Spring rates 16 Scorpa Factory 250

Discussion in 'Trials' started by RedDevil154, Jul 11, 2018.

1. RedDevil154

RedDevil154 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking to get the bike sprung better for my weight. I’m 220lbs/99kg so the bike is defining under sprung. Looking at getting the following springs but I’ve read not to go to these springs because it would be over sprung. Just wanted to make sure these would be a good choice for my weight? It shows the 80Nm to be the spring for 95-100kg

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the stock springs rates are, but it is better to be too soft than too hard. Just like the diagram says
    , maybe one step soft is better.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  3. RedDevil154

RedDevil154 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good call on that. I guess it helps to read the fine print too lol I’ve also contacted RYP to see what they may recommend since I’m in the US. Thanks
    jonnyc21 and lineaway like this.
  4. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I weigh more than you and I never felt I needed more spring. I did do a couple spins on the adjuster nut to add a bit more tension to the spring.
    Will say the standard with the marz forks I thought were far to soft and mushy but the Factory with Tech was just perfect balance with the rear.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely not a fan of stiffer springs.

It's almost automatic, the inclination to up spring rate, especially for people coming from the enduro and motocross world. Harsh bottoming and low ride height are usually the reasons. But with the stiffer spring performance elsewhere suffers, and the rear end can stands up too much, making the steering reactions more hyper. On my long travel setup I run a very soft 55 N/mm spring with little preload. When I was experimenting with the next two stiffness springs up. Each jump up the quality of feel and squat went down and bottoming got more harsh. Weird, eh?

I once sold a bike to a 300-pound fellow. I set spring preload by riding the bike around with cattle feed bags slug over the seat. I was able to get him set up, steering well, well with the stock spring with a little more preload. Yes, the ride height was lower for him, but it was equal front and rear and worked well.

Caveat: Some `80s bikes were definitely under sprung and needed stiffer springs front and rear so required preload wasn't ridiculous. The moderns, in my opinion, are stiff enough to cover everyone short of massively heavy with tweaks.