Spring ride at the farm?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by pilot, Jan 9, 2005.

1. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    So....is Panic's place part of this operation ? If possible, we could use Panic's place for one night and I'll try and plan subsequent routes and campsites. Like I mentioned, Diane maybe driving a chase vehicle or atleast arriving at our pre-determined camp sites early with gear that we can give her.

By July we should be able to conquer virtually any mountain pass, so anywhere in Colorado is going to be superb riding.

As far as my 'choice' bike is concerned....I've been riding with Esteban who really rides the hell out of his KLR and raves about it. He has a number of bikes but has ridden the KLR and his KTM LC4 for the rides we have taken together. But, I'm still not all that excited to buy a KLR. I love the DRZ for trails and mountain roads but want something a little more road worthy...

I've been seriously considering the DL650 Vstrom for a touring DS bike that Diane can ride on the back of...of course, the DL650 would not be as well suited for off-roading as something like the KLR or a F650 Dakar but for $5k new, its a hellluva bike. I would certainly keep the DRZ and use the DL650 for commuting and adventure touring stuff. Any suggestions on the 'perfect bike' ?

Also -- for all Chaingolians who plan on coming to Colorado, I would recommend the smallest displacement bike possible -- There are countless dirt roads and trails that would allow us to seriously limit the amount of pavement riding. You are going to want a more nimble bike that you can throw around and enjoy (not struggle with). I am in NO WAY discouraging the GS crew from bringing their big pigs, but I would advise bringing the smaller bikes if they are available.

Im excited as hell for this...let the planning begin !
  2. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Would a 950 be ok?

[​IMG]
  3. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    It sits under a rainbow :eek1

Nice pic Skinner.
  4. trailuser

Oddometer:
    As far as my 'choice' bike is concerned....I've been riding with Esteban who really rides the hell out of his KLR and raves about it. He has a number of bikes but has ridden the KLR and his KTM LC4 for the rides we have taken together. But, I'm still not all that excited to buy a KLR. I love the DRZ for trails and mountain roads but want something a little more road worthy...

I've been seriously considering the DL650 Vstrom for a touring DS bike that Diane can ride on the back of...of course, the DL650 would not be as well suited for off-roading as something like the KLR or a F650 Dakar but for $5k new, its a hellluva bike. I would certainly keep the DRZ and use the DL650 for commuting and adventure touring stuff. Any suggestions on the 'perfect bike' ?

Fist,

If the DL650 was available when I bought my DL1000 I for sure would have went with the 650. They share the same frame, seat, gas tank, but the 650 is supposed to be about 40 LB (+-) lighter. The 70 hp would have been more than enough. It's not in the same class as the KLR for off-road, but would be a capable gravel/dirt road bike.

http://home.earthlink.net/~colorider/ Check out Verle's link....interesting!

I've met Esteban (Steve Green) at the CMC a couple of years back. Yes they say he can ride that KLR!!

PS-There's no perfect bike, or as someone once said the perfect bike is the next one you wanna buy :D
  5. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, man, I miss a day or two and we're going to Colorado now?!

Sweet.

I am so in.
  6. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    sounds like a small displacement bike is the way to go...

You gonna bring your 250? Do you still have one that runs?
  7. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Get with the program Rob :D :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77319

Hope to have a DRZ in a few weeks.
  8. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
  9. Panic

Panic Anxiety's little friend

Oddometer:
    My cabin is open to any days/nights needed. It makes a great base camp for day trips. Lots of good dirt/fire roads/trails nearby and lots of good twisties starting a few miles down the road. Idaho Springs is about 10 miles down the mountain, so beer/food is not too far. My problem is my whole family will be in Boulder for my bro's wedding an I will need to make prolly a 2 day appearance. That won't stop any Chaingolians from enjoying the site. Cabin is primitive. Stream water, outhouse, woodstoves for heat. Cabin is a work in process and will not win any architecture awards, but the roof keeps the rain off and the woodstove keeps ya warm.
    My plan was to Fly to DIA, but now maybe have to reconsider and drive/ tow a bike or two out. Haven't got the kitchen pass on this latest motoscheme, but that is just details.
    I'm in :freaky
  10. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a long weekend, if we're talking about 5-7 days I'll have to work on things a bit. :deal
  11. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    how about we base camp at Panics so we dont have to waste our eves and morns with camp. this will leave more time for beer and bikes, and I wont have to carry all this shite around the mountainside :lol3

[​IMG]

Just my .02
  12. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    One and a half. :D
  13. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Im all for a base camp...That makes things ALOT easier --

Provided Panic's willing, I vote for base camp in Idaho Springs...

:thumb

You sure you wanna come out to Colorado ? Might be boring...
    [​IMG]
  14. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Colorado sucks. They should pave and straighten all their roads and flatten the mountains. Then I might think about visiting.

:hide
  15. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    20 hours drive time from my place via Todd's to Idaho Springs.

If Will's test ends on the 27th and we get there on the 28th is that a plan?

Fist, If I make this ride I'll bring a bottle of Kentucky's Finest that I can put my hands on. This would be one hell of a way to welcome you the liars club. good hooch and a four or five day camp out.

If I can do this without taking off a Thursday that makes it a lot easier to strectch the trip past a long weekend

what about the rest of you guys?
  16. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    Is there room near your cabin to park a bunch of trailers?

Also, we have to get a get a hold of this crew

[​IMG]

to see if they can make it otherwise it might be a long ride to breakfast!
  17. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

I know it's gonna be dreadful, but your'e worth it Willy :lol3
  18. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

We can leave my place on Thursday night the 28th if that works for you.
    Give the Fist a little time to relax before the troops show.
  19. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    So where do you want me to meet up with you guys? Colorado or Idaho?
    :D
  20. trailuser

Oddometer:
    Chain-I sent you a PM

Joe