Stabbing pain between shoulder blades on F700GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bsumpter, Oct 1, 2019.

1. 211

211 ThorsPadre

Oddometer:
    Wow,
    You're describing exactly what I started to feel during a 1,500mi 3-days on the bike-ride. Now it hits me after just being on for 30 mins. Its a hot poker type of pain just below my scapula but closer to center of back. I too have a throttle lock but that's just a momentary distraction.

Bike had Rox risers on when bought but I've never been a fan. Rolling the bars back any more makes the switches akward to reach.
    I thought it was more of a pinched nerve so I bought a better seat hoping that will help but I'm still waiting for that to arrive.

If I can come up with a solution that would be amazing. I just turned down a trip thru Wyoming because I didn't think I could hang.

When that pain comes on, it happens fast and there's no un-kinking it once its on.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  2. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    they have these things called handlebars. keep changing them until you find the correct bend.
  3. nonchuck

nonchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol. Posture can be a bitch. Farther away you are from a natural, neutral position the more pain you'll bear.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  4. crawler07

crawler07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also suffered with alot of pain between the shoulders and even up my neck a bit, I drive a Ram 2500 for work daily and put about 200 miles a day in. All this driving was killig me at the neck and between my shoulders, I was finding it hard to ride on the weekends due to the pain

Two simple but effective exercises that will make a huge improvement would be upright shrug's and rear shrug's. Both of these exercises can be performed with no weight and while sitting upright (in a car on a bike in a chair at the house), its as simple as shrugging your shoulders straight up towards your ears and holding them there for a 10 count.
    Now when doing this you need to actually tighten up the muscles as tight as you can at the top the of the motion concentrating on the traps and hold that for the 10 count. The other exercise is the rearward shrug, just the same idea as the shrug I just mentioned except you will sit upwright(straight back good posture) and you will squeeze your shoulderblades together and hold for a 10 count concentrating on tightening the deltoids and the the traps this time. And you need to do this 10 times for each exercise.

This is something you can do each day, a couple times a day would be best,both exercises should only take a around 5 min

I am no physical therapist but I have visited a few, it seem alot of guys suffer from muscle imbalance in this area. I lift regularly 3 days a week and run treadmill 6 days a week 2 miles each morning (helps with my ankle's) so its not an imbalance from being lazy its just something that happens.

Give it a try fella's, I could feel a big diff after just a couple weeks (doing each exercise twice a day) and after a month no pain at all. Now I just do them 3-4 times a week to maintain.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  5. crawler07

crawler07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didnt mean for that to sound like a infomercial, just wanting to help as I know the pain is real.
    shuswap1 and JRWooden like this.
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
  7. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of great info you guys ~ thanks for all the ideas. Some are opposite of each other, which tells me overall its probably posture, and that can mean different things for different folks. I've rotated my bar towards me as much as I can and am contemplating risers. My cables will only allow an inch, and I don't want to go to the expense of extending everything. I've been out of the gym since March (thanks covid!) and have been walking a lot, but am missing weight training and stretching, so will give the suggested shrugs a try. This really sucks and is affecting my riding too, so hopefully a solution is possible.
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I have not been to a gym in years but when the lockdown started I began stretching and simple exercise at home. Cross toe touches, etc. Push ups starting with as many as I could do on the first day and adding one per day every day. You would be surprised at how quickly you progress and how much better you feel.
  9. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Just move the cables from inside the forks to outside the forks. No need to extend.