Sputnik sidecars

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by jaydmc, Jun 23, 2015.

1. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have another container of NOS sputnik sidecars in route, No ETA as of yet, nor do I know the condition for sure as we are not sure how well they were stored. I do know that the factory does not exist any longer and that these are coming in with out wheels as there are no wheels to be had anywhere that work with the brakes. We will be offering these with aftermarket Harley tubeless wire spoke wheels with a disk brake option.
    Pricing will be determined once I see the condition of the sidecars.
    Jay G
    DMC Sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  2. ricmachado

ricmachado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any updates on this? expected price? availability?

Just sold my sidecar and the bike, got me a new KLR and am looking for another rig
  3. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only update is that have confirmation that they are in route. Our plan is to offer these at $2995 with a Harley type wire tubeless wheel and bike specific mounts for about a dozen bikes. Other bikes will run a bit more. A disk brake will be a $600 up grade.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  4. ricmachado

ricmachado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    I had a custom hack on my sportster (home build frame + HD body), but sold all last month, I'll be looking to mount another hack on the sportster on on my new (to me) KLR.
    I think that the sputnik may be a good choice.
  5. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ran the Sputnik on the KLR, they work out well, the price of $2995 would include all of the KLR specific hardware. A couple of additional things I recommend. A stiffer spring for the rear of the bike, we sell these for $85, with our mounts you loose any skid pans you may have, we offer one that works with our mounts for $75. I also think that the brake $600 is important especially if you are going off road as coming down hill with a loaded sidecar you may find that you have enough traction with the front tire to either steer or brake but not both. Been there, no fun.
    We are taking refundable $1500 deposits to hold these sidecars and to make the bike specific mounts that come with them.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793

Attached Files:

6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jay,

I was looking for specs for these on the interwebs and found this on Bob Wark's website. Do you think the listed payload/GVW is pretty accurate?

• 18 inch wheel, with fat spokes, and a fat axle
    • Weight 235 pounds
    • Acceptable load 205 pounds
    • Equals total GVW 440 pounds
    • Length 6 foot 3 inches
    • Width 3 foot 7 inches
    • Ground clearance 7 1/2 inches
    • Leg room 47 inches ( seat back to foot rest )
    • Hip room 22.5 inches, seat is 17 inches but body bulges in this area.
    • Wheel Brake, Yes !
    • Tail light and running lights
    Think it would be a good match for my F800GSA?
    Can it be had with a matching F800GS rear wheel and disc brake? (actually I'd like to have matching 18" wheels all the way around, but that's a conversation for next year's budget)
  7. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is pretty close as it is what is listed in the owners manual however its load capacity was more a function of the IZH motorcycle it would have been attached to. And the "Fat" axle is only a 17mm axle however we will be changing these out to 3/4 inch (about 19mm) and the brake was a drum brake standard but as we are not getting any wheels, it will not have a brake as standard, only as an option for a disk brake. It would work fine with your F800GS, changing to the GS wheel is possible, not sure on the details as I have not had an F800GS rear wheel off to see able sizes and such however I suspect that it will be to wide to fit under the stock Sputnik fender, also its brake rotor is larger diameter then we would like so a proportioning valve may be needed. At some point you may be better off just having us build you a sidecar if you want all of this custom work. We can however run an 18 inch wire wheel rather then the 19 inch we are planning on using.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  8. hogmaine

hogmaine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious Jay do you need any steering mod on the KLR setup?
  9. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    You never "need" steering modifications, but they are nice, they lower the steering effort, most of our KLR customers do not modify the steering, We do make a leading link front end $2000, I do recommend a stiffer rear spring on the bike, $85
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    www.dmcsidecars.com
  10. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ETA on these sidecars to the Port is October 9th, how long it takes to clear customs we do not know, could be hours, could be weeks.
    We are taking $1500 deposits to hold these at this time.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  11. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sidecars are at the port, the department of Agriculture has put a hold on them, we no not why yet.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
  12. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jay,

Two questions, please...

1. How many units are you expecting?
    2. The website lists the price to include mounts only for the F650, Sportster, KLR, and DR. Above you say about a dozen. What other bike-specific mounts are you planning to include for that price?

Thanks!
  13. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a total of 35 sidecars, mounts are for a few dozen bikes that we sell the mounts for $775 for on our web site, more expensive mounts there is a slight up charge for.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    www.dmcsidecars.com
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's changed?
    "As is", regardless of paint, rust, or dents?
  15. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen photo's and found that they were all stored in doors and still in their original shipping crates, they should be in good condition.
    The sidecars are at the port, the department of agriculture has put a hold on them, we have not been told why.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    JustKip likes this.
  16. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sidecars have cleared customs, just working on getting them from the port.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    5x4 likes this.
  17. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will have the sidecars some time tomorrow. (9-16-2015)
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    5x4 likes this.
  18. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now in stock.
    They are orange in color with a black fender.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    www.dmcsidecars.com
  19. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the front flip forward on the Sputnik or does a dog have to jump over the side? Does your price include all the mountings and subframe fora Kawasukie Versys?
  20. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front opens, the trunk opens, the price includes the mounts but not crating or shipping. The crates that they arrived in worked for having them jammed into a shipping container where they can not fall over but would never hold up to a trucking company.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793