Squealing Brakes

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Loadedagain, May 9, 2003.

1. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    :confused drunk?
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    No, you "pervy git"...
    I use :choppa for "high"... "stoned"... "faced"... "lip walking"... etc.
  3. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about the greyish silver vinyl faced fabric stuff. Note that it works great on my car's squeely discs, but I haven't tried it on the bike... yet.
  4. Reformed DucFlogger

Reformed DucFlogger Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer:
    Good warning as the bike puts on kilometers. Get a basic out-of-balance/round condition and the vibration would get suddenly worse.

What aftermarket spokes did you use?
  5. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. My front brake's been squawlin' like a spoiled kid since I got the bike. Several days ago I realized it wasn't squealing any more. I was checking the air in the front tire a while later and found a broken spoke.

Searching for spoke data right now... :type
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    So the brakes squealing is a sign that spokes are outa whack? Hm, my brakes squealed from the get go then they were unreliable in their squealing. Might have been when the mech tightened the spokes on a setup check but I thought it came and went at other times too. Maybe my spokes are just barely outa whack? :dunno
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Meat... the '03s have upgraded spokes. Your brakes only squeak when they are cold and/or your just using light pressure... right? It's NORMAL.... got it... NORMAL. :nod I changed to a different brand and compound of pad trying to get rid of it... it still does it. Use your brakes harder... it'll go away. :nod

Man, moto-hypocondria is really something, ain't it? :lol3
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should unearth all those motochondriac threads too? :deal

upgraded spokes? woot!

harder braking? wheel stands? i pretty much have to do a wheel stand to get the stoplight sensor to register me, those poopey-pants that set the sensors got them high enough to only register H2s... :puke1
  9. wjohnb

wjohnb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 02 brakes sqeeled badly, kids would jump into their mothers armns, bears would run up trees etc.

Anyway, I ended up filing a chamfer at about 20degr. on the leading edge of both pads. No squeeling any more!

Anyway, it worked for me!

All the Very Best.
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Yep... that's an old Harley trick too. If you think we're bad, Harley posers have been whining about there squeaking brakes for decades.

The chamfer alters the application of pad to disc in such a way that the "gas layer" is more evenly distributed, reducing the pad chatter... reducing the squeal. At least, thats how it was explained to me by a brake engineer.
  11. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    2 things:

One: A metallurgist friend did some thin sections microscope studies of the late 01/02 spokes that break- they were improperly heat treated, according to him. Samples were from 2 strokes, but I can't imagine that they are different parts. If you have spoke problems, make like Loaded and replace them all prophlac profilac, err, ahead of time.

Two: The brakes on the off-road only bikes will howl, not merely squeak, when they get warm and are used in anger. Very useful in races. Both my KTM's have done it, with a variety of OE and aftermarket pads, and a few different (stock + aftermarket, both solid and wave) rotors. Hell if I know why, but I quit worrying about it. Has never affected the performance whatsoever.
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    There you go Meat... it could always be worse. :nod

I can see where a big handful of brake application in a corner would cause the combatant ahead of you to go a little tight in the pooper. :lol3
    Just enough loss of concentration to pass 'em on the inside. :evil
  13. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i did an analysys on a couple of my own broken spokes under an electron microscope. i can't find the thread right now because the search option is hooped....... i assure you the pics are here.... and the spokes have shitty heat treating (actually it's chrome embrittlement, but no need to split hairs).
  14. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Too bad about the search function these days, eh?
  15. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    :baldy
  16. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    BajaDave is correct, brake noise rarely comes from the rotor or brake pad surface. Most brake squeel is a high frequency vibration between brake pad pins, and brake pad. Duct tape works but melts out, and sometimes is too thick to reassemble. I have used the same products mechanics use on cars with fairly good results, "disc brake quiet" is one brand. This dampens the vibration.
  17. Max Power

Max Power Secret Agent

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]