Squealing Brakes

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Loadedagain, May 9, 2003.

1. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    The pads on my adventure are new (3000km) and clean. For some reason they have started to squeal like crazzzy when stopping at low speed. Short of making sure that i always stop from high speed i dont know how to fix this. Was going to take them out todya and sand them down a bit to see if they're glazed, but i doubt it.... Haven't really done any rough/hard riding.
  2. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    What pads are fitted? - I had alot of noise from the original pads. When I fitted EBC pads as replacements almost all of the noise went away.
  3. jimjib

jimjib Long timer

Oddometer:
    stockers squeal like pigs
  4. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    ok...ok... I guess i'm riding the pig then. I will sand like a bastard tomorrow, and if it doesn't work i will replace with aftermarket bits

Colin "the squealer"
  5. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    My brakes squeal below the speed of 10 mph, too..
    but I just keep them as is, just to annoy the other vehicles so they know that I am stopping.

6. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    It sure gets attention! Guess i'll just have to drag the rear at low speed to avoid all the stares! :):
  7. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    My front dunlop pads used to squeel..now after about 1000kms they have stopped.

Yeah..give 'em a little sanding, and maybe look into some of that automotive pad glue to put on the back of 'em. I've heard that that works too.
  8. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    It started at the 3000km mark... So i dunno.. Going to go sand now and put some silicone on the backs. Should help a bit.
  9. RedPumkin

RedPumkin n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if there is something I can do to my rotors? I have two sets of wheels and the new set squeals but the older set is fine. I don't remember if it was the front or rear though.
    Thanks,
    kb
  10. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Same problem on my 02. Stockers bedded in, squealed. Dunlopads bedded in, squealed. EBC's bedded in, squealed. Always the same frequency and volume. Gooped the backs of the pads, no change. All I can nail it down to is the design of the front rotor. Every second "arm" is a "floater", and I think it's allowing too much flex in the plate, allowing the vibration which causes the noise.

As this is obviously not an uncommon problem, has anybody gotten any response from KTM? My dealer said that on the 300mm rotors this problem is sometimes evident with stock pads, but disappears with the Dunlopads. He's trying to get some info from KTM, but being a small Canadian dealer, pull with the OEM is little, I think.

Any ideas/suggestions, guys?:confused
  11. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    KTM is no different than any other manufacturer, if it's not life threatening, then it's not a big issue.

They can be a big pain in the ass, but be persistant, and a pain in the ass too, you'll get answers.
    Unfortunately, KTM USA is denying any issue with the front end of the '02 Adventure, but a dealer in Germany is familiar with our plight.

Shitty KTM wheel/brake owners unite!

:splat :splat :splat :splat :splat :splat :splat :splat
  12. Trevor_George

Trevor_George Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The simple way to get rid of your "squealing" brakes, is to find a quiet road away from folks, put the bike in first gear and rev the engine to around 4,000rpm or so, then squeeze the particular brake on hard on for 5 seconds, then off, then on again, and so on, so that the engine is working against the brake.

After a few hard squeezes the "squeal" will go away, (until the next time), so you just repeat the process. Simple, quick, effective.

Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. <b><a href="http://www.bmwf650.co.uk" target="_blank">Trevor's UK F650 website</a></b>
  13. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Put a piece of duct tape on the back of each pad, between the pad and caliper. Always works for me. As I understand it, the vibration is coming from this point of contact, and not the pad to rotor. It's the same idea as the anti-squeel goo, just better.

Good Luck
  14. Reformed DucFlogger

Reformed DucFlogger Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer:
    Is that 100 mph fabric duct tape or the metallic heating duct tape (more heat resistant?).

Anyone else tried this?

Tried the sanding+leading/trailing edge bevel+copper anti-sieze on the pad backs = no joy. Still squeals likes a bastard.
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    After 17,000km the squeal is now history, but I don't know why, can only guess that it's wear. Last May, had spent most of the spring riding in the muck, no squeal. Went on a trip to New England then North Carolina, and after a day it was back. Now it's gone again. No clue on this one. :scratch
  16. Reformed DucFlogger

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem with a Duc 888 years ago. went to softer racing pads and it helped.

For my $0.02 worht, when you look at floating calipers + semi-floating disks + your typical OEM hard pads, it should be a recipe for some not-so-nice resonance.

From my very, very (again very) limited research, short of new disks, etc - all you can really do would seem limited to one or more of:

1. Softer pads to absorb/get chewed up (as opposed to react to) variations in the disk surface and thus starting the vibration process. Get great breaking as an aside. Faster pad wear not that big a deal - would prefer that vs. honking like a dump truck a stop lights. Would prefer a penny-tech solution, but....

2. Riding like Dakar rider with some pissed-off Bedouin on his ass. Seems like this is really the same as a good sanding of the disks and pads. Dirt gets between both and after some hard braking, etc - you get two surfaces ground to fit one another? Fun to do, but will have to do after, I suspect, any follow-on protracted street riding.

3. Some form of vibration-absorbing or limiting pad backing. It doesn't appear as if RTV works (was allowed to cure before pads re-installed? Even coat?), but the duct tape solution (which I've seen posted elsewhere) has me intrigued. Part cured RTV alternative and part shim. The question is how does it handle the heat?

Would be nice to find a solution. A little embarrassing on a new bike at stop lights.
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    The dirtier they are, the less they squeal. The harder you stop, the less they squeal, the more you drink :choppa the less they squeal.

So... ride hard in the dirt drunk... and it'll be fine. :nod
  18. Reformed DucFlogger

Oddometer:
    Creeper might be on to something. Oh well, what's an approaching winter like without a project or 12, a heated garage full of tools and, a credit card 'just asking for it' and a bar fridge located next to the tool cart.

WUI - Wrenching Under the Influence.
  19. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    well that was may of 2003... this is october 2004. i now know what was causing my squeakers.. loose spokes, or spokes that were about to break. i (like many pre 03 640 owners) have broken a shitload of spokes on the front left side. caused by (what i believe anyway) excessive torsion on the hub. for whatever reason... the brakes would squeal like a mofo just before a spoke was about to let go... maybe it had already fractured :dunno i have since replaced all my spokes (both sets of wheels) with aftermarket ones... none have broken in 7000km, and the brake no longer squeals.

if you want to know more about the spoke thing do a search. i actually had a couple analyzed in an electron microscope. the pics are here somewhere.
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    You are so :choppa