STACYC 16eDRIVE & 12eDRIVE

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by N8, Jan 20, 2018.

1. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask.

Oddometer:
    bionicman likes this.
  2. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I got the smaller one for my 3 year old and he loves it. I like it too, this thing is brilliant. He has been riding Strider since he learned how to walk, so the very first time he jumped on Stacyc he just took off without falling (2.3yo) Now that he gained a bit of confidence he rides it in intermediate mode, and it rips. It will do a burnout and he already looped it a couple of times trying to do a wheelie.

IMG_20170824_185810.jpg

super lightweight, very well built. Decent battery life. Charges quick

No likes:

handlebar controls are way too big for little hands. I switched the grips to super thin Rentals made for trials and it's much better. Still can't reach the brake though.

No engine braking. Picks up way too much speed going downhill, and it's pretty whobbly at speed.

I wish it had real footpegs instead of platform. This would give the rider much better control imho.

Overall, this bike has no competition. I wish every parent would know about it.
    Navin, voltsxamps and N8 like this.
  3. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    And how having foot pegs over floor boards give more control?
  4. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    I think they will put the feet a little wider and give more leverage. Kind of like handlebar does. Have you ever tried putting your feet up on the frame while riding a bicycle? Instant wobble :) Just my .02 of course.
  5. N8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. I think pegs would get in the way of "striding". Those floor board are a best compromise as far as I see it. Striders have similar places to put your feet and my son never had any trouble blasting around on it at a very young age.
    Navin, voltsxamps and Lutz like this.
  6. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The point of strider-type bikes is the young ones are going to have their feet down as they learn to balance anyway; pedals and pegs just get in the way. Then as they get more confident an in control, they can lift their feet longer and longer at a time, and the small foot rests give them a place to put their feet, but get them back down in a instant.
    Once they're ready for real pegs or pedals, they're ready for different bikes.
    voltsxamps and N8 like this.
  7. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the review. I was thinking of unloading my almost 4-year old's OSET 12.5 for a STACYC 16, but with no braking from the motor combined with adult sized hand controls (same on the OSET, really unforgivable) I think I may hold off.
  8. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    I actually talked to guys from Stacyc at one of the shows, amd apparently they are developing something to fit smaller hands.
  9. bionicman

bionicman On your Mom

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1520897934886.jpg
    Osetbikes.com my kid rides
  10. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    What kind of grips did you end up using? I got a pair of STACYC 16 bikes for my 2 and 4 year old boys, and both of them do need a smaller diameter handgrip to be comfortable.
  11. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    Renthal trials grips. The thinnest I could find.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are these using a typical, standard tool battery by chance? Something you can get at Home Depot for instance?
  13. jasonmt

jasonmt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Navin likes this.
  14. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    Nice find
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

The vid tells me enough to go in another direction. This is where they all seem to miss the mark. Universal batteries are already on the shelf. $170 for a 15 minute run time? Na. Nice conversion job by the guy though.
  16. N8

Oddometer:
    So far my son gets way more than 15 minutes but he's on the slowest speed setting. I can't believe how little he's been interested in it. His mom and I both ride dirt bikes every weekend. WTH? Someday he'll be hooked like us. Trying not to force the issue.
    Lutz and Navin like this.
  17. jasonmt

jasonmt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I already am somewhat invested in the Dewalt 20V and 60V product line so in my case the batteries are already paid for and plentiful:

20180918_183118.jpg
    MJSfoto1956 and Navin like this.
  18. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    It's hard to see in that video, but the photos make it look like the DeWalt batteries would just hook right in like the standard STACYC battery. How are they different?
  19. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    I found my oldest wasn't into riding for long (meaning more than maybe 4 laps around the yard) on his OSET before getting this STACYC. I was able to keep his interest by giving him something challenging to do. For example, lay out a broomstick for him to ride over, or have him try to run over a particular leaf. These things seem trivial to an adult who knows how to ride, but for them it's all new. Worth a shot.
    N8 likes this.
  20. jasonmt

jasonmt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like he made a adapter plate from the STACYC battery connection to the Dewalt 20V / 60V connection using a Dewalt 60V shipping protector and the connection plate from a Dewalt 18V to 20V cradle, IE:

Use the Dewalt 60V shipping protector as a mount on the bike (Red portion in youtube video):
    DesktopPdpHeroImage.jpg

And use the innards of the Dewalt 18V to 20V cradle to make a adapter from the STACYC battery connection to the Dewalt 20V / 60V batteries:
    DCA1820.jpg

If you are not familiar with the Dewalt 60V product line the batteries work in series or parallel, IE a Dewalt 60V 9AH battery will run as a 20V 9AH or a 60V 3AH battery depending on the pins present in 20V or 60V tools. They will work and charge on all 20V tools and chargers as well.