1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Squirrel vs '95 Toyota: What Would you Do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nailhead, Sep 5, 2019.

1. bigride

bigride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was a car mechanic for 30 years. Just patch up the wiring, or find someone who can do it nicely. Make sure the splices are good, fer christ sakes. Tape eveything up with the aforementioned special tape. Last time I ordered it from the interweb.
  2. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go on Amazon and order a bucket of rat bait blocks that have a hole through them. Zip tie blocks under the hood to the harnesses. Rats and squirrels will eat the blocks in preference to the wiring and then die quickly.
  3. Sharkguy

Sharkguy chain lube applier

Oddometer:
    My Dads 2010 f150 was parked in his driveway in lower Michigan for a day and was having trouble starting and running all of a sudden. I thought it was a load of bad gas but when I checked under the hood I noticed a few of the injector wires were chewed through. I suspected rats or squirrels. I spliced some new connectors for the affected injectors and made sure the truck stayed parked in the garage. About two weeks later the truck was parked in the driveway for a couple of hours while I was out doing some work in the yard. I saw something moving under the truck. It looked like a bushy tail swinging under the frame. I ran to the truck and slapped the side of the door hoping to get a look at whatever varmint was responsible for chewing the wires. Nothing would come out of the truck. I opened the door and popped the hood, there right on top of the motor was a huge woodchuck! It took off when it saw me. Then I noticed it had already done a number on the wiring again. 7 coil wires and 6 injector wires chewed through. Luckily there was enough wiring left to splice it again. Insurance would not cover the damage because he didn't have "rodent coverage" believe it or not. I tried mothballs the first time and they didn't work. I then declared war on the woodchuck population that summer and shot 8 of them, and smoke bombed another 3. After doing research I found out the wire insulation in that truck was soy based. I think that with a bit of salt from the winter made a tasty snack.
    kenstone likes this.