Springtime In the Norwegian Mountains

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by motomrider, Jun 4, 2020.

1. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally, time to pay it forward after all the hours spent reading others ride reports! There is definitely not a lack of interesting trips and awesome photographers on the ADV forum, but if you have gotten this far :D maybe I peeked your interest enough to check out my mediocre photography skills.

Springtime in Norway, and I just realized this as I'm still pretty new to motorcycle touring, has to be the best time of year for riding around Norway. That is if the weather is nice and it doesn't rain, of course!

The plan was to drive from Oslo to Loen, spend the night there, and then drive back the next day. Hopefully riding as many curvy roads and mountain passes as possible without riding too many of the same roads back. This time of year the mountain passes are starting to open and if the weather would hold we might get lucky. One of the bucket list roads was Tindevegen with 10 meter snow banks and hopefully dry pavement. Even though we haven't had too much snow around Oslo this season, the mountains have gotten plenty. Some mountain passes were still not open when we left and a couple were closed again due to meltwater flooding the roads after they were cleared.

As for the weather, we lucked out and the temperature gauge nearly maxed out at 28C (82F) with clear blue skies both days we were out riding. The temperature did drop to 7C (45F) over the mountain passes and there were plenty of tunnels up there as well, which were just as cold. But, when riding in larger groups you quickly learn to dress appropriately when time permits, especially when it’s not you who decides when you stop. :D
    It felt a bit strange wearing a down jacket on the warmest day so far this year, especially when everyone around us were wearing t-shirts and shorts.

The cast
    We were going to be 7 riders, me included. I think everyone has ridden with each other at some point, but it’s mostly friend of a friend sort of thing. This would be our first long two-day trip together. As for the bikes, I guess you could say we are a varied bunch. Everything from an Indian bobber, to BMW RnineT's, S1000RR, a vintage Hayabusa, a sport tourer, and mine, an old GS.

Photos
    Lately I have wanted to take better photos while on the move and for this trip, I decided to sacrifice my Gopro Hero3 and attempt to solder in a wired remote for the trigger button. The wireless remote always runs out of battery, and same with the GoPro. There are some tutorials on how to do this on YouTube and after some experimentation, I had a GoPro with hardwired power and handlebar mounted trigger button!

Here is the result, hope you enjoy...

Leaving Oslo, beautiful weather and not too much traffic
    GOPR1256 - Copy.JPG

Luckily we don't have to worry about speed cameras... but we did hear reports of extra speed enforcement activity due to the holiday...
    GOPR1280 - Copy.jpg

RVs and campers are the norm in the spring/summer unfortunately. Not always easy to pass but definitely easier on the bikes.
    GOPR1288 - Copy.JPG

Not a fjord, but the mountains are getting closer...
    GOPR1293 - Copy.JPG

GOPR1307 - Copy.JPG

Now its getting colder
    GOPR1322 - Copy.JPG

Plenty of other bikes out enjoying themselves. Not always easy to catch them on film, this guy was seriously hauling... I snapped another photo after this one, but he had already passed me.
    GOPR1332 - Copy.JPG

Over the mountain we go
    GOPR1345 - Copy.JPG

...and down the other side...
    GOPR1365 - Copy.JPG
    GOPR1376 - Copy.JPG
    klaviator, MZ5, BigDogRaven and 3 others like this.
  2. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of the mountain passes between Aurlandsvangen and Laerdalsoeyri was unfortunately closed and we had to take the Laerdalstunnel which is one of the longest at 25km...
    GOPR1393 - Copy.JPG

we are riding in some spectacular valleys now...
    GOPR2069 - Copy.JPG
    GOPR2087 - Copy.JPG
    GOPR2114 - Copy.JPG

GOPR2144 - Copy.JPG

and then we were back up into the mountains...
    GOPR2161 - Copy.JPG

this went on for a while...
    GOPR2219 - Copy.JPG
    klaviator, MZ5, BigDogRaven and 3 others like this.
  3. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GOPR2232 - Copy.jpg

GOPR2249 - Copy.JPG

GOPR2253 - Copy.JPG

GOPR2265 - Copy.JPG

GOPR2266 - Copy.JPG

Oslo - Aal - Gol - Hagafoss - Aurlandsvangen - Laerdalsoeyri - Sogndal - Loen

Loen - Grotli - Lom - Sognefjellet - Tindevegen - Oevre Aardal - Aardalslangen - Laerdalsoeyri - Hemsedal - Gol - Oslo

Approximatelt 1030km (640mi)

Map - Copy.png
  4. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of twists and turns here :)
    Maps2 - Copy.jpg

And another one from Tindevegen
    IMG_20200601 - Copy.jpg
    Brenski, jasiu, MTBRALPH and 6 others like this.
  5. whiskeygut

whiskeygut KMAG YOYO

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!
    klaviator likes this.
  6. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy cow, that is some serious snow. I live near the Rocky Mountains in western Canada and we get out fair share but nothing like that. Kinda looks like Logan Pass on the Going to the Sun highway in Montana.
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  7. Kebabmonster

Kebabmonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful place, and amazing amount of snow there. Looks like you all had a blast. Great roads and great pics, thanks for sharing.

I'd like to ride Norway one day...
  8. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My pleasure! It was a great trip and even just a week later I'm already enjoying re-experiencing it through my own photos :)

I'm actually a little surprised by that. I would think you guys get much more snow than us. I'm not that familiar with this region so maybe I'm comparing to more southerly parts of Norway where there is probably less snow.

We are only a short ride away ;) The trick is avoiding the rain, but that could be any month really... :D