Stalling and Cutting out?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Huber Tuber, May 4, 2006.

1. Huber Tuber

Huber Tuber Beer is good

Oddometer:
    Any one know about the 2005.5 stalling out or just dying while driving along? Any thoughts?
  2. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some things to check:
    Check your idle speed first (1400 rpm Minimum). If that doesn't fix it check for fuel line routing (pinched, crimped). Following that check the carbs for fuel contamination in the idle & slow speed circuits, blow them out. A drop of water in a jet can cause great frustration. And no, that drop of water will not clear itself. :D

Do a search of the forum w/r to stalling, ect. Good Luck.
  3. Conner

Conner CodeNameChuck

Oddometer:
    Mine used to cut out, then die. Turns out I had a short in the wire to the fuel pump. Fixed and problem solved.
  4. 950 Adventurer Nut

950 Adventurer Nut Lunatic

Oddometer:
    I know if the choke is out or comes out after the bike has warmed up it will cut out.
  5. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carb balancer pipe if you've recently had a service or any work done.
  6. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Whenever I turned the gas handle, while in idle, the motor died! The mix at the low rpms was too rich!!
    Some have reported bad electrical connections to the battery, or fuel pump problems if submerging it occasionally...

Try to give us more hints!! Did you drop it before all these happened, did you have a wild riding weekend???
  7. XsilverGS

XsilverGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 950 stopped cutting out / stalling once the needles were returned to the original positions, previous the needles were raised one as suggested by KTM when used with Akras.

With the needles in the standard position fuel economy improved and the bike has cutout once in about 4,000 miles, with needles raised it would stop without warning when the throttle was closed, at junctions or on down changes approaching hairpin bends etc.
  8. ephemeris

ephemeris UYPL

Oddometer:
    Mine will stall at 2,000 rpm, somewhat intermittent and annoying in tight turn/transition situations.

Haven't figured it out yet.

Fuel and vent lines clear, canister gone, SAS capped, Akra's, stock main jets, needles at 3rd, 70 air correction jets, fuel screws at 1.25.

Runs very well though the range except it will hiccup and stall right at 2K rpm.

:dunno
  9. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unles you increased the size of the idle jets the idle screw setting of 1.25 sounds like it may be lean unless you run high altitudes.
  10. APBlack

APBlack nOOb on a fly

Oddometer:
    Interesting..Mine stalled alot up untill it's 600 mile service.. removed all the emissions crap, raised the needles and installed Akros and it has not stalled once in the last 1500 miles. makes me think there are other reasons maybe.

11. Katoomich

Katoomich n00b

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about 950 adventure carb challenges. After a long minnesota winter, the bike lags & cuts out while accelerating off idle to perhaps 5500rpm. Feels like an air bleed is dirty causing poor fuel atomizing? Lots of exhaust popping. I have burned a couple tanks of fuel and no improvement. Time to take the carbs apart or?
  12. drwet

drwet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the problem so bad the bike finally wouldn't run at all. Had it in at the dealer for eight months!!! Fortunately they were all winter months. KTM finaly sent their troubleshooter into town to check it out. Turns out there is a problem with some of the fuel tanks (mine is an 04). Aparently they react with some fuel additives and produce a precipitate which is variously described as a gel or slime or cobweb like substance. This stuff gums up the carbs and causes fuel starvation. KTM put new tanks on my bike and it runs better than it ever has.
  13. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Keep us updated on what you find. Mine's doing something similar. It idles fine, but right off idle up to about 1/4 throttle it seems to be loading up. I figure the carbs got some gummy action going on over the winter. Maybe some clogged pilots?
  14. Katoomich

Katoomich n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap
  15. Katoomich

Katoomich n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Well, It;s obvious I'm not computer savvy here. The Answer to my surging symptoms turned out to be fueling related. I found an almost sheet-rock dust like deposit or dried toothpaste-like deposit down the throat of both carbs. A tan colored film. It probably restricted the jets as well as the main off idle air bleed. Did the work myself and was amazed to recall just how jewell-like the throttle response can be on that bike. Backed the idle mix screws out 2 7/8 turns. life is good.
  16. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response, Katoomich. I bet that's my issue as well. I ran some fuel additive through the bike and that seems to have helped, but the bike is still cutting out a bit and loading up.

Looks like I'll be doing some carb cleaning soon....
  17. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    Interesting...I pulled my carbs apart today and found the exact same dried film. It looked whitish-tan -- almost like dried up lithium grease. I hosed the carb down with carb/choke cleaner and it seems to be back to its old self. It's rainy and cold here today, so I wasn't able to test ride it much. So far, so good...
  18. jimboecv

jimboecv n00b

Oddometer:
    Katoomich (and others), I just experienced the same issue w/my '06 950 today. Only idles, eradicily too, w/full choke. Once warmed up, I can't roll the throttle on, but if I wack it open it boggs and if it doesn't die burbbles until 5k rpms, where it opens up great.

Mid to high circuts seem OK, just low speed. Humm...

To note: Bike's been sitting for about 4 months. No fuel additives or anything, bike's stock too. Only 1500 miles; Grrrrrrr. Have you guys seen any other threads related to this? I'm in the process of searching now.
  19. C.Fowler

C.Fowler Motorcycle Grandma

Oddometer:
    All fuel has additives.
  20. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Late last year some may remember my plight with my early 04' spitting, popping and not running on any idle without dying. Turned out my carbs needed to be cleaned. That meant pulling every jet and cleaning them and the passages with carb cleaner and high pressure air. Bike was a completely different animal after that. Think I will make it an annual cleaning now. Also I had the white residue in both carbs.