Squirrel vs '95 Toyota: What Would you Do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nailhead, Sep 5, 2019.

1. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe that when they manufacture the wires the PVC insulation has a plasticiser added to improve flexibility, and it is this that is attractive to rodents of all types. I've had mains wiring eaten by mice and rats in the attic of a home office, which was next to a farmyard, and the farmer had similar problems with network cables in his offices. No easy solution without putting everything in trunking.
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    The biodegradable requirements for automotive vehicles is indeed wreaking havoc like this. Look closer on that vehicle and you're likely going to find nests too, and more damage.

Agree with the likes of moth balls or peppermint oil. Almost hate to admit it, but I've also seen some surprisingly good results from those ultrasonic thingies.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rodents have been chewing on vehicle wiring as long as my experience goes back which is over 50 years. Splice in new wires as the deductible may not allow much help. I doubt that those genetic copper eaters ran from way out there into my KY woods? Chipmunks, rats, mice, tree squirrels all chew stuff, wires, battery insulation wraps, filters and more. My FordF-150 they have eaten most of the cold weather battery insulation off of it. They are the wire to the carbon cannister too-cost me a computer hook-up to find out why I had a check engine light on a new truck.
    My Tundra they'ed build a nest against the cabin air filter from outside unless you switched to no outside air coming in every time you parked it-that's supposed to be fixed on newer trucks? Had a Subaru once that they clogged the A/C drain on it with nests which flooded the floor on pasg side. The day the gvmtn pays for rodent damage is a new day in my experience.:rofl:rofl
    Moth balls will not work in my experience-poison or a cat tied to your engine. Having a healthy snake population works in tandem too. Chipmunks eat all my berries and maters, tree squirrels eat all my pears and apples. Raccoons ate most of our 7 rows of late sweet corn.
    Maybe it's global warming ?:lol2
  4. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for peppermint oil. I would find pack rats in the engine bay of my Datsun while living in Tucson. They never chewed anything, but one got cooked on a drive to Colorado. That didn't smell too great, and there's still a bit of fur on the engine. The peppermint oil seemed to work; either that, or it was their buddy's skeleton keeping them away.

I've known some people to just leave the hood up.
  5. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are going to fix it I would probably try to get a harness from a scrapped car of the same type. Probably easier than repairing the old one. As for the rats, mice or squirrels I use the rat type glue trap. Yeah I know they are not humane but I have not found a better option. snap type rat traps won't catch mice and the mouse snap type traps teach the rats to avoid traps. Anything I care about (motorcycle, tractors, machining equipment) basically anything with wiring I surround with glue traps before I go away anywhere. I have the barn sealed up as best I can but they will always find a way in.
  6. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    hope he has more luck using moth balls, than I had. (same applies to squirrel repellents) try this instead...leave the hood UP when not in use. squirrels nest under something that provides cover from hawks. and avoid situations that don't provide their needed cover. I noted that red insulation seems to get the most attention- same as I experenced
  7. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    squirrels did in a relative's new Subaru... insurance covered it
  8. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Holy Makeral! I thought I was imagining that red seemed preferred. Yikes. Rodents follow other rodents using the scent trail left by the always open excretory tract. So washing the unit will help, parking in slightly different spot. Again no joke about leaving hood up. The effective deterrents would include a savvy dog(s) and proper felines. Often Coons n Possums will stay away from barking dogs. Don’t let your average dog mess with Coons. Proper felines are the ones you get free from rescues, live outside in safe house. Not friendly but work hard at rodents. Set up right, you never see ‘em, but gut piles will let you know they are about. And you have to feed some.
    I’ve seen the buggers wipe out a car’s computer in one weekend of setting! Last Spring went to drive Landcruiser and darned if the entire ducting for heat etc was full of walnuts! Turn on defrost was bad move as got a face full of
    Poop n stuff. Made worse as I don drive no more.......yeah Wife got the turd shower. Poor situation. Cleaning that up was challenging. Buggers crawled in thru vent as I had left it in open position! Who knew to leave in recirc so as to shut door on rodents! That there is a fine tip.
    Tonto
  9. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    No cats are going to be part of the prevention plan: allergic, IIRC.

He hasn't even got it plated yet, so I doubt it's insured.

By your calculus, my bro-in-law, business partner, several friends, relatives, and acquaintances, myself, and anyone else around here not garaging their vehicles is guilty of assault-justifying neglect. Not an accurate or useful generalization.

I've considered the cut-&-splice strategy, but two factors argue against that: 1. Unless those slices are soldered & heat shrink-wrapped, I wouldn't be comfortable with their reliability. 2. In one of the photos above, the main harness bundle can be seen at the firewall connector chewed to the point that a frayed mess of many tiny-gauge wires. I myself would go batshit crazy splicing that.

There are at least a few chewed hoses involved, vacuum and washer fluid come to mind. Good point about those others.

Whatever this thing is, I've never heard of such a problem in an urban setting. Up in the foothills of southeastern Wyoming, we used to have consistent rodent problems in vehicles. It was SOP to leave a box of D-Con on the floorboard of whatever vehicle you were leaving unused for an extended period of time. This place was the middle of nowhere, however; Longmont isn't, and in 35+- years of living & parking in various towns in the region, this is a first for me.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
  10. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    yep, soy based wire insulation...
    Get some Decon
    :hmmmmm
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but De-Con won’t fix the problem, and that’s where I need to go with this.
  12. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your BIL owns his home, it might be worth a call to his home owner's insurance agent. Worst they can say is that it's not covered.
  13. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    If the (your) problem is fixing the wires, the answer is obvious isn't it :dunno:hmmmmm
    De-con will fix the route cause of the/your/that problem...
    reel me in,
    :lol3
  14. Memnok

Memnok Fly high, go far.

Oddometer:
    kenstone likes this.
  15. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    I had a squirrel chew wires under the hood of my truck.
    I fixed it with rat poison pellets. I sprinkled some right where he built a nest, the second time he chewed the wires There was no third time.
  16. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Same here, I fixed it myself in about 2 hours.
    Honda has tape with rat poison inpregnated in it that will stop them. 20190520_150924.jpg 20190520_114703.jpg
  17. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    I had this happen after leaving a car in my driveway for three weeks. Was a rat and it caused $4k in hose and wire damage. The body shop said that they could repair the harness, but I insisted that they replace with new everything. It was covered by insurance. Problem is that it took a month for the parts/repair and even longer for the urine smell to leave.
  18. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Squirrels seem to gnaw on anything relatively solid to sharpen/file their teeth. I don't think it has particularly much to do with any mineral or metal deficiencies....at my last house, I had a very strange roof leak start one day out of the blue. Like, it poured the previous day and nothing then a sprinkle the following day and there's water actively leaking from my bathroom ceiling.

A f'n squirrel ate, as in devoured to the roof line, the lead cover/flashing around the 4" plumbing vent pipe. There were teeth marks on the PVC but the pipe was otherwise untouched and there were no lead pieces or shavings to be found anywhere. Roofer who fixed it said yep, that's common for the little bastards.
  19. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    My workshop is in a rural area and rats are a big problem,Subarus worst affected followed by Toyotas
    S6300037.JPG S6300026.JPG
  20. daslipper

daslipper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best bet is to file a claim with your elected officials under the aforementioned mutated rodent project. Then schedule a in person visit as a follow up. Remember to wear your tin foil hat.