Stabbing pain between shoulder blades on F700GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bsumpter, Oct 1, 2019.

1. bsumpter

bsumpter Bring More Wallet

Oddometer:
    Hi all.

I've recently moved from a 2009 DL650 V-Strom to a 2016 F700GS. The BMW is the factory low version, along with the low seat (yes, I'm short). I love this bike, but for some reason after a couple of hours in the saddle I get a stabbing pain between my shoulder blades that is just unbearable. This pain gradually gets worse until I just have to give it up and get off the bike. Usually within a day or so it's calmed down enough for me to try again.

I did some research and made some changes to the bike in an attempt to resolve this, but I've had no luck so far. I've add the Rox 2" risers, and moved the bars back towards me and up a bit for easier reach. I changed the windscreen to a Puig Touring screen to help take some of the wind pressure off my chest and head. I've even switched helmets going from my new (heavier) modular helmet to my old Shoei Hornet DS (lighter) with no change.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm running out of ideas, and about all that I've got left is to try switching the seat in hopes that it changes my position on the bike enough to make some sort of difference.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  2. nonchuck

nonchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem. I solved it by taking profile pictures while seated on the bike with hands on grip. Check your posture if you're leaning or reaching from the shoulders and straighten yourself out. I didnt think I was but I saw it in the pics. Solved my pain.
    morfic likes this.
  3. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Agree. I was going to suggest same pictures on your previous model for comparison. My butt gets sore after 100+ miles on my F700, but never my back or shoulder blades. I’m 5’11” with 32” inseam.
  4. bsumpter

bsumpter Bring More Wallet

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the input! I'll get my wife to take a few photos so I can better see my position on the bike. Fingers crossed it's this simple. :-)
  5. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps something can be learned about your situation from this site:

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Just add the F700GS and any other bike for comparison and see if something stands out? Both the wife and I ride F700gs bikes without this pain. I added 2" Rox risers to mine for standing comfort and am delighted with the result.
  7. Duitser

Duitser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem coming from a 660 Tenere to the 7gs. I raised the bar about 40mm and all is well.
  8. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old thread but new problem for me! I got an f800gs about a year ago and love it. Doing longer rides and having sharp pain in throttle shoulder. I have a throttle lock so when I can i relieve my arm but pain persists. Although I've been trying to take weight off my arms i will pay more attention to body position but should I also get risers?
  9. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don 't have these symptoms but been riding more than 50 years, first time buying risers for a bike and it has been the best change for the F7.....mostly because I can stand comfortably off road and it even feels better on road over distance. I ride spiritedly, for fun, not leisurely....so the bars are getting some serious exercise on any ride and they fit well and feel great. I'm also cheap but this was $ very well spent.
    If you watch the sales sites a set that fits will come along and there are always buyers for a good used set of risers such as the Rox. I bought the 2" risers and the Rox site lists which sets fit with stock cable/hose lengths. Not much risk, easy install.
  10. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Might I suggest a little back exercise???

Something like this to start out...

IMG_20200719_201810.jpg
    bozmotodual16, drneo and Arbolmano like this.
  11. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    I've read posts that said their pain was from being to upright. Adjusting their bars forward helped them stretch out and have their shoulder blades less scrunched up.
  12. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i picked up a $25 posture corrector from amazon that i wear when i ride and it's made a big difference in my upper body/shoulder comfort. fatigue and rounding out the upper back and shoulders can be part of your problem.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  13. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    So, you could be rounded forward or scrunched back beyond upright. You should have someone take a side picture of you in what you feel is your normal all-day riding position. Good reference for what you need to do.
    Arbolmano likes this.
  14. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I get strange back pains that originate from my neck. If I keep from holding neck ridgid it helps my back. Also strong support muscles are the key to comfy riding IMHO.
  15. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Fixed that for you...
  16. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  17. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have F650GS with seat raised about 1.5"
    I'm 6' 1" w/ 32 inch inseam
    There is not substitute for being in shape, but i found that simple 1" "spacer" style risers were a huge improvement for me.

but I have to say that even with only a 1" rise the OEM front brake line was too tight at "lock" for my liking ...
    so I ended up replacing it with a longer one....
  18. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you stand much when riding? I'm way down there at 5'9". I bought the risers to stand comfortably and this has simply transformed the off-road experience for me. I've been riding off road more than 50 years, for background.
    BTW, my 2014 700 had zero issues with cable/hose reach when I installed the Rox 2", great fit. I wouldn't want to go much higher, tho.
  19. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:
    I had this problem and made the same mistakes as you. I found a solution for it eventually but have now sold the bike to upgrade to a r1200gs. I almost didn’t sell the bike just because I had finally managed to bring it to exactly where I was 100% comfortable.

I’m 5.8 with a 31/32 sleeve length. After my various experiments I only realized the solution after riding a friends F700gs.

The shoulder blad pain has to do with two things.

The handlebar heaight adds a little bit but it’s still bearable if you need the Rox risers. I know cause I took them off many a times.
    If you are going to use Tox risers don’t tilt them towards you but rather just straight up for height of the handlebars when needing to stand. If you don’t need it for height take them off.

The most important thing that helped was tilting the handlebar down. There is a dot on the handlebar to set them equally in the center of the risers. Make sure that dot is lower than the point where the riser top touches the bottom part of the riser. Tilting the bars lower brings your elbows in and curves your back to seem more like a sport bike. I also realized that by keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs instead of the mid of the foot helped with the ergonomics towards avoiding pain and being able to lean way more than my other cafe racer.

IF YOUR ELBOWS STICK OUT THEN THERE WILL BE PAIN.

Just my two cents.
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I go off-road a good amount and there's lots of standing involved, but I also do longer on-road rides and a lot of off-road terrain where I am comfortable sitting.
    so the 1" riser is kind of a compromise height and as high as I would go if I wanted the perfect off-road setup...

I forgot about it till @zero war said it, but I have the handlebars rotated back in the clamps almost as far as they will go without having the controls
    hit the "faux-tank" at full lock, and then have the lever-clamps rotated down-forward at a compromise position between best-when-sitting-best-when-standing.