Spring Rides

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alaskahack, Apr 3, 2013.

1. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    If anyone have driven up the Richardson hwy. towards Valdez & Glennallen to D.J.
    it be nice if you can update us on how the roads are.
  2. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:
    Snow and 30*F in Fairbanks today... :cry

This slow spring break up is killing me. We get two steps forward, ride a few miles, get excited and wake up to snow. Twice now I've been really ready to rock and roll and blammo! Ma'Nature flips us the bird. :cry:cry:cry
  3. GaryAK

GaryAK Easy Going

Oddometer:
    Monday evening's ride - our first of the season...

Go full screen & 1080p for best...

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2476158552_CXSCH6f?width=640&height=360&albumId=28939472&albumKey=j7pvxc"></iframe>

Gary & Deb :wave
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Great video! Thank you for sharing, Mark H.
  5. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice
    I really liked the rear view on top of helmet, as it seems to really display the 1080p at it's best, and there isn't that much movement left and right.

I've quite a bit of wasted gigs of hero movies

The rear shots were beautiful, thanks for sharing
  6. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the stoke. The sun's out and the roads are clearing up here. Still cool though... like 25*F :huh

They keep telling me it's going to warm up...

Nothing higher than 37*F on the Wunderground Forecast for the next week.

And snow in the forecast for Sunday and Monday. :cry
  7. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Palmer right now, on route to Eureka now. See ya there, coffee's on me . No rain check .
  8. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have fun take pictures.
    Still waiting for that traveller to show up

Take lots of pictures
    Ride safe

B
  9. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Fairbanks in Shannon park. I would start chipping ice out to trainer gate. As soon as it was clear enough I would ride. I remember going by the Alaska club at -3 on my custom chopper. Time to get out bud or you will go insane. Be careful and have fun. Might ride up when I get back from prudhoe will have to grab a beer.
  10. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally made it to the pavement today! :clap Took the 450 out first then came back and took out the 1150. The wind was screaming pretty good. There was a tree blown down on Willow Creek Parkway that spanned the full width of the road. Thought I was going Trials riding but there were a few passable spots where the tree broke into pieces. Just goes to show you never know what's around the next corner. Lots of sand and water and other hazards still on the back roads. Just glad the ice is finally gone.
  11. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you finally made it out, watch that sand and gravel

Bob
  12. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Need I ask, how is the wind in Wasilla? Hope it slows down tomorrow. :rofl
  13. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Ride to eureka was good. Wind sucks. Ride back was nice tho, got sunny & wind calmed Down a notch
  14. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    alright lad, i took off this morning to eureka, was on the road by 10AM,

as soon as i hit the highway, i knew something was wrong .. it was going to be a windy ride. almost thought about canceling it. but neh.. kept on riding.

exit off and tool the old glen, towards the AK raceway. road condition on that run was okay. the roads was still wet . but not ice up. there was also shadow
    areas that had snow patches slushy version. im assuming it snowed the night.

fuel up in Palmer, and headed to Eureka.. traffic was great, had the road to myself.. and again when i passed Sutto, there was still leftover snow from that night, nothing crazy , just the old slush ,then there was also another good stretch about 20 miles before eureka.

....fast forward.. on the way back by 1:40 ish, all the snowed had melted and the roads was great..

Caution. not only snow. but when passing the SLIDE AREA, watch out. there was rocks falling down and some left on the middle of the highway when i was heading there, when coming back , looked like someone had cleaned it.

ill let the pictures do the talking..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

\
    [​IMG]
  15. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures Nu

Couple three years ago I spent a long weekend there snow-machining, decided going up the following weekend and there was a boat in the parking lot. I knew it was time to stop snowmachine for the season

Sort of like seeing that sportbike in the parking lot :rofl:rofl
  16. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    I went for my first ride of the season tonight. :clap Since the wind was blowing so hard, I mainly cruised around on some of the main thoroughfares in town. Then I got brave and got out on the Glenn Hwy, heading home. Sheesh - those strong wind gusts blew my lightweight bike all over the place! :eek1 I guess I'll have to put my saddlebags on the bike and fill them up with heavy weight. Oh Maggie - where are you????

I'm going on a longer ride tomorrow, but if the winds are still this strong I may have to just ride circles in town, practicing to go snowshoeing with AlcanRider who likes to go in circles. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

This is a warning. I'll probably head north tomorrow, up towards Willow, stopping to eat at the Cadillac Cafe outside of Wasilla. I'm not sure how long I'll ride as I want to spend a couple hours spring skiing tomorrow, soaking up more Vitamin D, wearing as few layers as possible!

Riding season is here - YAHOO!!!!!

:happay:happay:happay
  17. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Well we're getting the rain now and it's definitely helping out. There's still over a foot of snow out here but I think this rain is going to kick old man winter in the butt and finally send him packing. We are weeks behind from the norm. If the weather fortune tellers are right, Sunday should be good and it will be time to roll! :clap
  18. GaryAK

GaryAK Easy Going

Oddometer:
    Again, no big whoop - just glad to get out and ride. (I think we saw Mark and some others)

Best viewed full screen, and 1080p.

<iframe src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2497385529_x8TSQfg?width=640&height=360&albumId=28939472&albumKey=j7pvxc" frameborder="0" height="360" scrolling="no" width="640"></iframe>

Thanks for watching,

Gary & Deb :clap
  19. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's me you got at the 55 mark in your video. :wink: Good times.

It was my first ride down the Arm this year. Turned around at the construction near Girdwood and followed the sportbikes back into town. Very glad they all behaved themselves the whole way in.

Some other group of sportbikes had a mishap earlier tho when a guy crashed his beautiful new red/blk/white Ducati 848 EVO Corsa Special Edition. He's okay but broke some bones that may require surgery. And no, I don't know him other than his name is Ron.

Thanks for sharing another video. To continuing good times, Mark H.
  20. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    This Saturday, debating on Seward ride, or Another Eureka day ride.

Fairbanks sounds good too, but I'll have to make that a two day trip , coming back Sunday.

OR SHALL one attempt an 1k mile IBA run.

Wonder what's the condition on Richardson hwy ..??