Springs (East Rand) to Ballito

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Charliek223, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:36 AM.

1. Charliek223

Charliek223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    15 April 2019
    This is the beginning of my very first "long distance" trip with my best friend Roy. Also his first. Just having breakfast, then hitting the N17, for our first stop over in Piet Retief, at Sundowners Lodge.

16 April 2019
    It is now 06:34. Woke up just past 6 at our first overnight stay in Piet Retief. 1st day wasn't uneventful, as we took the wrong freeway to Piet Retief going through Ermelo. Took the N17 instead of the N2, causing an approx 50km detour, but I guess that is part of the adventure. And around 20km from Piet Retief, we had to stop to cover our luggage with the refuse bags we brought along for this very purpose, as we saw rain heading our way. But I must add, the detour took us through beautiful areas, with all the plantations along the way. And the bike behaved tremendously, and fuel consumption was great, but we did ride very conservatively, and hardly exceeded 100km/h. I travelled almost 400km with my 15lt of fuel.
    Today we are raking on the 2nd part of our trip to Ballito. We will be staying at Salt Rock caravan park for 2 nights, with a campsite overlooking the Indian Ocean.

16 April 2019 23:07
    We arrived at Salt Rock caravan park in Ballito at 16:55. Had rain again on the way. The roads we travelled today were R33 between Piet Retief and Vryheid, then R34 and R66 until we reached the N2. It was the last stretch before reaching our destination. The R34 is an awesome route to ride, with plenty of up and downhills, and curves to die for. I thoroughly enjoyed that road. After pitching the tents and getting settled, we have some curry at the hotel on the premises. Very tasty meals served. Now getting ready for a good nights rest, and tomorrow, if weather permits, Ushaka Waterpark for a day of wet fun.

18 April 2019 21:10
    Today we did the 1st leg of our homeward bound. We left Ballito around 11:15 after brunch at the hotel. Although our trip to Dundee, which was just over 250km, it felt quite long, due to roadworks, and traffic jam in Tugela Ferry, but we also experienced beautiful scenery, and plenty of curves.
    We didn't ride yesterday. Took a rest day, and enjoyed a day at Ushaka Marine World.
    Tomorrow will be our final packing up, for the remaining 320km.
  2. Charliek223

Charliek223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190415_100331.jpg

Attached Files: