Spot X Communicator

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Smoke Eater 3, May 10, 2018.

1. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also quick update....... Did a 1500 mile ride in OR, WA, MT, and ID along with 700 mile drive CA and OR to the meeting spot last week. SPOT X worked well on most of the trip, but there were just certain areas where it just didn't send out tracking messages. I noticed on the way up and back, these areas are the same areas where there were holes before. If I came to a stop, a message would go out.......Hoping if I were stopped and sent out a text or distress message that it would get out. Maybe the higher speeds distort the outgoing messages......picketing due to tall mountains, rocks, and trees kind of like when someone calls you from a cell phone in the car.
  2. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look at the second row... 1 month term

Not sure what the "Flex Charge" is about in terms of term
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Spot's page:

*Enrollment in any Flex Plan is subject to a $24.99 Annual Flex Charge that is payable upon activation and then each year at renewal, even if the device is suspended at that time. This Flex Charge allows the customer to suspend service anytime during the year without activation fee recurrence when turning service on again throughout the year. All Flex Plans have a one month minimum term. Message allotment per Flex Plan includes both incoming and outgoing messages.
  4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I was just reading the top row.......
  5. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, nice to see them allowing month to month, but everything I've seen tells me get a Garmin InReach, fewer issues, and vastly better support when you do, seems like you're damn near paying to be abused with these.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  6. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    We should also tell him what oil and tires he should use. Since he asked.
  7. 61rover

61rover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received an email from Spot yesterday alerting to software\firmware update. Here's what it says:

Improvements
    • New Main Menu Layout
      • Added a Create Message icon
      • Added a Contacts icon
      • Added a Track/Fetch Intervals icon
    • Support for long email addresses- up to 50 characters
    • Updated Basic service to include 30 & 60 minute tracking
    • Audible alerts for incoming messages

Fixes
    • Fixed accidental S.O.S. initiation bug
    • Fixed occasional incorrect recipient display
    • Preferred language consistency throughout user interface
    • Fixed Nation Safe Drivers displaying as a contact
  8. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Battery life claims are BS. I used it for tracking four days about 10 hours a day and sent 4 check in messages and the battery icon was empty. It was still powered up but the icon said the battery was empty. I have it set for 10 minute tracking intervals.

From their website:
    240 HOURS (10 DAYS) OF BATTERY LIFE IN CONTINUOUS 10 MINUTE TRACKING MODE

So I got about 40 hours of tracking and probably another 2 hours of it being on sending the check in messages.

240 hours claimed versus 42 hours of actual use. :scratch
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  9. OttawaPat

OttawaPat n00b

Oddometer:
    I had read this forum for feedback/reviews before purchasing so I may as well contribute.

This is my first GPS locator thingy and i’m glad I waited as the two way messaging ability was a plus for me. I was off grid for a week. Sure dirt biking gets you away but I did a sailboat delivery in the open ocean from The Chesapeake Bay to The Bahamas. I also went for the SPOT X product as I didn’t want pairing with another device. Just another variable for problems in times of crisis. Things are a little more relaxed when you’ve broken your femur in the bush but being in gale force winds means no relaxing.

The SPOT X worked great. Breadcrumbs were reliable (why save only the last 50???) and texting/emailing worked 80% of the time (I was expecting worse! And it’s like a time machine—the keyboard interface takes you back 20 years. It took me about ten minutes to send each short message! I got in the habit of making a sandwich then coming back to see if the message got sent.). I also loved the fact that they got away from annual subscriptions and allowed more realistic monthly service plans. I was surprised the Rescue Insurance (big requirement for me) was an extra $25 (I thought it was included in the subscription fee) but at least it’s only annual.

Yep, it worked and i’ll activate it for another month when I need it again. Didn’t use the social media function.

The battery life was not as good as advertised. I thought it was due to my unlimited messaging but,after charging it every second day on my trip, I suspect the battery claims are not correct.

BTW, I purchased in early Oct 2018 and when I called tech for support they told me to do another software update tomorrow. I did and I see the on-screen SOS feature was disabled in the software update.

Having to keep the device vertical was required for it to work at all. A bit of a pain. I’ll have to buy a bracket for it for the dirt bike and i’m not sure how the vertical requirement will work in the motorcycle world without a bracket.

Anyone know of some bracket options?
    CrazyCooter and Phoenix101 like this.
  10. 61rover

61rover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having the same dilemma about how to carry this thing and maintain satellite connection. I tried putting it in a tank bag pocket but didn't work well. I asked Giant Loop if they were going to sell a Tracker Packer for the SpotX and they said no. Haven't seen a RAM mount either. What are you guys doing?
  11. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been carrying my Spot in the right thigh pocket of my Aerostich for years, works fine through the fabric. Others may disagree, but I'm of the opinion that these devices should be carried on the person, not on the bike. The odds of you being near the bike and ambulatory, and the Spot staying on the bike rather than being tossed into the weeds after a serious accident seem vanishingly small to me. Any emergency communication device, including a phone, should be permanently on your person and within reach to be effective. YMMV.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  12. AK_Hoff

AK_Hoff Going slow as fast as I can.

Oddometer:
    I bought a cheap iphone arm sports arm band that fits. Rode from Anchorage to Calgary and back and had perfect coverage.
  13. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    The power button design is stupid. One momentary press and it's on. I don't know how many times I have pulled it out of a bag to use it and it is on from a bump. For who knows how long? :umph