Staintune slip-on for High Flow 640a

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by positionsize, Jan 6, 2008.

1. positionsize

positionsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings Everyone,

I just received my Staintune slip on exhaust for my 04 640a but I have not installed it yet.

I have already read all the 640 LC4 setup threads.

However, I would like to hear some specific feedback from those with Staintune slip on exhausts (not full systems)
    and 2003 and above High Flow 640a's as to what other mods you made with this exhaust on and why.

These are the basic setup questions I have:
    1)What year and model is you bike
    2)db eater in or out? ( i will most likley run mine without the db eater)
    3)side airbox cover mod or snorkel removed?
    4)needle clip height.
    5)main jet size.
    6)Do you notice any difference in performance with the db eater in or out?
    7)Did you make any other changes than the ones I have mentioned?
    8)Do you have any dyno test info on your final set up?

Thanks

Edit=added a question
  2. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    Practice my young padawan.
  3. Ned H

Ned H Freedom Rider

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hey Dotbond
    After 20 :confused tries, I went & deleted the text only to see your reply & in a strange way, undeleted my reply.
    Practice it is I suppose, will see how this one comes out. Cheers

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  4. Ned H

Ned H Freedom Rider

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">It Worked!!:D </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Cheers.
  6. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:

My experiences with BST40 mods and Staintune are here...:D

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1449461&postcount=36
  7. positionsize

positionsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks desmonc for the reply and the link. It is exactly what I needed.
    I had read your post in that thread before but I think at the time I was
    not yet looking at Staintune. All very helpful info in you post!

So far this is my plan. I am doing the same as you with a few exceptions.

2004 640a
    Staintune Slip-on
    Needle clip height=4th notch from the top
    Main jet size 160

I already have the KTM race side airbox part here so I will install that instead of pulling the snorkel.

I probably wont reduced the Pilot air jet to 1.1. I do have one on hand but right now, I don&#8217;t want to pull the carb out unless I absolutely need to. I am little bit fuzzy on this one. You wrote that it made a big difference, but In reading Creeper's LC4 Setup Thread he mentions that he had "found no improvement by increasing the fuel or decreasing the air jet size" on the HighFlows. So before reducing the air jet, I will see if I am able to achive a proper idle mixture with the stock jet. Perhaps you could elaborate about you findings?

Lastly, I like the fact that Staintune is a bit noisy with the db eater out. Here in Philippines noisy is good! Motorcycle noise abatement is a non-issue here. No tree huggers allowed :lol3 We have too many stray dogs and goats roaming and sleeping on the middle of the roads.(mostly an night but in the daytime too) Also, when school lets out, the children always play way too close if not directly in the main road. So for me, if they all hear me coming, it is far better for safety :thumb
  8. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    And while you guys are at it, how about killing all these funky font colors. I think I'm going blind... :cry
  9. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    ChrisC stop the complaining and enjoy.

BTW, that is not why your going blind.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    No, no, no that kills baby chickens...
  11. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    A significant criticism of the 640a is that it does not run well at low rpm or below 4000rpm.
    The idle circuit plays a part in controlling the air/fuel mixture at low engine rpm.

Before decreasing the Pilot air jet size my idle mixture screw was turned all the way out (3.5 turns) just to get the bike to idle properly with the Staintune muffler.
    After changing the Pilot Air jet the mixture screw is back to the recommended 2.25 turns which leads me to believe that the idle mixture needed to be richer (at sea level anyway).
    Sommer KTM and Flanny's guide both recommend this change.
    You could increase the size of the Pilot fuel jet which according to the experiences of many other riders has the same effect. This jet is located next to the main jet in the float bowl and with some care you may be able to replace it without removing the carb. The part No. for this jet is in my post.
    Have a go at getting the carb out, once you get started you will work it out.
    It makes changing the jets a lot easier and you get to have a good look inside.
    Have fun.:D
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I might need a quieter can, and I would rather make a sparky than repack so... I am wondering if anyone knows where the posts went about the fella who fitted a Staintune header to his hi-flow LC4. Not supposed to work, but I want to clear this bug from my head before I decide WTF to do.

Maybe the bigger bore headers don't really matter for me, my setup, or the can with dB insert installed - but again :dunno

CBT still has 'em I guess:
    http://www.cbtimports.com/staintune/stntnktmapps.htm
  14. Dave Dave

Dave Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a question. If the only difference with the staintune and other cans is the stainless packing, why not get one that you like and just re-pack yourself with about $10.00 worth of stainless or bronze steel wool. The bronze would actually be better IMO but I might be mistaken. You can also go to a local machine shop and ask them for the machining curls from some stainless when they do that type of work. It will be fairly course and should stand up to the heat well. It's cheap as well!
  15. Nico

Nico The Sexiest of Silverbacks.

Oddometer:
    Damn n00bs and their logical thinking.

Assimilate now, or be drawn and quartered!

:D
  16. Dave Dave

Dave Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And what the hell is up with the piss poor selection of cans for this ride?
  17. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    I've been around a few machine shops albeit years ago. I've yet to see anything in the way of swarf (waste) from lathes that would approximate to very fine steel wool or its physical equivalent. Of course, if there's a machining process out there that creates very fine steel wool like material as a waste by-product, then you may have a good idea. Any material subject to normal corrosion is unlikely to work as a long term packing material due to the corrosive nature of exhaust gases.

Either way, care is needed as it may just end up in tears!

[​IMG]
  18. Dave Dave

Dave Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you ever watch How it's Made they use a lathe and a large solid roll of steel to make steel wool. Actually a cool process. But anyway, you can purchase bronze as well as stainless wool in varying courseness. I get mine from a buddy that does plating like chrome and such. The cleaning solvents and acids will kill normal steel so he uses stainless for some and bronze for copper and brass. So there you grouchy bastard!!!! :rofl
  19. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Any leo vince, Pro Circuit, FmF made for a 625sxc will fit and can be had...
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Thread in the index on all the aftermarket cans for the LC4s - there's more than that, or at least there was...