I replied to their email on my cell phone telling them it was not an intentional sos and that everything was fine. I hit send and started driving again toward where cellular service would improve. Then I received a call from a local RCMP officer who was out looking for us. I informed him that everything was ok. The IERCC had also contacted my family members, who being on the East coast were all sleeping as it was after midnight in their time zone. Eventually I got everyone convinced that I was ok and there wasn't any emergency. Jayzuz...

Some more info: I had previously disabled the ability to enable SOS using the menu system. The unit was turned on in my pocket but not tracking or doing anything. I had intended to start tracking to test it out but forgot to do that. It was in the cargo pocket of my cargo pants. There was no sign that the cover over the SOS button had come loose and when I inspected it I don't believe it could have been pressed. Because you have to flip that cover open and then press down fairly hard on the button to activate it. So I believe what happened is the entire unit flexed inside my pocket which closed whichever circuit on the board itself causing the sos to activate. This same thing used to happen with my iphone SE when I would bend down to pick something up, Siri would always start talking asking me what I wanted. The button couldn't possibly be pressed in my pocket but the phone flexed enough to close the circuit somehow. That's just a theory because the guard over the SOS button seems really robust and I can't imagine it being pressed just sitting in my pocket in a duck blind. I can press it as hard as I can and it doesn't even bend the cover.

My initial reaction was and still is what the hell am I going to use this for if I can't even use it sitting in a duck blind? With hundreds of hours on enduro bikes and thousands of km on adventure bikes every year what is the likelihood of this happening again? Pretty good I would say if it goes off just sitting in some grass waiting for ducks. So I'm going to be doing some more playing around with it this weekend and make a decision on weather to return it or not. I haven't found the performance of the rest of the features to be particularly inspiring either, but for my year round usage this one is about half the monthly cost of an inreach with equal service plan but may end up costing me a lot more in the end because if I have helicopters chasing me around the rockies things will get expensive really quick...
  15. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking at this point that keeping it simple might be the best course of action.
    I've considered upgrading to a newer device, but I just renewed my SPOT II for another year instead. :-)
  16. PanamaJacob

PanamaJacob PanamaJacob.com

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a design flaw with the sow button. Old inreach SE has great design where you have to slide a really stiff cover to the right and the press a recessed SOS button. New Garmin units have similar level of user intervention neede to activate sos.
  17. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    The email I got from them:

SPOT X FIRMWARE UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE

The SPOT X firmware update will address the following issues:

Fixes

• Fixed occasional erroneous low battery warning pop-up
    • Fixed occasional lock-up issue
    • Fixed occasional power-off and power-on issues
    • Fixed minor User Interface issues
    Improvements

• Fetch New Message
      • Added Fetching Message icon to Status Bar when Fetch New Message menu item is selected
      • Fetch New Message menu item will be grayed out when selected, indicating that the SPOT X is in Message Fetching mode
      • S.O.S.
        • Added ability to disable S.O.S. menu item to prevent accidentally initiating an S.O.S. from the User Interface – S.O.S. mode will only be initiated by physically pressing the S.O.S. button only
        • S.O.S. menu item will be grayed out when disabled.
        • Improved compass accuracy/stability
        • Added Country Code example to SMS number entry screen, preventing users from using the field for Area Code by mistake
    Customers will need to perform the firmware update through My Account or the firmware updater page on FindMeSPOT.com. A Wi-Fi connection is necessary to successfully complete the firmware update. The firmware update cannot be updated through a tablet, iPad or phone.

For additional questions about the update, please call our Customer Relations Team, available 24/7 at 866-651-7768.

Thank you!
    SPOT Marketing Team
    Hours
    Our team is available 24/7.

I just spent an hour on the phone waiting for them to answer my call. I finally got to talk to the guy for about 2 minutes and he couldn't understand what the problem was. Then I guess he didn't like my attitude and put me on some kind of soundless hold. Awesome customer service...
  18. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I called again after I was finally hung up on and waited on hold for 1 hour and 4 minutes to get to talk to another tech. He had no clue either but made a ticket to send to another department with the understanding that they would call me. I asked what contact number they had for me and they gave me my home phone number and my wife's cell number. I told them to call my cell number to get a hold of me.
    The next day they called my home phone number and my wife gave them my cell number to call. :bluduh This guy told me that the last update added the stupid feature of sending a movement alert when you first initiate tracking. It's supposed to alert your contacts if the device hasn't moved for a set amount of time that you set up in your account. So now it sends the same alert when you initiate tracking or the device hasn't moved for the set amount of time. It would be okay if you could have two different messages to say "device has started moving" and "device hasn't moved" for the pre-determined amount of time.
    I just went into my account and disabled the movement alert feature. It's of no use to me the way it's set up now.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  19. Ride4Coffee

Ride4Coffee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like Spot is offering monthly plans:
    SPOT X Plans.JPG
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  20. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like 12mo. term applies though. Funny how marketing breaks it down to monthly to make it seem more affordable as if people are really that stupid.......or are they?:jack